Boro nominated as Sens Rep for Bill Masterton Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
To give recognition to a player that had to overcome a lot?

What am I missing...
Put simply, the more feel-good stories for the NHL, the better it is for everyone involved. But at the same time, the odds of anyone feeling slighted for not being nominated are exceptionally slim... whereas for a skill-based award, the stakes are viewed as higher.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Put simply, the more feel-good stories for the NHL, the better it is for everyone involved. But at the same time, the odds of anyone feeling slighted for not being nominated are exceptionally slim... whereas for a skill-based award, the stakes are viewed as higher.

I guess the stakes are higher. Doesn't mean it couldn't generate a feel good story around a player that burst into stardom on a bottom feeder getting recognition and fans,that were generally upset, excited.

Lots of different sources to make people feel good about hockey players or teams. Skill being recognized could be a feel good source for hockey fans.

I'd find it neat and encouraging for mark stone if he got our team MVP after karlsson likely having it for 5 or so years in a row. Would feel good to everyone hyping up stone.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
To give recognition to a player that had to overcome a lot?

What am I missing...

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I posted while at the grocery store, my bad.

I feel as though you are fundamentally missing the spirit of the Masterton.

All other awards in the NHL are competitive awards. The Masterton is the only one that is not.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I posted while at the grocery store, my bad.

You mean emotions I take it? Yeah, I relate way better with logic than emotion so you very well could be right sir.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You mean emotions I take it? Yeah, I relate way better with logic than emotion so you very well could be right sir.

If you are trying to assess the Masterton using logic/objective reasoning over emotion/subjective reasoning, then you are doing the Masterton wrong.

1) Antti Niemi is the Habs nominee, having played on 3 teams this year (and 4 teams in the last 14 months), and after struggling with his career on the ropes, finally finding a home in Montreal where he has performed at an elite level. His story focuses on perseverance in the face of a career running off the rails, hanging on / not giving up and playing through professional struggles to find a light at the end of the tunnel.

2) Jordan Staal is Carolina's nominee after having lost his infant daughter to a birth defect, and the psychological fight he has had this season playing through such a personal loss (similar to Karlsson, I suppose).

3) Brian Boyle played through Leukemia.

4) Derek Dorsett was forced to retire far too early in the face of crippling neck injuries.

... How are you going to use "logic" to assess and rank these four completely different, entirely subjective, non-statistical stories? Is there a mathematical formula to decide which of these four players "persevered" more than the others? Is there a spreadsheet that helps determine which player better embodied the idea of "sportsmanship"?

The award is the embodiment of an appeal to emotion. At no point has there ever been objective consideration in the history of the Masterton.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good for Boro. I doubt he wins but it's very nice that his teammates & management appreciate all that he does for the team & what he has gone through enough to nominate him, well deserved.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Congrats to Boro, a great team leader and inspiration. He deserves some good attention.

The MVP is a league wide award. We wouldnt want to say that Malkin and Crosby couldn’t both be eligible as finalists. And it wouldn’t necessarily make sense to choose one player from each team for that award. It’s a league wide award, its only the top 3 we are interested in for the elite award.

Each team is completely free to nominate the most value player for their team that year and give them a team award, celebrated in the city by the fans of that city and the team. Some teams would have a player that has no business being considered in the company of league mvp - it would demean it. It would still be Karlsson for Ottawa though, or Stone takes that this year?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
There are the rumours with Boro and mental health issues. Maybe the media knows more about it that is being let on?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

All other awards in the NHL are competitive awards. The Masterton is the only one that is not.
At the grocery store...? You’re devoted! :)

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Guys like me don’t get all the press.”#Sens d-man Mark Borowiecki is humbled by Bill Masterton nomination, but is the right man for the honour, writes

A segment of our fanbase and most of our press corps love them some knuckledraggers and abhor skilled players.

Compare the treatment of Boro and Hoffman as a prime example.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A segment of our fanbase and most of our press corps love them some knuckledraggers and abhor skilled players.

Compare the treatment of Boro and Hoffman as a prime example.

Do you really want to get into how the fanbase treats Boro? The guy has been one of if not the most criticized sens on these boards for a couple years. Hoffman gets ragged on for some of the crap he does, but he also gets heaps of praise. When the spotlight is on you, it's par for the course.

Look at what the Masterson is awarded for and tell me that Boro doesn't fit the bill to a tee.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Do you really want to get into how the fanbase treats Boro? The guy has been one of if not the most criticized sens on these boards for a couple years. Hoffman gets ragged on for some of the crap he does, but he also gets heaps of praise. When the spotlight is on you, it's par for the course.

Look at what the Masterson is awarded for and tell me that Boro doesn't fit the bill to a tee.
1) I said A PORTION OF THE FANBASE loves Boro and the knuckledraggers.

2) I've already said that I'm happy for Boro and feel he is a worthy candidate.

I still hate the amount of coverage and love this 7th Dman gets from our press.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
1) I said A PORTION OF THE FANBASE loves Boro and the knuckledraggers.

2) I've already said that I'm happy for Boro and feel he is a worthy candidate.

I still hate the amount of coverage and love this 7th Dman gets from our press.

He gets coverage from the media because he makes himself available to talk to them, and is generally a pretty talkative guy that is willing to give his thoughts beyond canned responses. Basically, he gets attention from the media because he doesn't brush them off. In this case, he's getting media attention because he meets the exact criteria for an award and the media are covering his nomination. Why would you criticize media's coverage of him under these circumstances?

Every single fan-base in the history of hockey has a segment that loves the lunch pail guys. This isn't unique to our fan-base in any way.

Nobody abhors skill. They abhor lazy avoidable breakdowns. When Hoffman gets ragged on, there are valid reasons for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad