Boston - Fringe Contender or Rebuild Candidate

What are the Bruins?

• Total voters

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
They're probably gonna suck this season (injuries and all), but they'll be back in the thick of things sooner than later (they really could use a high draft pick or two).

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Might as well continue to go for it as long as they have Bergeron but once he takes a step back, it's time to blow it up

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I dunno about fringe contenders.

I consider them to be at best the third best team in their current division, let alone considering the other divisions. How low is the bar for fringe contention?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I dunno about fringe contenders.

I consider them to be at best the third best team in their current division, let alone considering the other divisions. How low is the bar for fringe contention?

I think there's the Tampa/Toronto/Vegas expectation tier and then a few teams below them that I'd call fringe contenders like Carolina, Dallas, and Blues based on hype.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
When did I do that? I said expectation tier and based on hype.

You used their tier. That's what I'm saying. The oddsmakers have the most outlandish predictions every year. They have no credibility to begin with.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
When did I do that? I said expectation tier and based on hype.

I don't think you understand how odds come about. Toronto has a large, rabid fanbase, it's affecting the odds. I see what you are doing, though...building the disappointment to add a little extra flavour to it.

I think the tier are:

Colorado/Tampa/Vegas
-----
Boston's tier with NYI/Dallas/Carolina/St. Louis/etc

The top tier feels like almost a lock for winning a cup, next are the teams with potential but work to do. Toronto comes into the tier below that with teams that are either on the rise, or teams that are good but haven't proven they are a real threat.

Boston still has Rask, McAvoy, Bergeron, Pasta and Marchand, and I will never count them out with those 5 all on the team. They've proven they can carry a mediocre supporting cast to deep into the playoffs.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
With a perfect spring, a hot run, they can still win the Cup. So, no, not at rebuild mode yet.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fringe contenders. Not one of the few best in the league, but they have a chance once the playoffs start. They are two or three years away though from missing the playoffs entirely.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I was writing an opus on how the Bruins PP and PK have not missed Krug and Chara and that the teams Achilles heel of lack of depth scoring and a soft group up front has been patched... but maybe just better if we bump this annual thread about the death of the Bruins in a couple months.

Reactions: b in vancouver

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
still one of the contenders in my eyes. behind probably tampa colorado and vegas, but theyre right there after those teams

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
They'll make the playoffs but they aren't contenders. They're gonna be middle of the pack for the next 2-3 ish years. If they can hit on a couple draft picks they'll be contenders again, if they bust, then rebuild mode around Pasta/Marchand.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean, the last two postseasons they lost to the Cup champs (once in the SCF). They won the Presidents Trophy last year. They still have their best players.

As long as they don't play Tampa they should be fine.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I mean, the last two postseasons they lost to the Cup champs (once in the SCF). They won the Presidents Trophy last year. They still have their best players.

As long as they don't play Tampa they should be fine.

Or montreal because that doesn't usually go well for Boston no matter how much better a team they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad