Speculation: Borgstrom viewing his options, signs with HIFK (Finnish league), contract includes NHL out-clause

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
What an expanded playoff might look like:

View attachment 346257

Not a bad bracket to be in. Would not be shocked if we could make it past Carolina and Washington.

It will be tough to see any scenario where there are bye's incorporated. After being off the ice for so long, I don't see how it would be fair some teams to continue to sit around while other teams play meaningful games and then expect to jump right in against them.

I think it's way more likely that they separate the divisions and there's some sort of divisional playoffs prior to getting into a bracket type set-up.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Reminder to everyone that since the Athletic is behind a paywall, we can't directly copy large parts of their articles here, in text form nor as a screenshot. You can summarize important bits in your own wording (for example GR's comments on potential trades/other moves, DT's comments to GR, etc.), but you can't transcribe the whole thing.

6) Streams/Copyrighted Material/Illegal Topics:
Do not post any of the following:
• Links to or requests for links to illegal streams
• Discussions of illegal streaming services or proxies
• Large portions of ANY article. The reader must have incentive to visit the source.
• Excerpts from any publication without providing editorial commentary
• Discussions of piracy techniques

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
This was a couple days ago from Friedman's 31 thoughts, but hasn't been posted here yet. The bolded part is interesting, guess he's expecting to come play with the big club after AHL season has been cancelled. I also don't remember him being injured...?

2. There’ve been some reports that Florida’s 2016 first-rounder, Henrik Borgstrom, will be going to Europe instead of staying in North America. Here is the response from Borgstrom’s agent, Markus Lehto: “Naturally, there are numerous top teams in all the best Euro leagues that definitely would like to have him. The NHL season may still continue and if that happens, Henrik is looking forward to helping the Panthers to win games. That is obviously if he is given the permission to play after his March injury. He is training hard in Helsinki with few other NHLers. Too early to discuss next season. Obviously the NHL is top priority.”

Reactions: harv33173

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
This was a couple days ago from Friedman's 31 thoughts, but hasn't been posted here yet. The bolded part is interesting, guess he's expecting to come play with the big club after AHL season has been cancelled. I also don't remember him being injured...?
I saw. Seems less bullish than Tallon's statement.

I think he'll be up on the practice squad at least. I guess our roster will be:

HBD
H-H-Vat
Connolly-Wally-Saarela?
Pysyk-Acciari-Sceviour

Tippett, Borgstrom, Toni
(Maybe call Denisenko over to practice?)

With Boyle' autoimmune disorder, he shouldn't come back. I think Tippett might make it onto the 3rd line? Toni might rotate with Pysyk?

Ek-Weegs
Stral-Still
Yandle-Brown

Matheson, Priskie?

Dreidger
Bob
Monty?

I could see Borg making it onto the 3rd line as well perhaps, depending on Tippett's health. If Tippett and Borg come ready, the scoring depth should be nice.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

HBD
H-H-Vat
Connolly-Wally-Saarela?
Pysyk-Acciari-Sceviour

Tippett, Borgstrom, Toni

With Boyle' autoimmune disorder, he shouldn't come back. I think Tippett might make it onto the 3rd line? Toni might rotate with Pysyk?

Ek-Weegs
Stral-Still
Yandle-Brown

Matheson, Priskie?

Dreidger
Bob
Monty?

I could see Borg making it onto the 3rd line as well perhaps, depending on Tippett's health. If Tippett and Borg come ready, the scoring depth should be nice.
With unlimited spots, I could see Hepo, Keeper, and Eetu being called up for the experience...

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

HBD
H-H-Vat
Connolly-Wally-Saarela?
Pysyk-Acciari-Sceviour

Tippett, Borgstrom, Toni

Ek-Weegs
Stral-Still
Yandle-Brown

Matheson, Priskie?

Dreidger
Bob
Monty?

I never caught this, what happened with Boyle?

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Still remember how people were saying he would walk into the NHL and dominate straight out of college. He never should have started in the NHL, rather in the AHL for a year or two. Wish we would have traded him when he still had some value to him. Seems to me Borg doesn't quite have the mindset and willpower to make it in the big league. Mismanaged and bad mental strength in a bad combo.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don’t see why everyone is freaking out? Would we rather him just not play instead of get games in? Relax lol
The way I interpret the out clause is that he’s not coming back to the AHL. On the flip side I’d like to hear if he talked with Zito beforehand...like Saarela did

Reactions: RainingRats

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don’t see why everyone is freaking out? Would we rather him just not play instead of get games in? Relax lol
Bc it’s NHL or bust for him which doesn’t necessarily work for us. Also hurts his trade value. It’s clear he’s posturing for an NHL spot and if he doesn’t get it we’ve blown a first round round pick.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Bc it’s NHL or bust for him which doesn’t necessarily work for us. Also hurts his trade value. It’s clear he’s posturing for an NHL spot and if he doesn’t get it we’ve blown a first round round pick.
Can Deni play on the left side? If so we should trade Borg for Pulju and keep Deni in the AHL

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't see the.reason to panic, Borg is doing the same exact thing as Luostarinen and Saarela. The ahl isn't going to start up for a long time anyway. Nobody even knows when the nhl starts up again. It's good that Borg will be playing hockey.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Only this board will freak out that he’s actually playing hockey and in a good league. He’s not a bust. Just taking longer to develope.

Reactions: Anantika

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Only this board will freak out that he’s actually playing hockey and in a good league. He’s not a bust. Just taking longer to develope.

Yeah, even if he does come back here for training camp and he we cut him, what then? The ahl might not even be started back up yet by then. It's good that he's at least playing somewhere right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->