Proposal: BOS - Panarin / CBJ - 1st+ 2nd, Anders Björk & Urho Vaakanainen

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Did you read the post I was replying to?
I did. Karlsson's circumstances are not relevant to ours, because the Sens legitimately were in a "trade him or you're ****ed" situation. We are not. We're not in a happy situation, but it's not the same kind of doomsday scenario.

All the Karlsson return does is provide more evidence for the theory that our best course of action is to keep Panarin.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
**Assuming Panarin would be open to signing LT in Boston: Sub Donato/DeBrusk for Bjork and call it a day. This trade would make Boston immediate Cup favorites in my opinion. The core should still be around for atleast 4 more years and even then you have a bunch of good young up and coming players to fill the ranks for the vets leaving.

Also no way Columbus gets a better offer than a top line winger, top 4D, a 1st and a 2nd.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
its always nice coming back to these posts a year from now. How will it feel if he walks for nothing? a 1st, a 2nd, one grade B prospect, and one grade A (urho) prospect is nothing to baulk at. Sure, if i was a fan of the blue jackets i would want the other teams best winger/player. Thats not happening. Columbus is trading from a position of weakness.
This is yet another variant on the whole "you have to trade him because he's a UFA" thing, completely discounting the fact that having one year of a stupendous elite badass that's one of the best wingers in the game is a pretty damn nice thing to have in and of itself.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
**Assuming Panarin would be open to signing LT in Boston: Sub Donato/DeBrusk for Bjork and call it a day. This trade would make Boston immediate Cup favorites in my opinion. The core should still be around for atleast 4 more years and even then you have a bunch of good young up and coming players to fill the ranks for the vets leaving.

Also no way Columbus gets a better offer than a top line winger, top 4D, a 1st and a 2nd.
The target isn't so much "better" as "different". Taking out Vaakanainen has next-to-nil impact on the value of this trade for the Jackets, and a hell of a lot of impact on the value of this trade for the Bruins.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The target isn't so much "better" as "different". Taking out Vaakanainen has next-to-nil impact on the value of this trade for the Jackets, and a hell of a lot of impact on the value of this trade for the Bruins.

I've actually been a big fan of the way Columbus has built their team over the years but the reality of the situation is you might lose both Panarin and Bob this year. Best case (depending how you look at it) is you sign both to contracts totalling close to ~$18-20m per year which will severely impact your cap control. The addition of Vaaka, although he doesn't fit an immediate need, is someone who could help your franchise build itself in a different template. Look at Nashville stockpiling defencemen and it paying off. Or, you could trade one of them when you are in a position of strength.

I understand your POV but to think Columbus is going to remain a legit contending team after this season is asking a lot of your GM when the leverage is not in your favour.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've actually been a big fan of the way Columbus has built their team over the years but the reality of the situation is you might lose both Panarin and Bob this year. Best case (depending how you look at it) is you sign both to contracts totalling close to ~$18-20m per year which will severely impact your cap control. The addition of Vaaka, although he doesn't fit an immediate need, is someone who could help your franchise build itself in a different template. Look at Nashville stockpiling defencemen and it paying off. Or, you could trade one of them when you are in a position of strength.

The problem with this theory is that we've already got a ton of young up-and-coming LDs - enough so that we're having trouble finding minutes to give out. Cole wasn't valuable to us because we were shallow at LD; what we were after was his experience at the position.

And if we try to flip the guy quickly, we're going to get ripped off... because anybody paying attention knows that that's the situation here, and knows that we only care about Vaakanainen insofar as he'd be a trade chip, and so we wouldn't get anything resembling a fair offer.

Reactions: CBJFan827

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

I understand your POV but to think Columbus is going to remain a legit contending team after this season is asking a lot of your GM when the leverage is not in your favour.
I want to start 1st by commenting on the last part. If Panarin leaves we are back to the team the season before which was our best team statistically in team history. Panarin brings the playmaking we desperately needed BUT without him our team doesnt fall apart. Losing Bob hurts 10x more if that happens BUT our goalie depth is arguably our organizations biggest strength. We have Elvis who is an amazing goalie over in Europe right now and has shown up big in his league and in international tournaments, Korpisalo right now as our backup has always looked good, the liiga champ goalie from last year and Tarasov who was projected as a 1st rounder until he needed knee surgery and dropped but all scouts say hes a stud and reminds them of Bob and is actually from the same.russian city. So losing 1 or both hurts no one os denying BUT we have all of the tools in place to be able to withstand that PLUS the 18-20mil saved on them to fill out the roster. So realistically we could even maybe improve on offense with that money to spread it out over 3 guys.

That D prospect 0 disrespect towards him but no he cant reshape our D or be this dofferent type of player that adds a layer to the team. This is our current setup:

Werenski-Jones (NHL.com had them rated as the #1 pair in the league going into this year. Z was a calder nominee and even though he played with a torn labrum around 40 games still was a top 10 Dman last year. Jones was 4th in Norris voting and arguably should have been higher and he is only getting better.)
Murray-Nuti (Murray when healthy is a shutdown stud and Nuti is really coming into his own especially in the 2nd half and the playoffs. Ever since Nuti went to RD he has become arguably our #3D.)
Savard-Kukan (Kukan was an AHL allstar and has been NHL ready for years and shown that in all of his callups. Savard is a pro and as consistent as you could ask for. Being a RD makes him valuable as well.)
Gavrikov- has killed it in ever international tournament he has ever played and was considered the 2nd best in the Olympics behind Voynov. Won best D in the WJC even though he recorded 0 points because insane defense. Best D in the world not in the NHL I have argued that for years. Finally able to come over after next year.
Peake and Carlson both are NHL ready but Peake wants his college degree but likely signs right after the season is over and Carlson will be the #1 callup for injuries. Just bad luck in a numbers game.

As of right now I legit take all of those defenders over Vaaka although maybe 1 or 2 vs him is close. And that is nothing against him but our D is just f***ing loaded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->