Borowiecki Suspended 1 Game

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Watched it frame by frame. Impact is forearm not elbow. You can see his elbow on the other side of the B’s player’s head on impact. Forearm in line with player’s shoulders. Unfortunate thing is that he comes in with his head down and forearm catches his chin. No head or face contact.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Thats a bad hit. Wow, so intentional and by a low life goon against one of the better young guys coming up in the league. A rookie with a TON a promise. Throw the book at this clown, super intentional too this just has to make any hockey fan angry :rant:

10-15 games and Id still be angry at this worm

Reactions: b in vancouver

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Watched it frame by frame. Impact is forearm not elbow. You can see his elbow on the other side of the B’s player’s head on impact. Forearm in line with player’s shoulders. Unfortunate thing is that he comes in with his head down and forearm catches his chin. No head or face contact.

Yeah I’m not sure it was intentional hit to the head. Looked like he was trying to put a hard forearm in his chest to block him out.

He’s still responsible for what he does with his arms though and he got someone in the head. I’d still give it 3 games.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Surprised there wasn’t a thread on this already. If it had been Marchand delivering this elbow, people would have been calling for a firing squad.

Not sure how a penalty wasn’t called here? Vaakanainen diagnosed with a concussion and didn’t return.

It looked more like a forearm and yeah its a stupid play but seems more reactionary to clear the net front area.

I think Borowei..whatever..is a turd of a player that has his history of dirty hits, but I think in this case, it's just someone coming out of his blind spot and him doing his job and reacting. Nothing malicious there. It's like a shove that just landed weird.

Reactions: robsenz

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Thats a bad hit. Wow, so intentional and by a low life goon against one of the better young guys coming up in the league. A rookie with a TON a promise. Throw the book at this clown, super intentional too this just has to make any hockey fan angry :rant:

10-15 games and Id still be angry at this worm

10-15?

Are you a serious? Let's go for 70.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruins fan here Watched it a few times and think he stuck arm out as reactionary and caught him with forearm in head.Cannot say it was intentional but he is responsible for kid having a concussion.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
It's a dirty play and will get a suspension, though I think at maximum he'll get 5 games (with his history). Realistically, I would expect 2-3 as I'm sure he'll argue that all he wanted to do was shove him back and just mistimed when his elbow came up. A poor excuse that I would hope would get laughed out of the hearing, but it's what I would try and argue to make it seem more accidental than on purpose. It's why I think he wouldn't get the 10-15 games that even Sens fans want him to get.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
To me it seems like Boro was trying to prevent Vaak from coming in to get to the puck and it was unfortunate that he got injured on the play but it didn't look dirty to me. That's the problem with slow mo cameras that often make things look worse and more intentional that they actually might be.

And also I hate how soft the NHL has gotten these days where every little hit has people crying for suspensions. I wish we could turn back the clock 20-30 years where things like this would be settled on the ice with a good fight or two or maybe even a team brawl instead of immediately having everyone from players, coaches to various media guys and even fans always calling for suspensions on every hard hit or questionable play.

This just takes all the intensity and excitement out of the game and pretty much every rivalry in hockey with even the best ones are mostly dead now because of it.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
the only reason you or anyone can think it's a reach that he intentionally did that - is because it's that bad and not what players do - but is still exactly what happened. Did he elbow him in the face intentionally - YES! look at it. Did he think about it for 20 minutes beforehand - no, but intentionally elbowed him in the head and leaned into it.

Damning evidence is actually seeing a player coming, raising your elbow, leaning into it, whipping your arm out, putting force behind it, elbowing him in the face/head and giving him a concussion.

It's going to be a long suspension.

You know what I'm convinced. It happened therefore it was his intention. Similar to Chara who ran Pacioretty's head into the stanchion intentionally.

I suspect it will be a suspension and it will be deserved, but I'd be shocked if he even has an in person hearing, let alone a lengthy suspension.

ACLEVERNAME

No content.
Jan 6, 2010
Oof...
If the kid didn’t run face first into an elbow he would have run face first into the crossbar.

Lack of awareness. Shame.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
If suspended, can we at least get some more videos with Melnyk? Turn a negative into a positive

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm all for suspending players that give head shots.

But looking at the over head reply, here's a few screen grabs of contact and after.

It's clear first of all that "Vaak" should have been far more aware of the play as Boro makes the attempt to reach and push anyone away from his crease area, kind of his job as a defenseman. Vaak at best should have had his arms up, you can't punish players for other players lack of awareness on the ice especially directly in front of them. IN FRONT OF THEM.
Before contact:
8EK1dSz.png

Point of contact:
veJ29k5.png

Looks like a full on run into his forearm when Boro is keepin people out of the crease area.

After contact:
HBiuWE7.png

You can see the push/follow through.

Here's the link of it:

It's a very slippery slope. Head contact should not be condoned, but those players should also not be punished when it's an incident like this. He's in front of his goalie protecting him and his crease, you have a player skating in to likely poke the puck loose if he can find it, he's literally in the line of sight of Boro and sees him and you can clearly see that at the angle he's coming in.

The issue here is, did he just assume nothing would happen because of the league he was coming from? Was he not paying any attention to his surroundings and was just so eager to make an impression in his first few games?

Like I said, not a fan of either team, especially "Boro" but it doesn't seem malicious or dirty to me at all. It looks unfortunate for a player keeping guys out of his crease and a high pick kid coming into that area and not being aware.

Last edited:
Reactions: pown and Vertain

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Fair enough I could have but more effort into Vaak’s intentions but the point remains. Boro is protecting his crease, he’s going to try and box out his opponent. Could he have done it better? Absolutely. Does he deserve punishment? I would say do. Did he intentionally catch his head? It’s a reach to suggest he did imo. Yes Boro see’s him coming that’s why he reacts. That’s hardly any damning evidence of him doing it intentionally though. I think anyone who has played a fast paced sport can understand that sometimes you try and do one thing but end up doing any other completely unintentionally.

I wouldn’t say he needs to play reckless, just at times with that style he can be reckless, not only to others but to himself.

If this was the standard and I was playing D, I’d be whipping *** unmerciful. “The guy is crashing the crease...let me look...and then hit him with a elbow cross right to the head.”

What? He’s coming near my goalie?! Hockey play, baby.

Please. This guy is a goon and a moron.

Nice story in the paper the other day, boss...glad to see you’re keeping it clean because of “concussions,” what a joke. Not much running around up there.

I miss the days when the Bruins had any kiwis, Shawn Thornton would have fed that guy his own teeth.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
OP just couldn't make a post without pulling the Marchand victim card.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If this was the standard and I was playing D, I’d be whipping *** unmerciful. “The guy is crashing the crease...let me look...and then hit him with a elbow cross right to the head.”

Nice story in the paper the other day, boss...glad to see you’re keeping it clean.

I miss the days when the Bruins had any kiwis, Shawn Thornton would have fed that guy his own teeth.

I haven't once said the play was standard or even acceptable. move along.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Nice story in the paper the other day, boss...glad to see you’re keeping it clean because of “concussions,” what a joke. Not much running around up there.

Hook? Then elbow?

Are you just making stuff up?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I haven't once said the play was standard or even acceptable. move along.

You’re calling this a protect the crease hockey play that was unfortunate.

He looked and gave him a forearm shiver to the head that’s gonna put the kid on the disabled list.

There’s nothing hockey play about that. That’s gooning it up.

Stop trying so hard. Call a spade a spade.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

He looked and gave him a forearm shiver to the head that’s gonna put the kid on the disabled list.

1. Boro's back is turned to Vaak.
2. It is a hockey play in the sense that he's protecting the crease, in my screen shots, all 5 Sens are collapsing in on Anderson with Bergeron trying to push in.
3. Vaak is skating in with his head up and sees Boro and does nothing, why? Tunnel vision?
4. There was hook.
5. You have 5 sens players there and there was no and I mean absolutely no reason for Vaak to skate in like that, 9 times out of 10, you do that, you're gonna get put on your wallet. Every time.

It was an unfortunate play.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I'll call a spade a spade when a Bruin fan tells me Chara intentionally ran Pacioretty's head into a stanchion.

Disclaimer: I don't believe Chara intentionally Pacioretty's head into a stanchion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->