Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Chara Extension (1 year, $2M + $1.75M in Performance Bonuses)

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
2Mil + bonuses to a six time Norris finalist (one time winner) to mentor the Bruins young defense while still being a productive member of the team isn't just a steal, it's criminal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Almost right.

His cap hit stays at $2M for the whole season.

At the end of the year, any bonus earned will be added to the team cap hit.

If they go over the cap because of this, the excess portion will be applied to the next season cap hit.

Technically his cap hit is $3.75m the whole season—until a bonus becomes impossible to earn, upon which it is reduced.

We’re just accustomed to using the Capfriendly shorthand method that doesn’t count performance bonuses as part of a player’s AAV. Helpful to simplify crunching available team cap space, but not technically correct per the CBA.

Reactions: Tall Morty

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Technically his cap hit is $3.75m the whole season—until a bonus becomes impossible to earn, upon which it is reduced.

We’re just accustomed to using the Capfriendly shorthand method that doesn’t count performance bonuses as part of a player’s AAV. Helpful to simplify crunching available team cap space, but not technically correct per the CBA.
Doesn't that mean that a team tight would have as "dead space" any possible bonuses (even those for ELC players in the minors) for part of the season ?

Let's take Toronto, for example.

On the NHL roster, they have $5.4M as possible bonuses.

By now, some of them are impossible to earn.

But at some point earlier in the season, wouldn't they have been over the cap ?

The only "big" salary they've added is Muzzin's $4M.

They also had $4.0305M in potential bonuses on minor league players on ELC contracts, but I guess I should not include Lindgren's $182.5K as he is on loan in Europe.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Doesn't that mean that a team tight would have as "dead space" any possible bonuses (even those for ELC players in the minors) for part of the season ?

Let's take Toronto, for example.

On the NHL roster, they have $5.4M as possible bonuses.

By now, some of them are impossible to earn.

But at some point earlier in the season, wouldn't they have been over the cap ?

The only "big" salary they've added is Muzzin's $4M.

They also had $4.0305M in potential bonuses on minor league players on ELC contracts, but I guess I should not include Lindgren's $182.5K as he is on loan in Europe.

Teams are allowed to exceed the cap by up to 7.5% of the upper limit due to performance bonuses—the “Bonus Cushion”.

My point was simply that Capfriendly has created the term “Cap Hit” as a shortcut to include the Bonus Cushion rules—there is no such definition of “Cap Hit” in the CBA. Pulling up Nico Hirschier for example, CF lists his “cap hit” as $925k and his AAV as $3.775M.

Using a shortcut term like “Cap Hit” is helpfull, as I said earlier. It’s just not a term recognized by the NHL or PA in the CBA.

P.S performance bonuses on ELC contracts of players in the minors or returned to juniors don’t count against the bonus cushion.

Reactions: Tall Morty

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He can beat up a guy like Martin but it's still so easy to skate around him now. Bad move for Bruins.

I think you are talking of Leafs defense there.

Great number, now just to watch how they'll deal the LD situation this summer.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's been good lately but was having a tough year otherwise IMO. Still well worth a roster spot and good to have back for leadership.

Side note: it's insane how drawn out Bergeron's transition to the captaincy will be. He had a legit shot at getting the C in 2006 but was still too young and the Bruins went with Chara right off the bat. Fast forward 13 years and it's still pushed another year.
Bergeron=Prince Charles

Reactions: wintersej

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I honestly thought he was done a few years ago. But he seems to have gotten his second wind. He's not quite the player he was in the past, but stats prove he's still quite valuable to the Bruins. Good deal for sure.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is the definition of a team friendly deal. Good news for the B's, bad news for the Atlantic division. Bruins are lucky to have him for another year.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Shocking this thread is turning into somehow Leafs-related.

They drink the Leaf kool aid everyday on the radio and Leaf lunch and dwell on snippets of one or two bad plays and make that the norm. Same as this myth they have better depth.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
2Mil + bonuses to a six time Norris finalist (one time winner) to mentor the Bruins young defense while still being a productive member of the team isn't just a steal, it's criminal.

Nice...

Looking at the broons contract list, they really don't have any 10M$ anchor deals. Team is getting old, but they have cap to fill the holes. Other teams can't get shit with that money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->