Post-Game Talk: Boscosharks at the Holtbys 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
He is an empty calorie scorer who cant play defense, control possession or drive play at a high level. I dont think the Caps have any true bad players but Kuzy is absolutely not close to being one of the best.

Yes his ecpf% (empty calorie points for) is absurdly high. Jesus Christ when did this stathead epidemic take off? The only thing those numbers show is that a lot of people don't understand that correlation does not imply causation

Reactions: Calicaps

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I wonder whether this would be a registered hit.

In Pittsburgh it would be. Apparently they count it as a hit when you slam the bench door. :laugh:

From lasts nights game in the 'Burgh:

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 10.17.44 PM.png

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He is an empty calorie scorer who cant play defense, control possession or drive play at a high level. I dont think the Caps have any true bad players but Kuzy is absolutely not close to being one of the best.

Except, you know, when he's nearly winning the Conn Smythe on his way to leading the Caps to a Stanley Cup. Apart from that he sucks at hockey.

Rolleyes

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
Right... Because we actually have eyeballs.

He looks bad even to the eye test, do you watch him when he doesnt have the puck? The only player on the team more disengaged in the defensive zone is Ovechkin. Kuzy is lazy, yeah might have like 2 or 3 good rushes and some fancy passes in a game but that doesnt mean his overall contribution to the game is a net positive.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
He looks bad even to the eye test, do you watch him when he doesnt have the puck? The only player on the team more disengaged in the defensive zone is Ovechkin. Kuzy is lazy, yeah might have like 2 or 3 good rushes and some fancy passes in a game but that doesnt mean his overall contribution to the game is a net positive.

Well his role in the defensive zone is to be a lightning rod for transition to offense. He doesn't get scored on much and his "2 or 3 good rushes" (more like 7 or 8) regularly translate to goals so... he's literally very much a net positive

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
Well his role in the defensive zone is to be a lightning rod for transition to offense. He doesn't get scored on much and his "2 or 3 good rushes" (more like 7 or 8) regularly translate to goals so... he's literally very much a net positive

Just because he is supposed to be good doesnt excuse him being terrible defensively. There are tons of high end centers who can drive play well offensively while at least break even defensively. He has the worst net xG rates out of all the main Caps fowards and ranks 11th worst in the entire NHL in net xG rates. Now I don't think he is that bad because hes always been able to bend PDO in his favor but hes not worth his cap hit and hes not one of the better caps forwards.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Just because he is supposed to be good doesnt excuse him being terrible defensively. There are tons of high end centers who can drive play well offensively while at least break even defensively. He has the worst net xG rates out of all the main Caps fowards and ranks 11th worst in the entire NHL in net xG rates. Now I don't think he is that bad because hes always been able to bend PDO in his favor but hes not worth his cap hit and hes not one of the better caps forwards.

Those numbers don't make him terrible defensively. Correlation does not imply causation. Just because someone randomly decided that shots for/against with some additional contextual variables thrown in and put through a stat 101 blender can be used as an ironclad statistical model for what constitutes good and bad hockey does not make it so. "Expected" stats are by and large garbage and can lead you to believe things like Nick Jensen being better "defensively" than John Carlson.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I've never put anyone on ignore but this line just might make me consider it.

Last edited:

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Having two centers that can put up PPG is almost a must in the NHL and not many teams have it. We do and so do the Pens and together we have won 3 of the last 4 cups. Kuzy could be better in his end but he puts up points and opens up lanes for players like Vrana and Oshie to score too.

Reactions: Heath

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
Those numbers don't make him terrible defensively. Correlation does not imply causation. Just because someone randomly decided that shots for/against with some additional contextual variables thrown in and put through a stat 101 blender can be used as an ironclad statistical model for what constitutes good and bad hockey does not make it so. "Expected" stats are by and large garbage and can lead you to believe things like Nick Jensen being better "defensively" than John Carlson.[/QUOTE]

So his one ice analytics and eye test show both Carlson and Kuznetsov are poor defensively but theyre not because you say so? Look these heat maps of their defense, heat maps arent analytics they just show shots allowed when a player is on the ice, these literally prove that Carlson and Kuznetsov are not good defensively and Jensen is good defensively. I think that John Carlson is a great player and is better than Nick Jensen but Jensen is better at defense.

carlson defense.PNG
jensen defense.PNG
kuzy defense.PNG

Reactions: koalabear9301
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad