Confirmed with Link: Boston Bruins Acquire Ondrej Kase (RW) from ANA -- Backes On The Move!

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It is a porridge... german cheese is Käse, while the name of Ondrej is "Kaše" - which is ... Porridge. And btw he is Czech, so why you mix German into the debate?;)
I mixed German in because I knew the word. So I was curious what the word was in Czech, that's all. Those online translators obviously need some work!

Holkoun

Feb 14, 2010
Prague
I mixed German in because I knew the word. So I was curious what the word was in Czech, that's all. Those online translators obviously need some work!
If you ask the translator with the properly spelled word "kaše", you will get the correct answer. This was not the translator's fail... just saying;)

Holkoun

Feb 14, 2010
Prague
Yeah in czech but in german its still cheese
No, it is not... the difference is at the level accept/except or even more different. Word cheese in german is "käse" name of Ondrej is "Kaše" (kashe).. totally diferrent pronounciatiin, and totally czech word.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
was just thinking about this - did boston lottery protect the 1st rounder? i don't think they
did. obviously a real longshot, but if there are no playoffs, every team would have at least
a minimal chance at the lottery picks.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
was just thinking about this - did boston lottery protect the 1st rounder? i don't think they
did. obviously a real longshot, but if there are no playoffs, every team would have at least
a minimal chance at the lottery picks.
Would be the biggest piss-off of all time if what you’re suggesting actually happened. Doubtful the Bruins included that failsafe.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Is it fair game to revisit this deal?

Nets out to what? Cost them a late first round pick to save a couple of million under the cap?

(Assuming you get a net zero out of Kase. Hope that’s not the case, but as of today.)

I guess if they use the cap space at the deadline to improve the club then it was maybe worth it?

What do people think?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Nets out to what? Cost them a late first round pick to save a couple of million under the cap?

(Assuming you get a net zero out of Kase. Hope that’s not the case, but as of today.)

I guess if they use the cap space at the deadline to improve the club then it was maybe worth it?

What do people think?

Definitely looking like a chance Kase never amounts to anything with the Bruins. Sadly, a good chance he’s not long for the NHL IMO. Health is a constant problem for the guy and he can never get any momentum in his game to start really making strides at this level. We’ve seen flashes of what he’s capable of skill-wise and it really is a shame he can’t keep his health for any sort of reasonable stretch.

I have a hard time holding Sweeney’s feet to the fire for the deal. Backes was dead cap weight and dead roster space on a team trying to compete with the best teams. I still hate the Backes signing in the first place, but the front office did what they had to do in the moment to try to create something productive out of it, even if it doesn’t look like it’s ultimately going to pay off.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

What do people think?

The first relieved a lot more than "a couple million". $9M over 2 years. That is significant. There was actually also cap relief in the current year of the trade as they traded him in February.

The way I see it is they got that relief for a late first and took a flyer on Kase; a player with the floor of a good 3rd liner with 2nd liner upside. The risk was his concussion history. Without that, Anaheim doesn't trade him. Bruins knew this was a risk, but the guy was basically free. Good decision making in my view.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The first relieved a lot more than "a couple million". $9M over 2 years. That is significant.

The way I see it is they got that relief for a late first and took a flyer on Kase; a player with the floor of a good 3rd liner with 2nd liner upside. The risk was his concussion history. Without that, Anaheim doesn't trade him. Bruins knew this was a risk, but the guy was basically free. Good decision making in my view.

Kalus is Kalus still available?

Didn't he have a 3 goal night his first game? Something like that.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Kalus is Kalus still available?

Didn't he have a 3 goal night his first game? Something like that.

Haha. I picked the name 15 years ago and just stuck with it. Watching the guy in Providence at that time, I really thought he was going to be something.

Reactions: Number6

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
As it stands alone at the time I thought it was a good deal. A first, a b prospect, and albatross contract for a young right wing with potential.

The problem though is the cap relief gained hasn’t been used in a way to really improve the team. Kase, who I thought was outstanding in the Hurricanes series last season, has never found footing due to constant injuries.

It still depends on if the Bruins can add something this season in my opinion, but it basically amounts to a nothing trade because Sweeney never wants to get the big fish, he’s busy shopping for minnows.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
As it stands alone at the time I thought it was a good deal. A first, a b prospect, and albatross contract for a young right wing with potential.

The problem though is the cap relief gained hasn’t been used in a way to really improve the team. Kase, who I thought was outstanding in the Hurricanes series last season, has never found footing due to constant injuries.

It still depends on if the Bruins can add something this season in my opinion, but it basically amounts to a nothing trade because Sweeney never wants to get the big fish, he’s busy shopping for minnows.
He should resign. He is living off of previous administrations great players while letting them fester and rot. Not one impact player in six years. What has become of this organization. It is rotting in the sun. Truly a shame and a waste of such great players that should have been built upon...especially after signing team contracts........If i am Krejci, or Bergy or Marhand...I see Sweeney in the elevator....I dont even look at him. I get off and take the next one.....a real disgrace.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I hate the giving up a first to get out from under Backes' contract, while still keeping $1.5m of dead cap hit next year.

Kase scored 20 goals two years ago. He's 24 and is signed through next season ($2.6m AAV) and then an RFA. But he's also very injury-prone. 7-16-23, -7 in 49 games this season, played just 30 games last year. Billy Jaffe really likes him, says he's very fast and skilled.

LOL

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He should resign. He is living off of previous administrations great players while letting them fester and rot. Not one impact player in six years. What has become of this organization. It is rotting in the sun. Truly a shame and a waste of such great players that should have been built upon...especially after signing team contracts........If i am Krejci, or Bergy or Marhand...I see Sweeney in the elevator....I dont even look at him. I get off and take the next one.....a real disgrace.
You a BAMF!

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I don't see the joke
The fits well with Krejci. He had not fit well or been healthy enough to fit well. But it seems everyone knew this was a gamble given Kase injury history which means it even more perplexing that they gave up what they did and that media continues to tote Sweeneys water around

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The fits well with Krejci. He had not fit well or been healthy enough to fit well. But it seems everyone knew this was a gamble given Kase injury history which means it even more perplexing that they gave up what they did and that media continues to tote Sweeneys water around
Think you stopped reading that tweet before the end

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

What do people think?
It's tough to assess. It's been bad luck for sure. We needed scoring help at the deadline, and we needed cap space. This trade had potential to accomplish both, with Kase being a high risk/high reward X-factor. To date, Kase has played 8 regular season games + 11 playoff games for the B's. So he's basically had no chance to develop any kind of chemistry with anyone or show what his true potential as a player was, and at this rate he likely never know. Best case scenerio is Kase gets healthy, and skates with the team until injuries force him back into the lineup. He could be a nice wild card should we see more injuries down the road, but at this point I would not factor him into any serious lineup plans.

Backes gone was a positive for the team, and for Backes. He's got to play more NHL games for Anaheim than he would have for Boston, and Boston got more cap space and a roster spot for a younger player.

The 1st? I don't miss it. Sweeney doesn't exactly thrill me with his drafting (I don't hate his drafting either, let the record indicate!), so to me, draft picks are completely expendable if it means bringing in established NHL players.

At the end of the day, the team still needs a scoring RW. We thought it could be Nash, then Johansson (although he had a good run at 3LW), then Kase, now Smith. Idk if this is poor player evaluation or bad luck or a combo of both. Can only hope the next guy finally works out.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
It's tough to assess. It's been bad luck for sure. We needed scoring help at the deadline, and we needed cap space. This trade had potential to accomplish both, with Kase being a high risk/high reward X-factor. To date, Kase has played 8 regular season games + 11 playoff games for the B's. So he's basically had no chance to develop any kind of chemistry with anyone or show what his true potential as a player was, and at this rate he likely never know. Best case scenerio is Kase gets healthy, and skates with the team until injuries force him back into the lineup. He could be a nice wild card should we see more injuries down the road, but at this point I would not factor him into any serious lineup plans.

Backes gone was a positive for the team, and for Backes. He's got to play more NHL games for Anaheim than he would have for Boston, and Boston got more cap space and a roster spot for a younger player.

The 1st? I don't miss it. Sweeney doesn't exactly thrill me with his drafting (I don't hate his drafting either, let the record indicate!), so to me, draft picks are completely expendable if it means bringing in established NHL players.

At the end of the day, the team still needs a scoring RW. We thought it could be Nash, then Johansson (although he had a good run at 3LW), then Kase, now Smith. Idk if this is poor player evaluation or bad luck or a combo of both. Can only hope the next guy finally works out.
If Sweeney is as cavalier about 1st round picks as you are. He's going to run the franchise into the ground. You cant continue to trade 1st for "established" (you are using that term extremely loosely given the players hes brought in) and expect to have any long-term success. You need high round top end talent on entry level deals to build any sort of contender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad