Bortuzzo two handed slash on Loui Eriksson (Eriksson injured, out vs NJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston

(early in the video before the shot on goal)

Missed the remainder of the 2nd period, came back in the 3rd, missed the final 9:15 of the 3rd and all of OT. Suspension/fine? Sternly worded warning?

Unlikely but I believe the NHL has a problem with slashes to the hand/wrist area causing injuries that isn't being taken seriously, a slash to the stick is more likely to be called. If they won't let the players police the game anymore the NHL has to crack down on stickwork.

Last edited:

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I had to watch that 5 times before I even saw it. They missed a minor penalty.

2 minute minor penalty

That's probably all that play is, and that's the problem. You shouldn't be able to two hand a guy in the hands with your stick parallel to the ice, not even an attempt at stick on stick. I'd like to start seeing fines if you hurt a guy while doing something illegal with your stick.

SchennSational1022*

Never liked Bortuzzo. Guy prances around taking liberties and acting way tougher than he actually is. This doesn't look so bad though.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Crosby gets slashed like that every game and it goes uncalled.

I don't think Crosby gets slashed causing him to miss half the game every game. There is a difference between a tap and a two handed chop, Crosby wouldn't be able to continue to play every game if he got a two hander like that every game. He would have broken bones in his hand. We see Crosby get tapped and poked every game.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't think Crosby gets slashed causing him to miss half the game every game. There is a difference between a tap and a two handed chop, Crosby wouldn't be able to continue to play every game if he got a two hander like that every game. He would have broken bones in his hand. We see Crosby get tapped and poked every game.

He has taken several two handers this season,,, there was speculation he has a wrist issue from it and that's why he isn't scoring, but anyhow, by the "Code" of the Pejorative Slured NHL if the guy doesn't miss a game or at least the rest of that game its nothing more than a two minute call. No different than marchand's two handed cross check to the head in the same game

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
He has taken several two handers this season,,, there was speculation he has a wrist issue from it and that's why he isn't scoring, but anyhow, by the "Code" of the Pejorative Slured NHL if the guy doesn't miss a game or at least the rest of that game its nothing more than a two minute call. No different than marchand's two handed cross check to the head in the same game

Did anyone truly believe that? Or still does? I certainly hope not.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Did anyone truly believe that? Or still does? I certainly hope not.

I have no idea whether he's still hurt, but as a point of order Crosby chose to avoid surgery this past offseason for an injured wrist.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
How is this a thread?!

What does the OP expect? Go watch another sport like figure skating if you think this minor penalty is thread worthy.

Elvis Presley

Aka #30
Apr 14, 2009
brooklyn
OP wanted to show off his video making skills. Nice cut there, m80.

I mean, I guess technically that would be a 2 min minor, but if they called those every single time, we'd have a very long, boring game.

Thread worthy? My vote is absolutely not.

JA

This is a malicious two-handed slash. That said, the Bortuzzo slash itself is only a recent example to emphasize the OP's point.

The OP is correct that slashing needs to be taken more seriously. Two-handed chops should always be called; referees tend to be very liberal about it. Hooking, in recent years, has been called more tightly. The same approach can be taken to slashing.

Last edited by a moderator:

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
That's probably all that play is, and that's the problem. You shouldn't be able to two hand a guy in the hands with your stick parallel to the ice, not even an attempt at stick on stick. I'd like to start seeing fines if you hurt a guy while doing something illegal with your stick.

I would have no problem with seeing that happen. The league can suspend a player for intent to injure any time another player is injured, they just never do it. I imagine proving intent in a lot of cases would be very hard.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
Yeah it also took me a while to realize it's in the beginning couple of seconds. Maybe that should be added to the OP.
Anyway, the Pens get all the calls. Thanks Uncle Gary!

There were 2 questionable calls tonight. The first resulted in a no goal for the Pens and the second a goal for the Bruins. I'm not saying the calls were wrong, but they were two close calls that could go either way, so, no, the pens do not get all the calls.

BudMovin*

These kinds of slashes happen all the time. Standard 2 minute penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad