Confirmed with Link: Borowiecki Signs 2 Years AAV of $1.2 million ($1.2M in both years)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Eh, the contract is cheap enough and carries a reasonable enough term that he's a tradeable asset once the org figures out that we are a better team without him than with him. GMs are always looking for depth players like him at the trade deadline, and usually pay decent prices for them (ie: 3rd/4th rounders).

We all knew this was coming, though. I'm not surprised in the least. I'll just close my eyes on this one and try and convince myself that we signed a 2020 4th round pick for $1.2mil, "with some assembly required". :laugh:

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
For the sake of argument how many other NHL teams do you think would have interest in Boro at this price? I see a buyout in year 3 after being displaced by more productive d men in the ranks.

Why buy him out when you can bury him for only a 175k cap hit.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We had to take on Phaneuf's contract to trade Cowen and Greening. I don't think bad players are as easy to trade as you think.

GMs fall for stats all the time.

Statistically, for a 6th defenceman, Boro isn't a bad player. He generates a lot of hits and blocks a fair number of shots.

We see him sacrifice safe plays to make big hits, and some argue that there's value in this, and some argue there isn't.

I happen to think that it isn't, but there's a contingent who think he makes opposing players think twice when they cross the blueline.

Methot's wizardry was in knowing when to lay someone out and when to play it safe.

Besides, this management group likes Boro, they won't trade him. We are stuck with him for another 3 years.

This is a different issue, but based on the recent past, you may well be right.

But I don't think that the contract is untradeable if he continues his existing level of play.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For the sake of argument how many other NHL teams do you think would have interest in Boro at this price? I see a buyout in year 3 after being displaced by more productive d men in the ranks.

Hell, Edmonton went after Eric Gryba and paid him $900 K a year for two more years.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Eh, the contract is cheap enough and carries a reasonable enough term that he's a tradeable asset once the org figures out that we are a better team without him than with him. GMs are always looking for depth players like him at the trade deadline, and usually pay decent prices for them (ie: 3rd/4th rounders).

We all knew this was coming, though. I'm not surprised in the least. I'll just close my eyes on this one and try and convince myself that we signed a 2020 4th round pick for $1.2mil, "with some assembly required". :laugh:

If he was just dead money sure, I mean, we are already carrying dead money in a way with #internalbudget and not being a cap team. The biggest problem is that he also takes up a roster spot and actively decreases our chances of winning hockey games compared to a replacement.

In baseball terms, it's like playing a guy with a negative WAR stat.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You're complaining about 1.8 million average for 3 players?
3 bad players. Yeah the average doesn't look bad. For one. But add those 3 together. And that's a massive chunk of money for not much in return.

Like the days of cowen neil Phillips greening taking up almost 10 million of our cap space. Yeah. The average ain't so bad. But that's not the reality. The reality is you're paying a big chunk of your budget on minimal return.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I have no problems with the re-signing of Boro. The dollars and term are reasonable. He's interchangeable as 6th to 7th D depending on the opponent. Some might think he takes up a roster spot but no other D brings his toughness right now. Any likely D promotions would bring other assets to the table or they'd play on the opposite side of the ice so another guy's job would be in jeopardy.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, you're right. Boro changed the Boston series with a single hit. When he got injured and taken out of the lineup and the team was able to play a defenseman that wasn't trapped in own zone as much.

Pattern of signings. When fans see the organization prioritize signing cheap role players because they don't have the budget to sign actually good players, they don't feel like the organization actually care about winning, and thus they don't feel the need to spend as much money on the team as they would if they actually had hope of winning a championship.

They do have the budget to sign other players. They are never able to sign stars because they wouldn't come here. They have to trade for those players.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's about 1M wasted over the next 2YRs, when you consider that Englund (750k) should have been able to replace Boro (1.2M) in a year's time, but it's not really the end of the world.

Anderson and Burrows contracts were a lot worse.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Uh... the cap has been stagnant for like 3 years now.

It has but it does seem like people are getting paid a lot more. 10 mil+ salaries for stars are becoming the norm and it just seemed like a lot of contracts this summer had a higher aav than I would have expected. I have nothing to back that up though, just had this perception this summer.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
They do have the budget to sign other players. They are never able to sign stars because they wouldn't come here. They have to trade for those players.

The same budget that lead to us spending a 2nd round pick so another team would pay a $2million signing bonus? The same budget that has had us in the bottom 5 in the league in real salary paid for the past 5 years?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The scouting staff brought in Karlsson, Chabot, Ceci, Claesson, Harpur, Wideman, Jaros, Englund, and Lajoie, not management.

Thus leaving management responsible for Borowiecki, the Black Plague, and little else.

As a side note, can someone remind me where Dorion came from? Something about a giant ball of gas exploding?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
That's a lot of what if''s? It's 1.2 million, that's almost a rookie salary signing....

I'm not questionning the cap hit or the fact that they signed him, I'm questionning the timing... And I also said that i understand the value of Boro to the team. It's not even like a dislike him as a player. I undestand the role and limitation he has, and I'm okay with them as long as he played within them. That being said, those named I wrote all have legit chance to surpass him soon enough.. Maybe not Englund but we will see.

That being said, after reading Funky and other who said he could be used as trade bait if needed be, i'm not against the idea.. But will they? They really love Boro and he is a serviceable 6th/7th who understand his role.

Anyway, just to be clear. I'm ok with him being signed.. I just don't think it was necessary for it the be done right now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Uh... the cap has been stagnant for like 3 years now.

It`s been going up 2% to 3% a year, albeit thanks to the escalator. That`s going to influence salaries. In Boro`s case, this is equivalent to about a 1.1 mil deal from 2015.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's about 1M wasted over the next 2YRs, when you consider that Englund (750k) should have been able to replace Boro (1.2M) in a year's time, but it's not really the end of the world.

Anderson and Burrows contracts were a lot worse.

It likely would've been Harpur filling that role. Kid had a nasty streak in Bingo, and there's the added benefit that Harpur can handle the puck and move it up the ice decently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad