GDT: Boston Bruins @ Red Wings - 7:30 - EST - FSD

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Frk is totally expendable , after AA took his bread at PP
Disagree.

AA has never looked good on the PP. Frk does. Frk knows how to distribute the puck and is one hell of a right handed shot. AA looks lost on the PP for real. Like if he has to set up in the zone instead of busting in full speed and making things happen off the rush he just doesn't know what to do.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Maybe we'll pick 31st? :sarcasm:
I approve of this! Even better if we could avenge ourselves against the Pens by sweeping them with NHL record 4 consecutive shutouts. Add NJ to that list. Guess we could settle for beating the: NJ, TML/B's, Pens, then Nash/SJ etc. (any team that beat us in our last PO matchup)...LA not included because I actually like them....HM to rivalries: Avs/Ana/Chi. If we enter as a WC1 or WC2 it is mathematically possible to draw that exact scenario, assuming the opponents slotted correctly.

Or...

I'd like to see the Pens miss the PO's, (by 1 pt. in their last home game of the year on a Crysby giveaway) even if they get better odds at a better draft pick, just to see the look on Crysby's face & hear his excuses for another playoff failure. Another year off their cup window (and likely one of their last few at best, based on this year) with that core would be sweet. Topped off with us getting Hughes/1st OA, while missing the PO's by 1pt.

Both win-win scenarios, cup or 1st OA.

Last edited:

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
The key so far has been balance. No line or pair is getting overwhelmed too badly like they did for long stretches of games last year. At the moment Green Is playing like a #1 D and Larkin is playing like a #1 C and the depth guys are making an impact offensively and not being put in over their head.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
How were there ZERO penalties called against the B's? ...and only 1 penalty against us? Total PP's=1 in the entire game. I don't recall ever seeing that in 40 years of watching hockey.

Also glad to see we have 5 players on pace for 50+ pts...71, 14, 72, 25, 51.

With 2 pts. in his next game Bert will join that list. Mantha would need 5.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Draft position has little to do with standings.

If you completely ignore the fact that standings is the by far biggest factor in determining draft position, you are right.

Always loved AA and he deserves an apology

Doesnt deserve an apology at all. He scored an awesome goal tonight because he was actually working hard and not trying to get by on skill. Everyone has said if he actually applied himself and put in effort he could be an awesome player. Now that hes actually working hard his game is much better. People shouldnt apologize for being right

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If you completely ignore the fact that standings is the by far biggest factor in determining draft position, you are right.

Doesnt deserve an apology at all. He scored an awesome goal tonight because he was actually working hard and not trying to get by on skill. Everyone has said if he actually applied himself and put in effort he could be an awesome player. Now that hes actually working hard his game is much better. People shouldnt apologize for being right

lets not pretend that quite a few people didn't also want to trade him for a fairly low value either

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Hot take, AA is gonna be better than Larkin. More raw skill and is quietly a hard worker off and on ice. People just mainly just focus on Larkin and AA’s in creeping the shadows. Watch him closely, 9-5-14in 17 games is impressive plus he got like 8 points in 3 preseason games. He’s gonna be the dats to Larkin’s Zetterberg

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Hot take, AA is gonna be better than Larkin. More raw skill and is quietly a hard worker off and on ice. People just mainly just focus on Larkin and AA’s in creeping the shadows. Watch him closely, 9-5-14in 17 games is impressive plus he got like 8 points in 3 preseason games. He’s gonna be the dats to Larkin’s Zetterberg

AA can't even hold Larkin's jock lol

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Disagree.

AA has never looked good on the PP. Frk does. Frk knows how to distribute the puck and is one hell of a right handed shot. AA looks lost on the PP for real. Like if he has to set up in the zone instead of busting in full speed and making things happen off the rush he just doesn't know what to do.
have you seen AA onetimers lately ? his shot is accurate and dangerous , just like Frk .

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
UhZMESr.gif

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
There is no "calling out" Wings fans for their opinion of Athanasiou. There's been multiple AA discussions over the years. Funny enough the AA threads have been some of the most impassioned. He just stirs something up in people. My opinion is he's a unique player, a lot of fans aren't used to his style of play, therefore the intense scrutiny and discussion.

I think what's changing now is Athanasiou is physically filling in. He's stronger and winning more races/battles all over the ice. If he can stay healthy AA should keep progressing season by season for years to come. Looks like good ol' Kenny unearthed another diamond in the rough preventing us from tanking haha.

Reactions: Lil Bert

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

No, he won’t.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Not really in the case of Bernier. Dude sucks.

Yeah there's no comparison in my mind. Relating to the Howard extension talk, imagine if Howie was traded and Bernier became the starter...this team would cave like a card house. He was acceptable in his last two wins but the other handful of games was a complete sieve. Maybe he can pick up some thing here in Detroit and improve, he's only 30 which isn't terribly old for a goalie.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Yeah there's no comparison in my mind. Relating to the Howard extension talk, imagine if Howie was traded and Bernier became the starter...this team would cave like a card house. He was acceptable in his last two wins but the other handful of games was a complete sieve. Maybe he can pick up some thing here in Detroit and improve, he's only 30 which isn't terribly old for a goalie.

I've been a huge Howard fan through the thick and thin of his career. If there's anything I've learned about Howie, it's that he rises to the occasion when there's competition for his job. Put a Mrazek or Bernier on his doorstep and he will do everything he can to prove he's the number 1. He's doing it again now. He's a goalie that definitely benefits from healthy competition in my mind.

Counter-argument: Mrazek and Bernier just plain suck so Howie didn't need to do much.

Either way he's playing great this year. Love Jimmy H.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I think what's changing now is Athanasiou is physically filling in. He's stronger and winning more races/battles all over the ice. If he can stay healthy AA should keep progressing season by season for years to come. Looks like good ol' Kenny unearthed another diamond in the rough preventing us from tanking haha.[/QUOTE]

For a fourth round pick his expectations were low and he had a lot to prove. Seeing as he now may be a second line center, it’s understandable that he may keep shattering expectations. More raw skill and possibly a higher upside than even the mighty Larkin

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
I think what's changing now is Athanasiou is physically filling in. He's stronger and winning more races/battles all over the ice. If he can stay healthy AA should keep progressing season by season for years to come. Looks like good ol' Kenny unearthed another diamond in the rough preventing us from tanking haha.

And I agree, but he's not Larkin level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad