Confirmed Trade: [BOS/STL] Brady Lyle traded to St. Louis for future considerations

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

The St. Louis Blues announced today that the team has acquired defenseman Brady Lyle from the Boston Bruins in exchange for future considerations. Lyle will report to the Blues' AHL affiliate, the Springfield Thunderbirds.

In 73 career AHL games with Providence, Lyle has posted nine goals and 14 assists for 23 points. The 22-year-old, right-handed defenseman played parts of five seasons in the OHL in junior hockey with the North Bay Battalion and Owen Sound Attack. He tallied 32 points or better in each of his three years with Owen Sound from 2017 to 2020, including a season of 65 points (22g, 43a) in 62 games in 2019-20. Lyle signed a two-year, entry-level contract with Boston on April 19, 2021.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Interesting...

When he signed with the Bruins many thought he had a real chance to make it.

Surprised they couldn't or wouldn't at least get a late round pick.

Future considerations usually ends up as nothing, right?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Lyle had a really strong rookie season in the AHL last year. Then looked fantastic in camp and made it to the second-last round of cuts (and looked good in 2 pre-season games).

Then had a horrible season this year and was unloaded for future considerations. It's a bizarre turn.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bruins must have an NCAA free agent lined up and needed to drop a contract. That's the only reason you'd really see them give away a guy for nothing.

Reactions: Altimus

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Someone else pointed out Bruins possibly making roster spots for college FAs.

Also Sweeney the master of getting absolutely nothing back for players coming in. Nothing world breaking, but all those mid-late picks are darts. Last time we shipped a guy out for draft picks alone was Frank Vatrano (if I can remember correctly). Everyone else Sweeney has let walk.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Also Sweeney the master of getting absolutely nothing back for players coming in. Nothing world breaking, but all those mid-late picks are darts. Last time we shipped a guy out for draft picks alone was Frank Vatrano (if I can remember correctly). Everyone else Sweeney has let walk.

Vladar was the last one. He was traded for CGY's 3rd this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

They only have like 44 contracts, so I doubt that's the case.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Wait what does future considerations actually mean? Is it not a way of vaguely describing a draft pick?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wait what does future considerations actually mean? Is it not a way of vaguely describing a draft pick?

no it's a formal way to say the player was traded for nothing and have it be 'legal' because you technically can't make a trade without something going back the other way. it's really a dumb concept but that's what it is.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
They only have like 44 contracts, so I doubt that's the case.
It’s a depth issue. With the 2 most recent college fa signings they had 11 dmen in the ahl and 10 in the nhl, and they might sign Lohrei in coming weeks. Considering it’s a future considerations trade, i think its a favor to Lyle so he can get a chance at cracking the nhl with another organization.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It’s a depth issue. With the 2 most recent college fa signings they had 11 dmen in the ahl and 10 in the nhl, and they might sign Lohrei in coming weeks. Considering it’s a future considerations trade, i think its a favor to Lyle so he can get a chance at cracking the nhl with another organization.

Now I'm wondering if anyone who was traded for Future Considerations wound up doing anything at all of note in the show.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Recently, the Leafs traded Alex Biega to the Predators for future considerations and then later the Predators lent Phillipe Myers to the Marlies. You could speculate this was future considerations

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

DeBrusk?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Bruins must have an NCAA free agent lined up and needed to drop a contract. That's the only reason you'd really see them give away a guy for nothing.
But before dumping him, they had 5 contract spots available.

Now they have six.

So unless they sign 6 players...

Edit: The point was already made.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Now I'm wondering if anyone who was traded for Future Considerations wound up doing anything at all of note in the show.

Depending on what you mean by this, Larry Murphy was traded for future considerations. He’s in the HHOF.

But if you mean someone was “balancing out” the future part (as in they were the future consideration from a prior deal), Chris Simon was the future part of the Lindros to Philly deal.

And the oddest one was Peter White was traded from Chicago to Philly for futures, then “traded” back to Chicago for the AHL playoffs (aka lent to their farm team). So he was traded for himself

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Players who struggle in the AHL generally have a hard time in the NHL. Good depth for St. Louis and their affiliate. Nothing of value really lost for the Bruins

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
it is rarely a draft pick. sometimes is almost nothing, a small IOU, or just the benefit of the freed up roster/Cap space for 'sending' team

in NHL, how this sometimes play out, at this time of year, is a corresponding AHL<>AHL move
yesterday was AHL trade deadline impacting AHL late-season and playoff rosters (aside from young NHL prospect assets)

I don't see such a move today, at the AHL transactions,
but for example, in this case, StL AHL team could have sent a player on AHL deal to Bruins AHL team as the 'FC'
helping both teams balance their rosters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad