Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Kevan Miller re-signs with the Bruins (1 year, $1M + $1M in Performance Bonuses)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I mean, are we really gonna question how the B’s work their salary? Based on recent history.. they know what they’re doing. So they got an extra mil to spend, or they know this’ll buy ‘em +1 mil in player credit. Seriously, it could also be a hockey decision.. but if Miller is popular in the locker room and the guys feel he deserves another run.. 1 mil guaranteed is not a lot in the NHL.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Seeing all the signings the last week or so this was such a waste of money.

It is clear Sweeney knew about the Pastrnak and Marchand injuries when he resigned Miller. Considering neither of those players will be ready to start the season (and it remains to be seen whether Miller, himself, will be ready) the total combination of IR games is going to buy Sweeney a significant amount of cap flexibility later on. Miller's starting cap hit is only $1.25m, and the rest is bonus driven. If the Bruins get 2017-18 Kevin Miller, it will be worth every penny. If not, then who knows. But clearly Sweeney and Miller have been in touch throughout his recovery.

I see the first part of the season, as a final audition for kids like Bjork, Zboril and Senyshyn followed by some roster movement soon after Pastrnak and Marchand have returned. If the kids exceed expectations, they could steal jobs or elevate their trade value. If not, they get waived to Providence, claimed or ride the pine. Either way, Sweeney earns some cap relief from the IR games and can add to the roster later.

I also think Chara could remain unsigned for the first chunk of the season and join later a la Justin Williams. Adding a healthy, rested Chara and Miller later in the season could redefine the Bruin's identity leading into the playoffs.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm really, really rooting for Miller. Guy is so well liked on that team, but injuries have been absolutely brutal to the guy. Tough as hell, mean, nasty d-man...

Reactions: easton117 and Elvs

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
It is clear Sweeney knew about the Pastrnak and Marchand injuries when he resigned Miller. Considering neither of those players will be ready to start the season (and it remains to be seen whether Miller, himself, will be ready) the total combination of IR games is going to buy Sweeney a significant amount of cap flexibility later on. Miller's starting cap hit is only $1.25m, and the rest is bonus driven. If the Bruins get 2017-18 Kevin Miller, it will be worth every penny. If not, then who knows. But clearly Sweeney and Miller have been in touch throughout his recovery.

I see the first part of the season, as a final audition for kids like Bjork, Zboril and Senyshyn followed by some roster movement soon after Pastrnak and Marchand have returned. If the kids exceed expectations, they could steal jobs or elevate their trade value. If not, they get waived to Providence, claimed or ride the pine. Either way, Sweeney earns some cap relief from the IR games and can add to the roster later.

I also think Chara could remain unsigned for the first chunk of the season and join later a la Justin Williams. Adding a healthy, rested Chara and Miller later in the season could redefine the Bruin's identity leading into the playoffs.

In other words, same old Bruins lineup and just tune in after the trade deadline if they bother to get a top line winger to help.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
I mean Markov went through a similar situation (knee injury, barely played for nearly 3 years) in his early 30's and had a few solid years after.

No offense to Kevan Miller who I wish all the best in his return to the ice, but Markov was also one of the most talented defensemen of his generation and played a very cerebral game.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
No offense to Kevan Miller who I wish all the best in his return to the ice, but Markov was also one of the most talented defensemen of his generation and played a very cerebral game.

Miller was barely hanging on 2 years ago. He does bring grit but he also might never play again. He has 1 good shoulder and one good knee.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
In other words, same old Bruins lineup and just tune in after the trade deadline if they bother to get a top line winger to help.
Why sign UFA's when we can just give up a 1st to move a bad contract and send out decent prospects for a lesser player at deadline? That's truly the Sweeney style.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Only a habs fan could write such dribble, LMFAO “one of the most talented defensemen of his generation “ he was good but never great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad