OT: Boston Bruins BFit First Responder Challenge

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I posted about this in the OT thread, but I think it's a really cool event that the Bruins and Bruins Foundation put on. Yesterday at the Garden, First Responders and civilians from all over the state joined together to participate in a blood drive and obstacle course to raise money for the 100 Club of MA, a charity that supports the families of first responders that are killed in the line of duty.

There was a Police division, a Fire/EMS division, and new this year, a civilian division. The turnout was great, and seeing all of the guys and girls in uniform, full fire gear, and tactical equipment was inspiring. I participated in the Fire/EMS division and was amazed watching them do their thing in full gear. Massport Fire ran with a Team Hoyt wheelchair, carrying a little girl suffering from Duchene's disease. She wasn't expected to make it past 6 months; she's 9 years old.

There were three levels, so the event was accessible to all fitness abilities. The first level was running up and down all of the stairs in loge. The second level, you ran up the stairs to the Premium Club Level and did a lap around the suites and the Sports Museum, which was pretty cool. Level three, you ran up the back stairs to the balcony and completed a lap around the balcony concourse, back down the stairs to the loge level, and down the loge steps to the finish line at ice level where you rang a bell as you finished. The bibs were really cool, and medals/water/long sleeve shirts were given out to all participants. And Papa Jacobs treated us all to free parking!

So far, over $200k has been raised in this year's challenge. I'd encourage folks to consider participating next year -- it was a really fun morning for a great cause.

Charity Obstacle Course, Blood Drive Come Together At TD Garden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad