Boston Bruins Boston Bruins Announce 2020-21 Season Awards

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON -The Bruins announced today, May 6, the recipients of the 2020-21 season awards.

Brad Marchand has been named the recipient of the Eddie Shore Award, given to the player who shows exceptional hustle and determination, chosen by the "Gallery Gods". Marchand has also been named the winner of the Elizabeth Dufresne Trophy, awarded to the player exemplifying outstanding performance as determined by the Boston Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association. Charlie Coyle has been selected for the John P. Bucyk Award for providing exceptional off-ice charitable contributions, chosen by John Bucyk. Finally, Marchand (First Star), Patrice Bergeron (Second Star) and Craig Smith (Third Star) were named the Bruins Three Stars, as selected by 98.5 The Sports Hub, for being top performers at home games over the course of a season.

Eddie Shore Award:

Bruins forward Brad Marchand has been selected by the "Gallery Gods as the 2020-21 Eddie Shore Award winner for demonstrating exceptional hustle and determination throughout the season. The 5-foot-9, 181-pound left winger, who played in his 800th NHL game on May 3, leads the team in goals (27), assists (36) and points (63).

Elizabeth Dufresne Trophy:

Marchand has been selected as the Elizabeth Dufresne Trophy recipient for the 2020-21 season due to his outstanding performance on home ice this season. While at TD Garden, Marchand has totaled 15 goals, 18 assists, and 33 points through 23 games.

John P. Bucyk Award:

Charlie Coyle will receive the John P. Bucyk Award for his contributions in and around the Boston Community this season. As a Weymouth local, Coyle is involved in countless charitable endeavors around the Boston area and has participated in numerous military, education, and youth hockey initiatives since joining the team in 2019. Most notably, Coyle has built a special relationship with Quinn Waters, a 5-year-old battling brain cancer from his hometown of Weymouth.

Last season, Coyle brought gifts and visited Waters at his "Quinndow," where Quinn would interact with visitors when his immune system was too compromised to leave his home. Later that season, when possible, Quinn made the trip to TD Garden to drop the puck for Hockey Fights Cancer night alongside Coyle.
The award is named after Bruins legend John P. Bucyk, who has just finished his 63rdseason with the organization.

98.5 The Sports Hub Three Stars:

Bruins First Star Marchand continues to lead the team in goals, assists, and points, as well as shorthanded goals (4) and game-winning goals (5). Bruins Second Star Patrice Bergeron is second on the team in goals (21) and points (46), has a team-leading rating of plus-25, and leads the B's in power play goals with seven. Third Star Craig Smith has recorded 13 goals and 19 assists for 32 points since joining the Bruins for the 2020-21 season, and the forward scored the second hat trick of his career on May 1 against the Buffalo Sabres.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
All worthy winners. All that's left is the 7th Player then. I could see people arguing for Craig Smith but I hope it goes to Thicc Nick, he really deserves it considering the effort he put in this year to overcome the reputation he came to town with.

Reactions: Bruhin and sarge88

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Elizabeth Dufresne from all accounts was a young woman who loved the Bruins as much as she loved to party.

She came down with an undisclosed illness and a friend donated the trophy in her name.

Years later a Bruins fan in Bangor, Maine would listen to the games on the radio and her name stuck in his head. He used the last name in one of his stories.

470873.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
All worthy winners. All that's left is the 7th Player then. I could see people arguing for Craig Smith but I hope it goes to Thicc Nick, he really deserves it considering the effort he put in this year to overcome the reputation he came to town with.
We have many worthy guys. I would be ok with Smith, Ritchie or Miller getting it. Sadly you never know what the pink hats will do.

See: Tyler Seguin over Chris Kelly in 2011-2012 or Dougie Hamilton over Dan Paille in 2012-2013

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Elizabeth Dufresne from all accounts was a young woman who loved the Bruins as much as she loved to party.

She came down with an undisclosed illness and a friend donated the trophy in her name.

Years later a Bruins fan in Bangor, Maine would listen to the games on the radio and her name stuck in his head. He used the last name in one of his stories.

470873.png
Still the best ending

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We have many worthy guys. I would be ok with Smith, Ritchie or Miller getting it. Sadly you never know what the pink hats will do.

See: Tyler Seguin over Chris Kelly in 2011-2012 or Dougie Hamilton over Dan Paille in 2012-2013

Seguin won because of the teenage girl vote. No question about that.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Seventh player in my opinion is Kevan Miller. I didn’t think he would ever play meaningful hockey again.

I see a lot of people advocating for Nick Ritchie, but IMO this season isn’t miles off his career output up to this point.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Seguin won because of the teenage girl vote. No question about that.
Dougie did as well.

In the last few years I've noticed the broadcast and even the writers have talked about the award more. They seem to highlight certain players in an attempt to curb people from going with Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta ect.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Seventh player in my opinion is Kevan Miller. I didn’t think he would ever play meaningful hockey again.

I see a lot of people advocating for Nick Ritchie, but IMO this season isn’t miles off his career output up to this point.

I am 100% with you. I think Miller should win it. No one thought he'd be able to handle this workload after Z left and then you had injuries galore that forced him to play a lot more than he should have.

The argument for Ritchie is that he came in last year and was simply not in game shape and struggled. He came back this year a completely different player and from day 1 has been pretty decent.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Miller is going to be our Masterton nominee and should win the award this year. He's been great and a great story, but he's only played 26 games. I don't know if that suffices for 7th player for me.

Ritchie has matched a career high in goals and only a few points off his career high in only a 56 game season. Considering at the start of the year he was written off as a lazy bum who was projected to be a healthy scratch or maybe a 4th liner and he worked his way up to the PP unit, and a solid contributor on the 3rd line, I just think he's surpassed all expectations and then some. That's my main argument for him. In training camp in January did you think that we'd get 15 goals out of him this year? I'm not sure anyone did.

Plus the eye test. His reputation was being lazy and out of shape, and this year we've seena guy busting his ass night in and ngiht out.

Reactions: Alicat

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I hope Ritchie wins the 7th player award. He was getting absolutely slaughtered from all corners before this season, fans, media, you name it. Expectations were below ground for him at the start of the year and he showed up to camp in shape and has put together the best year of his career. To me he's clearly the guy who has most exceeded expectations.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

470873.png

There’s a scene in the sitcom “The Office”...where the original owner of the company refers to a

“Jerry Trupiano”

Coincidence, or is there a story behind then using the name of one of the Red Sox radio announcers who covered the 2004 WS champion?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There’s a scene in the sitcom “The Office”...where the original owner of the company refers to a

“Jerry Trupiano”

Coincidence, or is there a story behind then using the name of one of the Red Sox radio announcers who covered the 2004 WS champion?

A lot of the people behind the Office are from the Boston area, including Steve Carrell and John Krasinski. I'd assume that reference was probably written by BJ Novak.

Reactions: sarge88 and Alicat

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Personally I think Smitty should win the 7th player award. There isn’t a game yet where he hasn’t worked his butt off. Although I would still be happy with Miller or Ritchie getting the award. All candidates have good reasons to win.

Reactions: Alicat and Agent86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->