Rumor: [Boston Globe] Matt Porter: Orlov sounds like he wants a deal with the Caps. Open to Bruins, certainly, but a lot of years there.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Where are the Caps going?

Why would it be wise for them to sign a 32y to longterm contract?
To get to the middle and stay there

Eh, having a few guys who can play and lead through a retool is more important than people realize

its why a lot of the teams who commit to full rebuilds spend a decade resetting their rebuilds

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
They don't really have a contending window anymore, they can probably make the playoffs but they aren't going to be serious threats for the cup going forward anyways. The goal at this point is just to enjoy the final years of Ovi and get the all-time record.
You Oiler fans I tell ya. If the Florida Panthers (this season), LA Kings (circa 2012-2014), and countless others have taught you nothing; every team that makes the playoffs is a serious threat for the Cup.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You Oiler fans I tell ya. If the Florida Panthers (this season), LA Kings (circa 2012-2014), and countless others have taught you nothing; every team that makes the playoffs is a serious threat for the Cup.
WSH coming off a presidents trophy this year, or have won a cup in the last 2 years such that we expect them to follow the path of that Kings team?

Every team that makes the playoffs has a chance to win the cup, to me that doesn't make every one of the 16 teams a serious contender, think we just have different definitions of that word. Yeah me being an Oiler fan gives me front row seating to this, we made the WCF and got swept, lots and lots of people this year were on the fence about our chances coming in because of our goaltending and D.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Hardly the intentional kind. The Caps traded him to highest bidder. I’m happy if it works out for them but it seems silly to give their management credit as if they intentionally took less and traded him to a team in this situation vs just trading him to the team that wanted him the most and paid for it.
Somehow I think you; completely missed the point, tried to downplay the wisdom of Wsh GM Management, and missed a possible contextual detail. I’d say the return Wsh got on Orlov and Hathaway was actually not as high as it could have been but the reasoning you suggest is likely flawed.

Caps Management SHOULD get credit for what (it’s highly likely they DID DO) which is ask those players where they’d like to go to try to win a Cup.

I’d venture Wsh Management spoke to these players and were willing to accept a lower bid to give these players their choice of landing spot. The fact Orlov wants to come back may have been essentially Baked In. It’s all conjecture but trying to spin this as though it’s somehow an indictment of Wsh Management is curiously off-base.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
WSH coming off a presidents trophy this year, or have won a cup in the last 2 years such that we expect them to follow the path of that Kings team?

Every team that makes the playoffs has a chance to win the cup, to me that doesn't make every one of the 16 teams a serious contender, think we just have different definitions of that word. Yeah me being an Oiler fan gives me front row seating to this, we made the WCF and got swept, lots and lots of people this year were on the fence about our chances coming in because of our goaltending and D.
The Kings were fourth in their Division and barely made the Playoffs in 2010-11 (the season before their Cup run).

WSH was a WC2 with 100PTs in 2021. For a significant portion of 2020 they were in contention to win the Metro Division and ended the season 2nd in the division and 7th overall in the League. So…..yeah, if anything the Capitals of the past two seasons were better than those Kings teams.

If the Caps play their hand correctly they’ll be knocking on the door to the Playoffs again next season, they were for a significant portion of THIS season despite having $50M of salary on IR AT THE SAME TIME at certain points this season.

Make the DANCE and then play your hand. Any one can win at any time.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That’s setting up for a really rough 8-10 years for Was fans.
Would you honestly rather be a Bruins fan or a Caps fan from now until the Draft?

Regular Seasons are nice but ultimately not very meaningful. The Caps are already turning to the future with a lineup brimming with young players and only two notable vets on longer Contracts that are manageable (Oshie/Backstrom). The Caps have ONE THING to play for in the next two years and it’s likely not the POs. As a guy with as many grey hairs and as few teeth as THAT GUY we’re watching, don’t worry we’ll be just fine.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Orlov started well but was closer to a Kaberle by the end. Afraid to shoot and little to no physicality by the playoffs. What appeared to be a stellar trade became adequate at best, no fault of Sweeney.

A long term contract will be regretted.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Somehow I think you; completely missed the point, tried to downplay the wisdom of Wsh GM Management, and missed a possible contextual detail. I’d say the return Wsh got on Orlov and Hathaway was actually not as high as it could have been but the reasoning you suggest is likely flawed.

Caps Management SHOULD get credit for what (it’s highly likely they DID DO) which is ask those players where they’d like to go to try to win a Cup.

I’d venture Wsh Management spoke to these players and were willing to accept a lower bid to give these players their choice of landing spot. The fact Orlov wants to come back may have been essentially Baked In. It’s all conjecture but trying to spin this as though it’s somehow an indictment of Wsh Management is curiously off-base.
People believe what they want to believe. If you choose to think that they intentionally traded them to Boston because it gave them the best chance to get Orlov back, more power to you. It’s certainly possible Orlov said he’d want to come back the whole time, so it didn’t matter where they traded him. Again this would’ve be a reason to give the management team an extra pat on the back.

I hope he does go back, I think of him as a Capital and I think he’ll be a good player for them as they transition into whatever’s next.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Trading him to a contender that couldn't possibly re-sign him due to cap issues and then re-signing him would be unreal asset management by the Caps
Or you know a regular trade deadline move lol. Whatever makes you feel better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad