Boris Valabik

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I've already posted what I saw of this kid. I saw him play 3 times in London this year and in every game looked awful. I did not know he was in his draft year, if I did I would have thought he'd be drafted very late if at all.

Obviously he is a big hulking defenceman but he looked like he didn't know what the hell he was doing out there. He lost the puck many times, was not physical at all and when your that big you better be.

I even seen him get his clock cleaned by a 5'10 Brandon Prust, one punch and Valabik went down face first... got up 30 seconds later and threw his helmet on the ice and took a temper tantrum.

Based on those games I wouldn't even draft him, but since he is so big someone will.
i'd compare him to John Erskine another big hulking defenceman from the Knights now with Dallas, but John had some skill in junior Valabik has none.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
trahans99 said:
I even seen him get his clock cleaned by a 5'10 Brandon Prust, one punch and Valabik went down face first... got up 30 seconds later and threw his helmet on the ice and took a temper tantrum.
Okay, I let the first couple of posts go where you made comment about Prust taking Valabik out with one punch, but I can't let it slide anymore.

Are you by chance referring to the game where two linesmen had a hold of Valabik and Prust (like the true sportsman he is) punched a guy who couldn't defend himself or fight back? Yes, thought so......... If you were in the same situation, would you be happy with the linesmen/refs, or would you be ticked that they allowed Prust to roam free while holding you? Thought so again......

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on Valabik or any other player, but take off the Knightvision goggles first.

munkeyman70

Sep 4, 2003
Dallas
trahans99 said:
I've already posted what I saw of this kid. I saw him play 3 times in London this year and in every game looked awful. I did not know he was in his draft year, if I did I would have thought he'd be drafted very late if at all.

Obviously he is a big hulking defenceman but he looked like he didn't know what the hell he was doing out there. He lost the puck many times, was not physical at all and when your that big you better be.

Based on those games I wouldn't even draft him, but since he is so big someone will.
i'd compare him to John Erskine another big hulking defenceman from the Knights now with Dallas, but John had some skill in junior Valabik has none.

Eriskine? Skill? We talking about the same guy here?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Charlie_Girl49 said:
Are you by chance referring to the game where two linesmen had a hold of Valabik and Prust (like the true sportsman he is) punched a guy who couldn't defend himself or fight back? Yes, thought so......... If you were in the same situation, would you be happy with the linesmen/refs, or would you be ticked that they allowed Prust to roam free while holding you? Thought so again.......

This is exactly what happened... Prust had his own jersey over his head a bit and than popped back out, so I'm not sure he knew the linesman had Valabik tied up, but no question the linesman screwed Valabik over. Valabik was probably even more frusterated cuz it happened against Prust who had been after him for 2 or 3 games. (Once Keefe even had to step in and fight Prust to keep him away from Valabik)

There was no linesman interfernce though when Bois beat on Valabik pretty good, but in fairness to Valabik that was earlier in the year and he didn't have much fighting experience yet.

I don't think the Chara comparisons are fair, but I don't doubt Valabik will be a decent stay at home defenceman at the NHL level, with a nasty edge in the corners and in front of the net. He is fairly mobile for his size and of course he's already learning to utilize that huge reach, that's a great weapon that can make up for a missed step here or there. He's alot more legit than say a Kutznetsov and the fact he's already adapting to the NA game and enjoys playing the NA game is a good thing, but lets not get carried away with the Chara comparisons.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Versus Bois... how can you compare. Valabik is only 18 and Bois is 21 i believe, and Valabik hasnt really filled out yet so obviously Boris is out matched in strength.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
trahans99 said:

Wow, you've watched an entirely different player then the rest of us then. Or you somehow managed to catch Valabik on an off night three times.

Valabik is one of the most physically dominant defenseman in the OHL. He's one mean mother. He's big and he uses his size. Plus hes got a bit of a hot temper.

But Valabik is also a good skater, especially good for a guy who's as big as he is. He's got good offensive instincts as well, is good with the puck and I think as he grows into his offensive game more (in terms of being comfortable), I think we'll see him turn into a good powerplay QB.

If I were to describe Valabik, I'd probably use the exact and complete opposite of what you wrote. And I wouldn't hesistate to take Valabik as high as 15th.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
when it comes to comparisions between valabik to chara, the thing that you have to keep in mind is that chara wasn't a norris caliber defensemen at age 18. back then he was big and clumsy, and then as he got older he developed into the nhler that he is today...

so people see valabik as being similar to chara at the same age, but obviously he would have make the same progress and development that chara made to be the players that chara is now.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Chara was a joke the first couple of years. A tall, monstorous player, with few positioning and defensive instincts. now look at him...

Valabik's not Chara. But his upside might be a little short of it. He's a poor mans Chara in 3-4 years time...

He won't drop past 20, no doubt about that.

I'd rate him a bit higher, but I'd love to see the Caps have a chance at him. He is hit or miss, but if you hit, he'll be a solid performer for a team for 10-15 years to come. Providing the foundation for any blueline.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
A good skater? I saw him a few times this season and he looked *awful* out there. He plays a decently smart game, but people are making far too much of him based on his size - he could easily become another Chris McAllister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad