Boston Bruins system flush with size and toughness

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Boston Bruins have not been afraid to acquire prospects, whether by draft or trade. Love it or hate it, the Tyler Seguin trade gave the Bruins even more depth in their minor league system. Reilly Smith is currently in the NHL while Matt Fraser and Joe Morrow are considered to be close to NHL ready and valuable commodities.

Boston has also drafted its fair share of players that that are considered close to the NHL, and Ryan Spooner leads that group as one of the most dynamic players in the AHL. Spooner was one of the final cuts from the big clubs roster during training camp, and there is a reason he led all AHL rookies last season with 57 points (17 goals, 40 assists).… read more

More...

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario

The Boston Bruins have not been afraid to acquire prospects, whether by draft or trade. Love it or hate it, the Tyler Seguin trade gave the Bruins even more depth in their minor league system. Reilly Smith is currently in the NHL while Matt Fraser and Joe Morrow are considered to be close to NHL ready and valuable commodities.

Boston has also drafted its fair share of players that that are considered close to the NHL, and Ryan Spooner leads that group as one of the most dynamic players in the AHL. Spooner was one of the final cuts from the big clubs roster during training camp, and there is a reason he led all AHL rookies last season with 57 points (17 goals, 40 assists).… read more

More...

Good read.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

More...

Great stuff, always like reading about prospects I have yet to see

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Good read. I really like the mix of skillsets we have. Lots of depth and it's only going to get better.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Going to be interesting moving forward with Keith Gretzky as Director of Amateur Scouting replacing Wayne Smith who I am 100% assuming was the force behind the Colborne/Hamill/Caron picks?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Going to be interesting moving forward with Keith Gretzky as Director of Amateur Scouting replacing Wayne Smith who I am 100% assuming was the force behind the Colborne/Hamill/Caron picks?

in fairness to Smith, I dont think he is a bum at all like some are saying, and I dont think he had full autonomy over these drafts. Far from it. Kirk knows what the heck is going on here and could straigthen me out if I am wrong.

I think we are talking area of concentration, prep work, etc....philosophy...fishing hole (OHL)

The one of the three that grab me is Colborne- Caron is still very young and was taken 25...he may work out at some point even though I dont think its here

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
in fairness to Smith, I dont think he is a bum at all like some are saying, and I dont think he had full autonomy over these drafts. Far from it. Kirk knows what the heck is going on here and could straigthen me out if I am wrong.

I think we are talking area of concentration, prep work, etc....philosophy...fishing hole (OHL)

The one of the three that grab me is Colborne- Caron is still very young and was taken 25...he may work out at some point even though I dont think its here

I`m a Caron backer as I am sure you know, I have often mentioned if he was a 2nd rounder chosen 45th, he wouldn`t receive half the hammering he gets.

It was just a weird move I thought, I understand that many of 1st rounders they picked (outside the obvious Segs/Hamilton) just never developed but truth is, you can look at every organization and see this. Where I really like the B`s drafting is in the rounds after the 1st, it`s almost like they settle in, the nerves of the 1st round pick are over with and they focus more:)

I really don`t/didn`t have issues with Smith, I`m so unfamiliar with the draft process, but I am interested to see what attitude/approach Chia has asked Gretzky to address in his approach to scouting.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I`m a Caron backer as I am sure you know, I have often mentioned if he was a 2nd rounder chosen 45th, he wouldn`t receive half the hammering he gets.

I think he if was picked 45th overall, he likely would not have gotten the chances at the NHL level that he has gotten. The issue with Caron is he is a 3rd or 4th line energy type guy. I would love to see him on the 4th line over Sugar Shawn at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad