Beginners: Boston area adult lessons

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Trying to find good options for skating lessons in the Boston area (preferably north of the city). Cost is a factor, and I really don't want 12-year olds skating circles around me.

I started skating this spring when I discovered a $3 empty public skate a few blocks from my office. Now I'm in a weekly D league, skate 1-2 times a week, and hit up an instructional night every other Tuesday or so. Altogether it's about 2-5 hours of hockey/skating a week.

I have no clue what I'm doing.

Obviously, at <6 months on the ice a lot of the answer to my problem is "skate skate skate". But I'd like to have enough knowledge and feedback to practice doing things the right way.

Anyone getting good instruction in Mass?

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
Nowhere near Mass., but buy the Laura Stamm book, Power Skating and take your time building on the fundamentals.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks everyone. I should mention that I'm looking for pure skating lessons, not instructional hockey. I play in a league that mixes drills, scrimmages, and real games. I also hit up the FMC instructional/pickup combo every other week or so. Both are a ton of fun.

I'd like to get down to basics though. When I say I started skating 6 months ago, I don't mean skating again, or skating more. I mean I started skating period. Picking it up in my early 30s, there are definitely things I do completely wrong.

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
Hi fellow Bostonian!

I'd strongly recommend: http://www.mahockeyleague.com/

The clinics are amazing - there are 4 or 5 coaches on the ice. Goalies have our own coach (holy crap!) and skaters are broken into two groups (beginner and intermediate) each with their own coach. Skating is built into almost every drill.

I have my noob journey in the forum, I started playing less than two years ago - also like you I took my first learn to skate class.

I hated the clinics run by FMC, they were poorly run with just one coach. Stinkysocks was okay, but they stopped offering goalie clinics in Somerville.

Honestly shoot Matt an email at [email protected] - he might let you try out a clinic for free.

I play Monday nights (clinic and 4x4 game afterwards - goalie for the blue team), Tuesdays with Stinkysocks (#40), and also have another clinic on Thursdays with mahockeyleague. If I could swing the clinic and playing on Saturdays I would :)

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
Don't know where your office is, but the public skating at NU's Matthews Arena is free and usually every day at noon. When I was in school there, I had the ice to myself half the time.

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
Don't know where your office is, but the public skating at NU's Matthews Arena is free and usually every day at noon. When I was in school there, I had the ice to myself half the time.

They still have the public skate, but its one or two days a week :/ I work pretty close by. The Kendall outdoor rink is the best open ice that I've found for peeps who work 9-5, although it does get pretty crowded.

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
When I lived in Boston in 2001/2002, all the city rinks had free public skating for an hour or two in the late morning. Being unemployed I went regularly and there was never more than a few people there.

I got to know the maintenance guy and if the ice was unscheduled after the public skate ended he let me bring in a stick and puck. Often I'd get 2 hours in a day, 1 skating, 1 shooting. I loved it.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
(((BUMP)))
I'm 3 months beyond lacing up skates for my first time at the age of 38. I took a few local skate classes and then a handful of LTP sessions via FMC in Plymouth. 2 weeks ago I hopped into a pick up league and have played twice.

I live in Sandwich MA. I really want to hire someone local (60 miles) to give me private instruction for skating, passing, stick handling and shooting!!! I'm not looking for camps or clinics just consistent 1 on 1 or semi private hockey lessons. Anyone have suggestions???

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad