Trade: [BOS/CHW] Chris Sale to Boston for Moncada, Kopech, Basabe and Diaz

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
With the Kopech news all I can say is what was a lackluster trade to begin with has turned into a complete and absolute disaster

This may be the worst trade in White Sox history when all is said and done

Everyone knows how devastating the worst trades were for Sox organization

1) Earl Battey , Don Mincher and $150,000 to Senators for Roy Sievers

and

2) Norm Cash , John Ramano , Bubba Phillips to Indians for Minnie Minoso , Dick Brown , Don Ferrarese and Jake Striker

Literally haunted organization thru 60's giving away future stars Cash , Battey , Mincher and Ramano and destroying 59 team chemistry

Hahn should be fired for his disastrous love affair with a 2B who cant field nor can he hit

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
While it certainly looks bad for Chicago now this trade could easily have gone the other way with Sale getting hurt and Kopech/Moncada turning into stars (Kopech looked on the way to it but it's always problematic to rely on power pitching in the days of TJS). Pitching's just so fickle it's hard to build around it. That said the few guys that prove themselves durable for multiple years like Sale, Scherzer, Verlander - those are the only ones you really can afford to give the big money to and build around.

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sox gave away a top 5 lefty signed to amazing steal of a contract for lotto tickets and lost everything

You don't trade a young LH Ace #1 signed to that deal for lotto tickets. That was failure from start

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If there was no way the Sox could or would sign Sale after his contract was up I could see the logic but they're a big market, they could have easily signed him to an extension or gotten into FA bidding in addition to having those three years.

The other problem is they weren't really gonna be a win-now team so what would having Sale meant when the team's .500-ish? The Mets are facing that same thing with deGrom now, and I'm more in line with you in that I don't want to trade him either (although the Mets are more or less a mid-market in a big market so I could definitely picture them not re-signing Jake). Especially since I have no confidence in the Mets to trade for the right guys or develop them :P

And while Sale didn't work out it looks like they cashed out at the right time on Quintana.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sox gave away a top 5 lefty signed to amazing steal of a contract for lotto tickets and lost everything

You don't trade a young LH Ace #1 signed to that deal for lotto tickets. That was failure from start

It was a good trade at the time. You can't evaluate a trade years after it happens.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
If there was no way the Sox could or would sign Sale after his contract was up I could see the logic but they're a big market, they could have easily signed him to an extension or gotten into FA bidding in addition to having those three years.

The other problem is they weren't really gonna be a win-now team so what would having Sale meant when the team's .500-ish? The Mets are facing that same thing with deGrom now, and I'm more in line with you in that I don't want to trade him either (although the Mets are more or less a mid-market in a big market so I could definitely picture them not re-signing Jake). Especially since I have no confidence in the Mets to trade for the right guys or develop them :P

And while Sale didn't work out it looks like they cashed out at the right time on Quintana.

The White Sox might be in a big city but they really are not a big market team, mid-market at best with the way they spend

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'll say it wasnt a good one for 1 reason. If you're dealing Sale, you have to get back 1 of Betts or Benintendi

There was no f***ing way the Red Sox were doing that. Betts is an MVP caliber player and the Red Sox had no reason to trade him. Chicago would have been the ones adding. I guess they could have tried for Nintendo but White Sox wanted to go full scorched earth. They wanted high end prospects who's MLB service time hadn't started yet so they could have a competitive window open as long as possible. With that there is always the risk that it doesn't pan out as planned.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg

Among these lotto tickets were the #1 and #30 prospects of 2016 (according to mlb.com, but other evaluators showed similar optimism). The White Sox knew that they would likely not contend throughout the remainder of Sale's contract, so I consider the deal at least defensible. It looks particularly bad now, with Kopech injured, but that's just bad luck. Don't forget that the scissors incident happened with Sale then.

The Sale trade was also part of a process, which made the other trades (Eaton to WAS, Quintana to CHC and Kahnle et al. to NYY) much more plausible and thus netted the White Sox a bundle of more highly-ranked prospects. While one cannot predict the turnout, I think that is a rebuild properly executed. Being a Tigers fan, who sees the stocks of M. Fulmer, Greene, J. Jimenez and Castellanos falling after the All-Star break, I am still envious (and would gladly offer 23-year old 2B/3B D. Lugo, who strikes out pretty seldom, for Moncada).

Gruß,
BSHH

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kopech already had major red flag with suspension and Moncada failed to impress in his play in Boston

Sale was signed for 4 more years at one of the best deals in baseball. It was horrible trade moment it happened and Bears to settle for unproven prospects with high risk of busting should not have been gameplan from Sox

Our GM blew it and got ripped off by Red Sox gleefully taking the scraps of Sox system to hand them one of the best pitchers in baseball at giveaway price

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Kopech already had major red flag with suspension

This is irrelevant and has nothing to do with his injury which is the only reason his star has dulled. Give Moncada some time. Not every rookie is immediately successful. Calling Moncada and Kopech the scraps of a system is remarkably dumb. hell, your whole take is dumb.

Reactions: darko

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So Moncada is feasting on teams during time of year most have waved the white flag?

Sorry nice spin but we saw him have stretch last year of "Productive play" only to embarrass himself this year

Awful trade and has set back this franchise

Reactions: McCartney

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So Moncada is feasting on teams during time of year most have waved the white flag?

Sorry nice spin but we saw him have stretch last year of "Productive play" only to embarrass himself this year

Awful trade and has set back this franchise

He's only 23, a typical age where players debut in majors. Give him time.

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The entire trade was awful when made

It has done nothing but turn into a debacle since

And last time people told me to give a young talent time on Sox was Mike Caruso. It only took 2 years to realize it was time to move on from Caruso era

There is no turning this trade around as positive at this point unless Moncada becomes some superstar in coming years which seems a longshot if not impossible

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wasn't as high on Moncada as most people, so I thought it was a bad trade at the time. I mean, they got two really good prospects. One hasn't developed as hoped, and the other had an unfortunate injury. The White Sox weren't going to win with Sale, so they took a shot at two blue chip prospects. It hasn't worked out so far to say the least, but it was worth a shot.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This wasn't Donaldson to the Jays for pennies on the dollar when no one even knew Donaldson was on the market. Chicago took their time and took the best deal they could get (which was a good one). Judging the trade based on this years results is very short-sighted.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Look who's top 10 in WAR!

upload_2019-7-11_17-4-48.png

:thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad