Post-Game Talk: Boscosharks at the Holtbys 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not ashamed to say - I like plus minus when it's viewed on a team by team basis, and in particular when it's a team you follow closely and know the roles of the players. And looking at the team, I'm not surprised that Jensen is -9 and Orlov is -4. Jensen because of some poor defensive lapses and Orlov because he takes risks with the puck.

If you throw every player in the NHL into a plus minus table you end up with a bell curve and it becomes meaningless outside of the highest and lowest.

Jensen is -1 in the last 19 games. I think that speaks to the improvement in his game. Same 19 games Orlov is +5.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Conclusions:
1) Damn that crew without Pierre is hard to listen to. Boucher is atrocious and f*** Edzo.
2) Holy crap Oshie! That Clifton guy still searching for his pants, have some mercy, dude.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Time for some soul searching. I looked at the standings and its bad. They need to start losing some games if they don't want to get that President's Trophy hung around their necks.
Give Sammy a couple more games in the next ten and give the Islanders a chance to get back in the game

Where is Justin Peters when you need him?

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
In what areas? Turning over pucks? Losing board battles? Losing foot races? Missing empty nets? Missing defensive assignments? Icing pucks? Getting overpowered pysically? Those are Hagelin's prime qualities. That guy is 100% done.

That amazing stretch pass he received from Eller tonight...if you saw what he did with it you can't even be mad anymore...you can't help but feel sorry for the guy. That was sad to watch. Every beer league player could have moved that puck to Panik in a way that would have allowed him to score. Hagelin probably tried to set up Panik but it certainly didn't look like he did. Puck ended up in deserted nowhereland. Sad story.

:laugh:

Reactions: Calicaps

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Yeah, I don't think Hagelin is really bringing much to the table here. He is great on the PK, and that is about it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, I don't think Hagelin is really bringing much to the table here. He is great on the PK, and that is about it.

Boston was 0-5 on the pp last night. His even strength defense has been top notch too. Its got to be done. Eller has been great and Panik looks like his is ready for some pucks to go in. I wouldn't mess with that group

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
+/- is probably the most worthless evaluation tool in the world of hockey, everything I have used is based from on ice results.

Wait what? When did +/- no longer become an "on ice" measurement?

If results were shots, then hockey scores would be 34-28. But results are goals, the only stat they use to determine wins and losses, and you are criminally neglecting that.

A handful of GM's have tried to build using nothing but advanced stats, and their teams sucked.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Wait what? When did +/- no longer become an "on ice" measurement?

If results were shots, then hockey scores would be 34-28. But results are goals, the only stat they use to determine wins and losses, and you are criminally neglecting that.

A handful of GM's have tried to build using nothing but advanced stats, and their teams sucked.
+/- is just the same as almost every other hockey stat, advanced or not. They can all end up being very misleading without context.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Another Presidents Trophy would kick ass. There’s no curse if you look at it statistically: first overall is the most likely position to win the Cup.

It depends. If it's a President Trophy winning season where you are kicking so much ass the whole season that you go into the playoffs without much adversity like Tampa last year and previous Washington teams, no thank you.

I love this Caps team, but they have a tendency to coast sometimes, and they aren't above a good ass kicking here and there. Preferably before the playoffs.

Reactions: zappa4ever

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
It depends. If it's a President Trophy winning season where you are kicking so much ass the whole season that you go into the playoffs without much adversity like Tampa last year and previous Washington teams, no thank you.

I love this Caps team, but they have a tendency to coast sometimes, and they aren't above a good ass kicking here and there. Preferably before the playoffs.
Preferably a month or so before and then little by little gear up for the playoffs. Getting your ass kicked by everyone right on the playoff doorstep sounds even worse than coasting.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
+/- is just the same as almost every other hockey stat, advanced or not. They can all end up being very misleading without context.

I get that, which is why I almost never post any stats to support a position. But the poster I was responding to said, paraphrasing: "+/- is a garbage stat, I used stats that are based on things "on ice", which is an absurd contrast. He posts heat maps about shots for/against while X player is on the ice, and dismisses goals for/against when same player is on the ice.

All those stats are meaningless without all the proper context, and none of them generally discuss competition level. Go show me the stats of Jensen's heat map vs the opponents top line, compared to Carlson's vs top lines. Then show Jensen vs 3rd/4th lines and Carlson vs 3rd/4th lines.

Specifically Kuzy, his stats suck, but he's a PPG player who can score in ways most other Caps can never imagine. So what if he gives up a lot of shots and possession against, then goes and buries his chances at a significantly higher rate than his 3rd line possession guys can. Kuzy can take over a game, and took over a lot of playoff games on the way to the Cup. Guys with much better heat maps are more easily replaceable, guys like Kuzy are rare.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
So my disdain for ESPN grows. Walked by a tv and ESPN was about to do their top 10 plays. I decided to watch and see where TJ ended up. Not only does TJ get second behind a random NBA one handed dunk, but the chick says Halak takes it and scores....... seriously you can’t even correctly say who the shooter and goalie are???

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So my disdain for ESPN grows. Walked by a tv and ESPN was about to do their top 10 plays. I decided to watch and see where TJ ended up. Not only does TJ get second behind a random NBA one handed dunk, but the chick says Halak takes it and scores....... seriously you can’t even correctly say who the shooter and goalie are???
The Worldwide Leader is neither

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Somewhat fake sports news! She gets the names wrong, which drives more attention and talk. It's like more ppl watch news when something bad happens and less so when something good happens.

Susannah

Dec 3, 2019
I always thought that ESPN stands for Empire State Propaganda Network.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->