Confirmed with Link: Boston Bruins Sign Colton Hargrove to Entry Level Deal

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Neither do the Seguin & Hamilton picks- they were no brainers dropped into Chiarelli's lap.

This is a silly statement for a number of obvious reasons, some are:

- He had 30 top ranked players to select from as do all GMs each and every year. The bruins could have selected outside the box but didn't.

- So what exactly is the break even point for no brainer selections ? (Remember Alexander Daigle?)

- Chia did well acquiring assets/first and second rounders / and not trading away first rounders hence why he landed the likes of Seguin, Hamilton, Subban, and Pasta.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
This is a silly statement for a number of obvious reasons, some are:

- He had 30 top ranked players to select from as do all GMs each and every year. The bruins could have selected outside the box but didn't.

- So what exactly is the break even point for no brainer selections ? (Remember Alexander Daigle?)

- Chia did well acquiring assets/first and second rounders / and not trading away first rounders hence why he landed the likes of Seguin, Hamilton, Subban, and Pasta.

So we are giving him credit for not going off the board, and instead picking the BPA's with Seguin and Hamilton?

That is a silly statement for a number of reasons.

Also, implying the top 30 ranked players are close to even is absurd

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
So we are giving him credit for not going off the board, and instead picking the BPA's with Seguin and Hamilton?

That is a silly statement for a number of reasons.

Also, implying the top 30 ranked players are close to even is absurd

Discounting his draft record because you and I would have both made the pick is equally absurd. These are players he drafted and they should count for something. We can all look at the results on the ice and come to the same conclusion. He ***** the bed this year. Now does the blame fall on the drafting record (Hamill), on poor asset management (Seguin), or does it fall somewhere else (Lack of change)?

Anyways pretty excited about Hargrove. He has a name (This is what I base my talent analysis on these days) that sounds like something a Hockey Announcer would love to say.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This is a thread about Colton Hargrove NOT Tyler Seguin or Dougie HamiltoN. Would it kill people to stay on topic for once?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
No credit for drafting seguin. Credit for drafting Hamilton.

I guess more so for Hamilton than Seguin, but Hamilton was an absolute no-brainer.

He was the 5th ranked skater entering the draft, and a big, mobile, potential #1 two-way defenseman was the biggest thing this team needed. We had been searching for a guy like him for years, without much... er... any success. He fell significantly, I remember right before Philly took Couturier (I thought Hamilton to them was a no-brainer) I was really ecstatic that we had a chance to get Murphy. Never thought Hamilton would fall to us, we really lucked out. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in 4-5 years, when we're talking about a 2011 re-draft, Hamilton is 1st overall.

Hall/Seguin were the clear #1/2 in 2010 no doubt about it, but Hamilton wasn't much of a decision either.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I guess more so for Hamilton than Seguin, but Hamilton was an absolute no-brainer.

He was the 5th ranked skater entering the draft, and a big, mobile, potential #1 two-way defenseman was the biggest thing this team needed. We had been searching for a guy like him for years, without much... er... any success. He fell significantly, I remember right before Philly took Couturier (I thought Hamilton to them was a no-brainer) I was really ecstatic that we had a chance to get Murphy. Never thought Hamilton would fall to us, we really lucked out. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in 4-5 years, when we're talking about a 2011 re-draft, Hamilton is 1st overall.

Hall/Seguin were the clear #1/2 in 2010 no doubt about it, but Hamilton wasn't much of a decision either.

The fact he was ranked 5 and fell to 9 means the teams 5-8 went off the board. Bruins could have done the same. I thought it was a gift from the hockey gods when it happened too, but who knows where they had him on their board. Could have been 11th for them

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Official release from WMU http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=209977391

Article from January talking about how things just clicked for him http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2015/01/wmu_hockey_forward_colton_harg_2.html

Up for goal of the year. Video #2 on the page http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/493025?referrer_id=878553

No "official" announcement from the Bruins yet but I'm sure that's comming perhaps tomorrow when practice resumes.

He was one of the top prospects in Dev Camp this past year so it was nice to see that it carried over into his season.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised at the signing but I love it and I think he's going to do well in Providence. I honestly don't see him challenging for a spot in Boston out of camp. I trust Sweeney and his assessment of the college guys.

Colton is definitely a Bruin. Hard nosed, not afraid to get dirty and has a good head on his shoulders.

His mom and dad have to be over the moon. Such great people.

Going to be strange not to have him in Dev Camp this year .

Last edited:

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Good signing IMO. I don't see more than a 3rd liner though but if he progresses to more I'll be elated.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Given the Bruins spotty draft history, the sixth and seventh rounders stand a better chance of making to the NHL than the first and second rounders.

So yeah, the 2007-2009 drafts were bad.

But.

Spooner, Trotman - both on roster now and part of the plan for next year.

Dougie, Koko, Ferlin - at least two of those guys are parts of the puzzle for next year. One of them is the major piece of the future. Koko has real 2nd line upside.

Subban, Grzelcyk, Griffith - Subban has #1 potential and is progressing. Grzelcyk, Griffith are playing well. Griffith has played well at NHL level.

Arnesson, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald - Getting into guys pretty far away, but Arnesson is doing well, Cehlarik is a guy teams called about at the TDL, and Fitzgerald led BC in scoring this year.

Pastrnak, Donato, Heinen - Pasta has been pretty good. Heinen was NCAA ROY. Donato. I dunno. He is Teddy's son. Who cares?

The Bruins have drafted a lot better.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If he turns into a 4th line grinder, I will be more than thrilled.

We got some big kids in the system now. Good signing.

This and other moves to sign big, physical players should hearten all of us who love the BBB style & have been dispirited to see it go missing in this season from hell.

It should also indicate to all of those calling for Chia's head that he remains committed to that style of play.

excellent news. :yo::handclap::nod:

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Big deal.Peter Chiarelli needs to start finding talent that can score not plugs.Enough players like this in system already.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Big deal.Peter Chiarelli needs to start finding talent that can score not plugs.Enough players like this in system already.

Name two.

I've got Hickman, who is a guy we haven't seen play a game as property of the Bruins. We don't have many guys who are legitimately big with a little finish anymore. It's Lucic on the main roster and that's about it.

God forbid we sign a guy with size who has done nothing but progress and impress since being drafted.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Fantastic! A big body that can get in on the forecheck and turn some pucks over! Hard to say what we have here yet --not sure what his pro game confidence will look like a year from now, but he has the tools.

Well sounds like some people are ready to run him out of town before he gets in.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Camara ain't that big. And even still how does Camara, a guy who has shown nothing, equate to "enough players like this in the system"?

You mean like Hutchinson who showed nothing as a top goalie here yet there he is playing great in the Peg... some players show there true colours in another organization. It took Devan Dubnyk four organizations but now has found his game... some guys just don't work out in a situation but flourish in another... lots of examples...

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You mean like Hutchinson who showed nothing as a top goalie here yet there he is playing great in the Peg... some players show there true colours in another organization. It took Devan Dubnyk four organizations but now has found his game... some guys just don't work out in a situation but flourish in another... lots of examples...

That is not the point I was making or the point being made at all. Yes, of course some guys do well with a change of scenery. Everybody knows this. I'm just saying there are not a lot of players like Hargrove in the system- particularly in terms of having nice size and a little finish.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I hate the Donato pick. Hate it. Much better options out there, this kid probably wouldn't have been chosen until the 3rd round. B's didn't have a 3rd last year, Chiarelli too loyal to Teddy Donato.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I hate the Donato pick. Hate it. Much better options out there, this kid probably wouldn't have been chosen until the 3rd round. B's didn't have a 3rd last year, Chiarelli too loyal to Teddy Donato.

Who would you have picked?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad