Borowiecki Suspended 1 Game

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How would this be considered "unfortunate" and not dirty? Intriguing.

Well I’d don’t think he meant to catch his head. You see a player coming in hot towards your crease, you are gonna try and stop them. It’s unfortunate that he did catch the head. You could say it was reckless, but I don’t think dirty would be appropriate. Perhaps we have different definitions.

Reactions: Steven

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
How can anyone earning more than a million dollars a year and being one of only 650 players to be in the best hockey league in the world be a loser? If that is the case he must be an absolute genious, tricking his way up to that level simply by being nice in the locker room...
Did you see him interviewing Melnyk?

Dude is a wordsmith with a forked honey tongue

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A suspension would be fine by me. Wouldn’t call it a dirty play though, more unfortunate.

I would absolutely call it a “dirty play”. Not sure how you could call that anything else?

Unfortunate is when two guys go for a puck in the corner and make contact, one loses an edge and gets hurt. Intentionally elbowing someone in the head is not “unfortunate”.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Well I’d don’t think he meant to catch his head. You see a player coming in hot towards your crease, you are gonna try and stop them. It’s unfortunate that he did catch the head. You could say it was reckless, but I don’t think dirty would be appropriate. Perhaps we have different definitions.

The look over at Vaak plus who he is tells me it was intentional. He is always crossing the line, under the radar due to lack of impact - as I said, I never think of his name in the dirty player threads but he belongs. He tries too hard to be some tough Emelin/Kronwall hybrid but he is neither, just dirty and tries too hard!

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016

Id be more likely to buy this (but still wouldn't) if vak wasnt very clearly pulling up/coming to a stop. Even then the look by boro seals it for me as dirty.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
A suspension would be fine by me. Wouldn’t call it a dirty play though, more unfortunate.

No. I called it stupid earlier because it's really really dirty. Like really dirty. Like you don't see grown hockey players throw an elbow like that kind of dirty. That's taught out of you so young nowadays as it has been for the past few decades. Things ride up but you can't throw those kind of elbows since the 70s.

Honest question - when's the last time any of us saw a player lean into an elbow in a scrum like that to catch someone in the the head? I't simply doesn't happen. This wasn't skating hard and battling and throwing an elbow. This was stupid and trying to end someone.

He's going to be sitting for awhile.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The look over at Vaak plus who he is tells me it was intentional. He is always crossing the line, under the radar due to lack of impact - as I said, I never think of his name in the dirty player threads but he belongs. He tries too hard to be some tough Emelin/Kronwall hybrid but he is neither, just dirty and tries too hard!

Yes he recognized Vaak coming in to jam at his goalies, and he did try to impede him from doing just that but I think it’s a leap to call it intentional.

There’s no doubt he plays on the edge and at times is reckless. I wouldn’t mistake that for intentionally hurting people. He knows what he has to do to stay in the league and he is trying to that but sometimes the results are unfortunate.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No. I called it stupid earlier because it's really really dirty. Like really dirty. Like you don't see grown hockey players throw an elbow like that kind of dirty. That's taught out of you so young nowadays as it has been for the past few decades. Things ride up but you can't throw those kind of elbows since the 70s.

Honest question - when's the last time any of us saw a player lean into an elbow in a scrum like that to catch someone in the the head? I't simply doesn't happen. This wasn't skating hard and battling and throwing an elbow. This was stupid and trying to end someone.

He's going to be sitting for awhile.

The last time I saw an elbow like that was when Marchand hit Mojo...and he got 5 games.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
ok at first i was thinking unfortunate incident , but after watching this vid and viewing a different camera angle , i'm changing my mind... 2-3 games

I'll be very surprised if he gets any less than 5 and think it could be double digits. It would be 2-3 games if he leaned into it like that with his shoulder. That he turns, sees him, raises his elbow and puts force behind it. It crosses every t and dots every i.

Nothing to do with the laundry. That play and movement is simply ... it's just... ? Not thinking, taking out frustration, over-reacting - whatever - that's probably the most suspendible play I've seen in awhile.

Reactions: Estlin

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll be very surprised if he gets any less than 5 and think it could be double digits. It would be 2-3 games if he leaned into it like that with his shoulder. That he turns, sees him, raises his elbow and puts force behind it. It crosses every t and dots every i.

Nothing to do with the laundry. That play and movement is simply ... it's just... ? Not thinking, taking out frustration, over-reacting - whatever - that's probably the most suspendible play I've seen in awhile.

I would be very surprised if it was double digits.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

You know what , i think both fanbases would be happy with a long suspension :laugh:
But double digits, i dont think so

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
looks like Boro went for a hit on a guy who was flying in on his goalie with a covered puck. not an unexpected response. the bruin player was in a knee bend as he was hockey stopping and had his head down trying to locate a potential loose puck.

i dont see a dirty play with intent here. I see a common 'hockey play' with an unfortunate result. but given the league the direction is trending and the ever increasing emphasis on deterring head trauma, i would not be surprised to see a suspension out of this.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
This feels like a unfortunate result as a consequence of a reckless play. No real intent to injure.

There's a scrum, he sees a guy coming full speed (initially) into his goalie's crease while people are sprawled. Goes to counter hit to make sure that no one breaches the crease. The unfortunate and reckless part is that he only has his forearm available to do so.

Keep in mind that Boro probably doesn't recognize or react in time to Vaak stopping, because he's not that good of a player to see that. He's already decided on a course of action.

Reactions: Steven

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The last time I saw an elbow like that was when Marchand hit Mojo...and he got 5 games.

Marchand's was bad for sure and a pretty justifiable 5. This one is worse IMO. Quite easily.
The difference is that Marchand at least could make some kind of argument about game play or something.

This one is just him trying to take someone's head off.

And as someone that's played a lot of hockey in my life - getting hit like this is a helluva lot scarier than the Marchand hit.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes he recognized Vaak coming in to jam at his goalies, and he did try to impede him from doing just that but I think it’s a leap to call it intentional.

There’s no doubt he plays on the edge and at times is reckless. I wouldn’t mistake that for intentionally hurting people. He knows what he has to do to stay in the league and he is trying to that but sometimes the results are unfortunate.

Vaak was not coming into to “jam the goalie”. He was coming in looking for a loose puck. Boro looked back, saw him, and threw the elbow out. The video makes it look pretty intentional.

So, in order to stay in the league, Boro needs to play borderline and reckless? Sounds like a recipe for disaster?

Reactions: Owenay and Estlin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This feels like a unfortunate result as a consequence of a reckless play. No real intent to injure.

There's a scrum, he sees a guy coming full speed (initially) into his goalie's crease while people are sprawled. Goes to counter hit to make sure that no one breaches the crease. The unfortunate and reckless part is that he only has his forearm available to do so.

Keep in mind that Boro probably doesn't recognize or react in time to Vaak stopping, because he's not that good of a player to see that. He's already decided on a course of action.

Well, now that you explain it that way, using unfortunate and reckless repeatedly, I can see that the elbow was totally justified...

I guess Vaak should consider himself “fortunate” that Boro didn’t only have his stick available to make sure he didn’t breach the crease.

ps It was an elbow, not a forearm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad