Speculation: Borgstrom viewing his options, signs with HIFK (Finnish league), contract includes NHL out-clause

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Translated for English

Henrik Borgström, one of the Finnish NHL promises, is close to transferring to the Jokers, according to the information on Overtime. The parties are negotiating a one-year agreement.

The Helsinki-born breeder of the Jokers would be the central striker needed by the KHL club line-up. In the player list announced so far, only John Normans and Jordan Schroeder are sure to be the central strikers.

Borgström’s, 22, contract with the Florida Panthers expires this season. He has played a total of 58 matches in the NHL in three seasons, scoring 9 + 10 = 19. He already seemed to be in a good position in the NHL last season, but this season there have been only four matches in the Panthers and no power points have been raised. Borgström is Florida’s first-round booking for 2016. He was booked in 23rd place throughout the booking session.

Borgström's contractual situation is puzzling. The Panthers contract is still in effect, even though the NHL season is on hiatus due to the interest rate crisis, and there are no guarantees that it will be played out. Almost the entire season has passed in the AHL, and he was not on the NHL side when the season was interrupted either. But if the Panthers season continues, an NHL call would naturally be possible.

It is likely that Borgström will not sign the Jokerit deal, at least until the fate and timing of the NHL season continues.

According to the overtime information, Borgström has been dissatisfied with his position in the Panthers organization. He has played 49 matches in the AHL at Springfield Thunderbirds this season with power points of 11 + 12 = 23. He is a solid skill center striker with a big player profile.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Didn't he train with Barkov this past off-season? That was to help his defensive strength and the coach/GM of T-Birds say he was matched again oppositions top lines, hence the drop off in offense.

This year would be his best chance to crack the lineup as a C with Trocheck gone and the uncertainty of Haula re-signing. Wallmark seems to be a 3/4 C.

Still feel he could be transferred to a winger and be a mid 6 guy. Had high hopes for him, still have some hope but it'd be silly for him to quit on making the NHL this upcoming year whether here or some other NHL franchise.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
It's for 2020-21, and Borgström is a pending RFA.

Good riddance is my first thought, he's not happy with his role? How about f***ing play better and earn a spot with the big club?

I couldn't agree more

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Didn't he train with Barkov this past off-season? That was to help his defensive strength and the coach/GM of T-Birds say he was matched again oppositions top lines, hence the drop off in offense.

This year would be his best chance to crack the lineup as a C with Trocheck gone and the uncertainty of Haula re-signing. Walmark seems to be a 3/4 C.

Still feel he could be transferred to a winger and be a mid 6 guy. Had high hopes for him, still have some hope but it'd be silly for him to quit on making the NHL this upcoming year whether here or some other NHL franchise.

If I remember right they did not train together eventho Dale told him to join Barkov.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
both... the kids extremely talented. But he isn't a bottom 6 talent. The kid should have made it by now... the fact they are willing to not sign the kid is odd.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
We need to draft some centers. Our depth is very bad.
hey look this kid was a center and dominated college.. why is he not for us. whats going on here. The minute we traded tro he should have been called up and handed the damn keys. If he failed we would be right where we are now. If he did well then boom things are looking up.. This org doesnt know how to develop.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
hey look this kid was a center and dominated college.. why is he not for us. whats going on here. The minute we traded tro he should have been called up and handed the damn keys. If he failed we would be right where we are now. If he did well then boom things are looking up.. This org doesnt know how to develop.
Yeah I agree with that 100%.
But the situation still remains that we should draft a lot of centers.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The center depth turned from a strength to absolute dog shit in about a year.

Feel like the team has messed up on this guy's development, wouldn't be a surprise tbh. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong with this team.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If I remember right they did not train together eventho Dale told him to join Barkov.

Didn't hear about that, a bit disappointed if he didn't. Could have learned a lot about building up some strength and how to play on both sides of the puck.

I'll wait to hear further confirmation by a Panthers source to fully believe it. C depth isn't outstanding but maybe that's why they got Luostarinen in the Trocheck deal? To replace him if he does bolt to Euro leagues.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don’t really like this at all but maybe a year in the KHL is what he needs to get his mojo back. Our AHL team is terrible from top to bottom though.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
So what was with all those comments at the end of the season (or whatever you want to call it) about all the progress he's been making? Don't just look at the numbers I was told, he's been getting a lot better overall game they said, he'll be ready for next season... Was that all BS?

If this is true, and his development to date has not been promising, then he's a huge bust considering all the hype. I've always thought there's too much focus on his raw skill and not enough on his fundamentals, skating, and strength.

Really really hope this isn't true.

Also... This makes me want to trade hepo even more. Same concerns there.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I mean wasn’t his name written in the 3C spot with pen in training camp/start of season? Jugger and Canner were already gone. Hate to say it but he didn’t seize the opportunity. I was pulling for the kid and followed his college play. I think he has talent but not taking the 3rd center role and running with it when it was basically handed to him was a huge red flag. I’m not sure how he can be mad at the organization when your lane was practically clear but you failed to take it.

He was a non-factor out there albeit a small sample size. You know that doesn’t sit well with Q. I mean we bag on Math all the time but at least the kid is trying, he’s just plain dumb sometimes. I’m bummed because he seemed to have the tools. But he’s a soft player and we do need to beef up as it is so oh well. A small nitpick of mine was seeing him on the bench, he always looked checked out.

-ghoste

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

The problem is he was already given the keys in the off season. We could/should have signed an experienced vet for the 3C. He lost his key privileges, and failed to earn then back with his play in theAHL.

I know there’s all that stuff about him allegedly being asked to play tough minutes and work on his defence, but to paraphrase coach Q even defensive forwards are allowed to score.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Remember when we just couldn’t trade him because, ya know, 1st round promising prospect. And I’ll admit he looked awesome in college. But this is why you shouldn’t be afraid of trading prospects from time to time. Go with proven talent when you can. People bank on the promise of the unknown way too often with prospects. I also hope hepo pans out but the cards are stacked against him. A small undersized, low weight finesse passing winger who isn’t exactly a goal scorer? Not sure about that one but here’s to hoping

right now I would not like him as the 2nd line center. And he’s not the greatest choose for a bottom 6 role, but could still work on the 3rd. I’d just prefer other options for that spot if possible.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I mean wasn’t his name written in the 3C spot with pen in training camp/start of season? Jugger and Canner were already gone. Hate to say it but he didn’t seize the opportunity. I was pulling for the kid and followed his college play. I think he has talent but not taking the 3rd center role and running with it when it was basically handed to him was a huge red flag. I’m not sure how he can be mad at the organization when your lane was practically clear but you failed to take it.

He was a non-factor out there albeit a small sample size. You know that doesn’t sit well with Q. I mean we bag on Math all the time but at least the kid is trying, he’s just plain dumb sometimes. I’m bummed because he seemed to have the tools. But he’s a soft player and we do need to beef up as it is so oh well. A small nitpick of mine was seeing him on the bench, he always looked checked out.

-ghoste

Wasn't this the player talking wouldn't include to get us mark stone.... Us failing to aquire Mark stone is in my opinion a huge loss

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad