Confirmed with Link: Borowiecki Signs 2 Years AAV of $1.2 million ($1.2M in both years)

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Man, you totally just made this up. When has that ever happened?

Chris Phillips extra year in his final extension. Chris Neil extra year in his final extension. Jared Cowen stupid 3 year extension. Colin Greening extra 2 years in final extension. Andrew Hammond stupid extension. Do I need to keep going?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Chris Phillips extra year in his final extension. Chris Neil extra year in his final extension. Jared Cowen stupid 3 year extension. Colin Greening extra 2 years in final extension. Andrew Hammond stupid extension. Do I need to keep going?

Sorry, not what I was getting at. When have we ever missed out on signing a player because of that? You can't just say, oh we signed Phillips for a year too long. There's no indication that those deals stopped us from acquiring players. Neil played almost all of his extention, Cowen and Greening were dealt for Phaneuf, Hammond was replaced by Condon.

Reactions: Smash88

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
If you were a forward playing against him would you be comfortable carrying the puck across the red line or our blue line, I know I certainty wouldn't. He's not here to get points, we have Karlsson and Phaneuf for that and Chabot later down the line. He fits our left d stepping up plan.

I also like having someone to drop the gloves on the team with Neil gone.

Reactions: Back in Black

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It likely would've been Harpur filling that role. Kid had a nasty streak in Bingo, and there's the added benefit that Harpur can handle the puck and move it up the ice decently.

I figure next year's D looks something like:

Claesson - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Phaneuf - Jaros
Harpur, Borowiecki

With Englund and Lajoie still in the AHL.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
You don't think that's an issue? At all? It doesn't hinder us from signing ANYONE?

I am 100% sure that if we had no contracts on the books, we'd be highly active in FA.

If we had only good contracts on the books, though, there's nothing that suggests we would be. In fact, as soon as we start signing UFAs we increase our risk of giving out a terrible and actually harmful contract. I just don't believe you can ever say, oh if we didnt sign this guy we could have gotten someone better. There's an equal chance we end up signing someone worse for less money (or worse for more money!).

Reactions: aragorn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Burrows had 15 goals and 31 points last year. If he were to repeat that this year, is that not what people should realistically expect for 2.5 mil? or is it still because we gave up too much for him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If he was just dead money sure, I mean, we are already carrying dead money in a way with #internalbudget and not being a cap team. The biggest problem is that he also takes up a roster spot and actively decreases our chances of winning hockey games compared to a replacement.

In baseball terms, it's like playing a guy with a negative WAR stat.

Yeah, I said as much in the post when I wrote the "once the org figures out that we are a better team without him than with him" part.

I'm just trying to find the silver lining here - hoping he gets traded within the year, and we can get an asset back for him. I don't think this contract will be quite the debacle some might claim, but also don't think he's even in our top 6 now, let alone in 2 years when our kids have 2 more years of development under their belts.

I hated Boro's first contract, and thought it was stupid, before he was ever even a fixture on this team. I think I used up all of my Borowiecki-contract outrage back then. I'm still stuck on the "bargaining" stage of the "5 stages of grief". :laugh:

Last edited:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I've defended Dorion since he took over. I'm one of the few that liked the Burrows and Brassard deals. This time though, I'm not gonna do it, I hate the re-signing. I really wanted to move on from this player in the next year or two, we have better options imo.

Completely with you on this.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Colin cudmore stated well on twitters. The small inefficiencies can be just that. But they add up very quickly.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And it was the exact same story then. People would look a thing just one and be like "you're really complaining about average 2 mil contract. ". Uhhhh maybe not if it was just 1 of those players. But 5?

And boro is also untouchable in the lineup. He's playing 82 a season for the next 3 years. Much burrows and Thompson. They're unscratchable.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
If you were a forward playing against him would you be comfortable carrying the puck across the red line or our blue line, I know I certainty wouldn't. He's not here to get points, we have Karlsson and Phaneuf for that and Chabot later down the line. He fits our left d stepping up plan.

I also like having someone to drop the gloves on the team with Neil gone.

If I was a skilled player? Yes. Because I know he's going to come straight at me, and I know if I dangle past him, I'll get an odd man rush in on the goalie for sure. And as a skilled player, I like getting points. It helps in my next contract negotiations. I also might get on Sportscentre's highlight package for the night. :)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lol ... while I'm surprised it happened this soon, I'm not at all surprised that Boro was re-signed. GB has always & continues to talk very highly of him & his importance in his system & the organization has always loved his work ethic & toughness on the ice. Good for him to get another contract out of him & while funny I guess we can expect non-stop vitriol against Boro for another few yrs. I guess this give Ceci a break for a little while anyway.

Reactions: Back in Black

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Pointless signing, there's no reason to tie up that money(even if it's a small amount) and roster spot for two more seasons after this one before the season has even started. Dorion is not giving me any hope that he's better than B Murray(RIP :() in terms of wasting money on dead weight players.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Paging Hale the Villain.

Better or worse than the Burrows trade?

Oddly enough, I think Boro is tradeable because of the number of hits he puts up.

Some Western Conference GM will be impressed.

Even Pierre McGuire has said that pretty much every team in the league would love to have a Boro in their lineup.

1.2 million for a 6/7 defenseman is very fair in my opinion, especially one that brings the element that Boro does. An element that the Sens blueline lacks in a big way, especially with Methot gone.

If Boro gets bumped down the depth chart over the next year or too, he'll be easy to trade. Nothing wrong here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've said this for as long as I can remember; Boro is an ideal 7th Dman. I have no issues with keeping him on as such, because I don't want guys who need icetime to develop being prevented from getting that icetime.

What I don't want is Boro blocking a better dman from getting icetime, but that's a coaching decision.

I will be disappointed if we keep both Wideman and Boro though, I think there's only room for one as imo they are both ideally 7th dmen.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I've said this for as long as I can remember; Boro is an ideal 7th Dman. I have no issues with keeping him on as such, because I don't want guys who need icetime to develop being prevented from getting that icetime.

What I don't want is Boro blocking a better dman from getting icetime, but that's a coaching decision.

I will be disappointed if we keep both Wideman and Boro though, I think there's only room for one as imo they are both ideally 7th dmen.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's more like 1.2 mill for a 10th/11th dman.

Karlsson
Chabot
Ceci
Phaneuf
Claesson
Wideman
Harpur
Jaros
Engelund
Boro

Karlsson
Ceci
Phaneuf
Oduya
Claesson, Wideman, Boro
Chabot
Harpur
Jaros
England

Is more accurate going into this season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Paging Hale the Villain.

Better or worse than the Burrows trade?

Oddly enough, I think Boro is tradeable because of the number of hits he puts up.

Some Western Conference GM will be impressed.

Watch us trade him at the deadline for a 2nd round pick to LA. #assetmanagement

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
If I was a skilled player? Yes. Because I know he's going to come straight at me, and I know if I dangle past him, I'll get an odd man rush in on the goalie for sure. And as a skilled player, I like getting points. It helps in my next contract negotiations. I also might get on Sportscentre's highlight package for the night. :)
That's fair to think although last year this system worked quite well for us. I don't know, I guess if we had someone like Harper or someone on an ELC we would save 500-700k. If 500k stops us from signing Turris, Stone or Karlsson next year, I'd be surprised.

But you wouldn't dangle passed him most of the time, he'd rock you into next week like he did for 200+ players hit last season.

He's also very good at pushing cars out of the snow.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson
Ceci
Phaneuf
Oduya
Claesson, Wideman, Boro
Chabot
Harpur
Jaros
England

Is more accurate going into this season.

LOL if you think Boro is a better defenceman than Chabot. Claesson and Boro equals? What are you watching?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->