Proposal: BOS - CAR

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This came up in a discussion between some Canes fans and Bruins fans and it seems to be a mutual fit for both sides. Interested in seeing what the masses think.

To BOS:
LD - Brady Skjei (4 x $5.25)

To CAR:
LW - Jake Debrusk (RFA coming off his ELC)

The thought process behind this is that Krug will have priced himself out of Boston and will be leaving via free agency. With a vacancy on the left side, the 26 y/o Skjei would fill in at the same cap hit that Krug currently has and is locked up for 4 more years.

The Hurricanes are looking for a top 6 LW with size, physicality, and speed to play with the super Finns or on the 2nd line. Debrusk at 23 y/o would fit right in with this young core.

Willing to entertain pluses to even the trade out or make it into something bigger but this would be the basis for the deal.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Why are the Bruins being punished because the Canes mistakenly traded for Skjei?

Carolina trades a lower first rounder for, apparently, one half season's worth of Skjei's greatness. Now, six months later he's worth a second line RFA goal scorer?

I'm thinking, no.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'm still more interested in a Fleury for DeBrusk move but liked this thought process as well.

To me it just seems like they are great trading partners as the Hurricanes want a young, cost controlled LW and the Bruins need a young, cost controlled LHD (Fleury, Skjei or Bean for example at various +'s to get DeBrusk).

Solid proposal though!

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm still more interested in a Fleury for DeBrusk move but liked this thought process as well.

To me it just seems like they are great trading partners as the Hurricanes want a young, cost controlled LW and the Bruins need a young, cost controlled LHD (Fleury, Skjei or Bean for example at various +'s to get DeBrusk).

Solid proposal though!

Yeah agree that it should be Skjei + for Debrusk but I’m also down for a trade involving Bean <> Debrusk

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Bruins fans will want the Fleury and Bean first. Bean + (like one of the 2nds) or Fleury and the Buffalo 3rd (10 spots further down?) is the most enticing.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Will Boston take Neidereitter or Dzingel with Skjei, just to clear a spot for DeBrusk?

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I don’t see how Boston moving a solid second line wing for a dman fixes Boston’s problem. They are a top defensive team in the league who will likely lose their worst defensive/undersized dman who’s best asset is PP production. They are middle of the pack offensively even strength. Have been for the last two years as well as being far too reliant on the power play to over come it. They badly need to add another very solid second line winger, not subtract one.

M-B-P
DeBrusk-Krejci-Hall/Dadanov/Trade
Ritchie-Coyle-Kase
Extra-Kuraly-Wagner
extras: Bjork,Studnicka, Frederic, Senyshyn

Chara/Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Grzelcyk/Chara-Carlo
Lauzon-Clifton
Extras: Moore, Zboril, Vaakanainen

Rask
Halák

Is still a top team and more balanced going into next year. They could absolutely use upgrade on LD but they have some young guys who are ready to step up and have been very good at developing dmen and integrating them into the lineup. The same can’t be said for secondary scoring especially that 2nd line RW spot that has been the biggest glaring weakness on the team for years.

The only way I see DeBrusk moving is if the Bruins manage to add two good top 6 forwards and I don’t see that happening.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Will Boston take Neidereitter or Dzingel with Skjei, just to clear a spot for DeBrusk?

No. They would be moving DeBrusk because they have replaced him in UFA...if they take back one of Carolinas bad contracts that isn’t possible.

And if they are moving DeBrusk, Fleury/Bean are more enticing assets for similar $$$ reasons, but I think they need to be paired with something like Toronto’s first to beat what an Edmonton could offer.

I for one would be against the move, but I know some would be for it.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Why are the Bruins being punished because the Canes mistakenly traded for Skjei?

Carolina trades a lower first rounder for, apparently, one half season's worth of Skjei's greatness. Now, six months later he's worth a second line RFA goal scorer?

I'm thinking, no.

This was possibly about arbitrage for the Canes.

If someone offered you a semi-useful-to-you asset you don't really need, for substantially-less than you know you can sell that asset for when you no longer have a use for it, do you say "No" really?

Fleury being cheaper and showing he can play 2nd-pair minutes made Skjei expendable.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Why trade DeBrusk for an offensive defensemen when there are plenty on the free agent market? The Bruins need a top 4 LD that is good defensively.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
This was possibly about arbitrage for the Canes.

If someone offered you a semi-useful-to-you asset you don't really need, for substantially-less than you know you can sell that asset for when you no longer have a use for it, do you say "No" really?

Fleury being cheaper and showing he can play 2nd-pair minutes made Skjei expendable.
I'll never understand why Waddell saw Skjei making $5m+ for half a decade while everyone has been saying, "Jeez, is it me or is Skjei playing worse this season?" every year since 2017 and couldn't stop himself from jumping at the opportunity to trade for him.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
No. They would be moving DeBrusk because they have replaced him in UFA...if they take back one of Carolinas bad contracts that isn’t possible.

And if they are moving DeBrusk, Fleury/Bean are more enticing assets for similar $$$ reasons, but I think they need to be paired with something like Toronto’s first to beat what an Edmonton could offer.

I for one would be against the move, but I know some would be for it.
Do you really believe the return for DeBrusk is a 1st and Skjei? That is ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->