Bortuzzo suspended 4 games

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
But he has acted this way with different teams. He is a repeat offender.

“Bortuzzo is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, will forfeit $67,073.16.”

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Bortz needs to learn how to control himself in these situations. He's had several instances now where he at least feels someone flopped, and he goes back for more. He needs to cut his losses in these situations or he's going to end up costing this team a game at some point with this habit.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I like the guy. Seems cool off the ice. He lost it on that play, hurt the guy, and now he will pay. Justice is served.

Reactions: Brian39

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Read the main boards. What I expect from the internet. Anonymous tough guys projecting all their salt and anger about losing to the Blues in the playoffs upon Borts stupid dirty play.

I'd be fine with Bort getting an 8 game suspension. I do think there was an initial dive (we see this a lot by the Preds), but Bort's response was brain dead stupid and dirty. He could have messed that guy up pretty bad.

Reactions: dutchblues

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The Bortuzzo suspension was definitely deserved, but god damn is it annoying seeing people on the main boards (especially the fans of a certain two teams) act like every act is McSorely/Brashear all over again

No doubt. I can't imagine how they would have reacted to old time hockey, where cheap shots and cross checks were much more common. Some people were arguing that he needs a 10, 20 game suspension or longer. I guess that's just how weak the younger generation is today.

Players have always paid the price for going into the crease. Bortz went a little too far but anyone calling for an assault charge needs to find a new sport to watch. I suggest figure skating.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It was a dumb play and Bortuzzo has, unfortunately, now cemented himself as one of the dirtier players in the league. He's in that group now with Marchand, Wilson and Lucic.

I like being a hard team to play against that finishes their checks, but let's keep it to that. Finishing checks. There's no reason for cross checks like this and it makes our team look bad.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This should start a rivalry between St Louis and Nasvhille years to come, it was incredibly dirty, simply a very unsportsmanlike behavior. Almost looking more like bullying than hockey, it's rare I get so upset watching a game like this sequence.

I am not judging the entire team though, I usually really like the way St Louis play hockey and when you win Stanley Cup then you are the best hockey team in the world.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
This should start a rivalry between St Louis and Nasvhille years to come, it was incredibly dirty, simply a very unsportsmanlike behavior. Almost looking more like bullying than hockey, it's rare I get so upset watching a game like this sequence.

I am not judging the entire team though, I usually really like the way St Louis play hockey and when you win Stanley Cup then you are the best hockey team in the world.

It's funny because I find all the diving and flopping Nashville does as more unsportsman like and bad for the game than what Bortuzzo did.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
There are some embarrassing posts in this thread.

Sammy Blais getting hurt has no bearing on what Bortuzzo did.

No one cares about how the game used to be played. We have new knowledge on how unhealthy it is for the humans involved to take a beating like that. I'm glad we are part of a society that can learn and evolve to be more compassionate about that.

This act was shameful and he should have been suspended a lot longer. If you think he got injured while flopping I encourage you to watch the NHL suspension video which shows the second cross check close up and in slow motion. The guy's legs bent in a way that looks painful. He sprung up because that's the reaction anyone has to their groin/knee/ankle being stretched like that.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Bortuzzo has a habit of doing this when he thinks guys are diving. And make no mistake Arvidsson flops like there’s a guy in the stands with a 50 cal a lot. But there’s just no acceptable reason for cross checking a defenseless player like that. And it drives me nuts that the blues haven’t convinced Bortuzzo to stop being an idiot in these instances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Today's generation would have never survived in the era of Pronger/Hatcher/Beukeboom etc.
Brock?
b_beukeboom.jpg

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
Bortz was obviously angry because of the dive on the first cross check. And it looks like a dive to me. But a player can't let their anger get the best of them. A more measured response would have been understandable. Wait until he's standing then give him a push to the shoulder to make him stumble as a way of saying "Quit diving." But you can't take it upon yourself to try and knock a guy out of action because he dives. Bortz let his anger get out of hand and got punished. Eight games instead of four wouldn't have surprised or disappointed me.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This doesn't hurt us at all. Bortuzzo play 50/50 with Gunnar. Shame Arvidsson is out 4-6 weeks. I view that first crosscheck was more dangerous than that 2nd one which Arvidsson was incredible unlucky, those legs were so akward position when Bortuzzo give him crosscheck. Dirty play, unacceptable, but I love Bortuzzo what he brings.

Wonder what next game will be.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
it's like i've seen this act before...

oh yeah...i have:

Bortuzzo is a servicable 3rd-pairing guy, but he's also a meathead who is developing a deserved reputation. He's probably on par with Perron as for most-likely to take a boneheaded, undisciplined penalty. Perron's are tolerable though because they're typically not assault, like many of Bortuzzo's are. There's a role for him on the team, but he's gotta learn at some point or expect to get more unpaid time off.

Last edited:

Mar 6, 2012
I have no problem with this suspension. I like that Bortuzzo plays with an edge, but he needs to stay on the right side of the edge.

This is an old school hockey play and it's time to get stuff like this out of the game.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
No doubt. I can't imagine how they would have reacted to old time hockey, where cheap shots and cross checks were much more common. Some people were arguing that he needs a 10, 20 game suspension or longer. I guess that's just how weak the younger generation is today.

Players have always paid the price for going into the crease. Bortz went a little too far but anyone calling for an assault charge needs to find a new sport to watch. I suggest figure skating.

SO just because something used to be a certain way, that way is right? Our military used to dig trenches and then charge across killing fields while being shot at by machine guns. 15 million soldiers died in WW2 by doing that, but its how we used to do things, so it must be right? Now, we have tanks and air strikes and drones, and all sorts of modern military tactics. Are modern soldiers weak, because they prefer an unmanned drone to take the risk of death rather than fight WW2 style?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brian39

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'll say it again. The entire thing looked comical. The first one he was barely touched and went down like he was shot. Then how the **** are you on your knees and the cross check picks you up and throws you down on your back? Ya Bortuzzo acted dumb and deserves the suspension but that worthless **** embellished the entire thing.

He may have embellished the whole thing, but DAMN, you have to admire how committed he is to it. He is going to sit out 4-6 weeks to sell the 4 game suspension on our 7th D when he is one of his struggling teams best players. He must have bribed a doctor to report an injury so the team could put him on LTIR. Maybe he just wanted a vacation, so he is faking it all, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad