Waived: Booth placed on waivers EDIT: Recalled

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
He skated hard, I'll give him that. Doubt he gets claimed. More non prospects for Grand Rapids.
Does this mean turgeon is staying or is this to make room for hicketts? Is Daley on IR?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
He skated hard, I'll give him that. Doubt he gets claimed. More non prospects for Grand Rapids.
Does this mean turgeon is staying or is this to make room for hicketts? Is Daley on IR?
From what I've been hearing its just a standard routine waiver for Booth so he can clear and just stay with the team. Sounds like a money thing

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I hope someone picks Booth up and gives him a chance, he skated hard and looked decent the few times we got to see him. I think he definitely has penalty of NHL hockey left in the tank.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
From what I've been hearing its just a standard routine waiver for Booth so he can clear and just stay with the team. Sounds like a money thing
Wings will need to clear salary once Glendening comes off of LTIR, My guess is if Booth clears he would be sent to Grand Rapids and Turgeon will be sent down as well. To clear enough space to bring back Glendening.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No it probably has to do when Glendening gets off LTIR shortly, Booth would need to go to GR probably along with Turgeon to open enough space to bring Glendening back.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Ansar Khan's tweet seems to point to flexibility given all the injuries.

It sounds like it has more to do with Glendening possibly returning tomorrow. If he comes off LTIR, they're now over the salary cap and the roster limit (unless they put Abdelkader on IR retro to when he got injured). I'm assuming they want the flexibility to keep Hicketts up if Daley is still out (or possibly Turgeon with Abdelkader/Helm still out) after Glendening comes off LTIR. IR won't help them open salary to keep them up like demoting Booth will. I'm also thinking Turgeon probably goes back down when Glendening returns.

I would assume if Booth goes down, they'd call him back up as soon as everything is worked out injury wise.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Or we just don't take Glendening off LTIR. Win/win.
Glenny who has more goals than Booth, Bertuzzi, Witkowski and Turgeon combined? Who has as many goals as Larkin and more than Z? Leaving that Glenny on LTIR is win/win?

Huh.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Glenny who has more goals than Booth, Bertuzzi, Witkowski and Turgeon combined? Who has as many goals as Larkin and more than Z? Leaving that Glenny on LTIR is win/win?

Huh.
Shhh. Don’t disrupt the narrative around here that Glendening is a terrible player.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
No it probably has to do when Glendening gets off LTIR shortly, Booth would need to go to GR probably along with Turgeon to open enough space to bring Glendening back.

Looking at cap hits, this makes the most sense now. Didn't realize Hicketts (and Turgeon) were only in the $600k range.

Sounds like they want to make sure they have 7 healthy dmen not named Luke Witkowski available until Daley is 100%. If Glendening comes off LTIR, the only way they can keep Hicketts up to cover Daleys injury is if they send Booth and Turgeon down.

This should also help answer the question of Booths "marketability" at the trade deadline. If every GM passes on grabbing him for free on waivers tomorrow, I doubt they'll come around offering anything more than a conditional 7th rounder in 5 short weeks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Huh.

Yes, he of the aberrational shooting percentage is better for us on LTIR. We can make better use of his cap space and his roster spot moving other guys in and out of the lineup, up and down from GR, to give them longer/better looks than they would otherwise get without having to put someone else on LTIR to open up that space.

Glendening is a fourth line forward, an alright one, usually. But nothing special. Turgeon might not end up being anything different, I doubt he does anyway, but I'd still rather give him a look the rest of the year than watch Glendening.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Yes, he of the aberrational shooting percentage is better for us on LTIR. We can make better use of his cap space and his roster spot moving other guys in and out of the lineup, up and down from GR, to give them longer/better looks than they would otherwise get without having to put someone else on LTIR to open up that space.

Glendening is a fourth line forward, an alright one, usually. But nothing special. Turgeon might not end up being anything different, I doubt he does anyway, but I'd still rather give him a look the rest of the year than watch Glendening.
Are we talking about the same guy that shuts Sid down? And had Tampa have to hurt him too get him out of a series? That guy?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Are we talking about the same guy that shuts Sid down?
Not sure his selective effectiveness at shutting specific stars down is particularly noteworthy, if that is even a regular occurence.

And had Tampa have to hurt him too get him out of a series? That guy?
Is this the narrative that is still being bandied about? He got hurt in a series where he seemed to be doing a great job of shutting down Tampa's top guys. The very next year he wasn't nearly as effective and we weren't competitive. So perhaps we shouldn't take one series and treat it like it is the norm for this guy?

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not sure his selective effectiveness at shutting specific stars down is particularly noteworthy, if that is even a regular occurence.

Is this the narrative that is still being bandied about? He got hurt in a series where he seemed to be doing a great job of shutting down Tampa's top guys. The very next year he wasn't nearly as effective and we weren't competitive. So perhaps we shouldn't take one series and treat it like it is the norm for this guy?

It reminds me of the story surrounding Miller and his PK abilities. These fourth line guys who are nothing special get tagged with these abilities and roles and it takes a life of its own. I can't believe anyone has actually missed Glendening the past month unless he brings donuts on Friday or something and he isn't doing it while he's injured.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I kind of wish that he gets claimed, because it would allow more salary cap room for Turgeon / Hicketts to get an extended viewing.

As for Glendening, he leads in the FOW% category, is actually a valuable PKer (most blocked shots for FW) and he has the 4th highest shot % on the team (somehow), he's still valuable. He's more versatile than Miller, for sure.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Turgeon needs to vastly improve his faceoff technique before sticking for the rest of the year. Glennie's nothing special, except he's the only player we have that is actually capable of winning faceoffs with any kind of frequency.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
TURGEON RECALLED, BOOTH ASSIGNED

01/24/2018 12:00 PM
214e29ba519dcca6c0be1267b8cb22dc.500.jpg
(L-R): Booth, Turgeon
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday recalled center Dominic Turgeon from the Grand Rapids Griffins and assigned forward David Booth to the Griffins.

Turgeon, 21, appeared in four games with the Red Wings during his first stint in the NHL and averaged 9:36 of ice time while tallying two shots and two penalty minutes. He became the 167th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL when he made his debut with Detroit on Jan. 14 at Chicago.

A 6-foot-3, 203-pound center, Turgeon places sixth on the Griffins with 23 points (9-14—23) in 40 games this season to go along with a plus-eight rating and 16 PIM. He has already exceeded last year’s rookie mark of 18 points (6-12—18) in 71 contests.

Detroit’s second choice, 63rd overall, of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Turgeon helped Grand Rapids win the 2017 Calder Cup in his first year as a professional. He appeared in all 19 postseason games and contributed two points.

Born in Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Turgeon spent four full campaigns with the Portland Winterhawks in the Western Hockey League prior to turning pro. He accumulated 152 points (67-85—152) in 259 regular season games from 2011-16 before posting 18 points (10-8—18) in 45 career playoff games. He helped Portland win the league championship in 2012-13, his first season with the team. Captaining the Winterhawks in 2015-16, Turgeon led the team with career-high totals in goals (36) and points (70) in 72 appearances.

Dominic is the son of former NHL player and current Los Angeles Kings assistant coach Pierre Turgeon, who registered 1,327 points (515-812—1,327) in 1,294 career games with six different teams spanning 19 seasons (1987-2007).

Signed to a one-year contract by Detroit in October, Booth has skated in 19 games with the Red Wings this season, recording five points (4-1—5) and six PIM. A native of Detroit, the 33-year-old is in his first season back in the NHL after spending the previous two in the Kontinental Hockey League. He tallied 25 points (10-15—25) and 46 PIM in 42 games between Admiral Vladivostok and Avangard Omsk.

A second-round selection, 53rd overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft by the Florida Panthers, Booth has skated in 521 career NHL games between Florida (2006-12), Vancouver (2011-14), Toronto (2014-15) and Detroit, and accumulated 236 points (124-112—236) and 212 PIM. The 6-foot, 212-pound winger has three 20-goal seasons and posted career highs in goals (31), assists (29) and points (60) in 2008-09.

Booth last played in the AHL during the 2014-15 campaign with the Toronto Marlies and scored a goal in two appearances. In 30 career AHL games between the Rochester Americans (2006-07), Utica Comets (2013-14) and Toronto, Booth has logged 16 points (8-8—16) and 28 PIM.

He played collegiate hockey at Michigan State University, scoring 105 points (45-60—105) in 134 games for the Spartans from 2002-06.

Booth has represented Team USA on three occasions, most recently at the 2008 IIHF World Championship. He also won a gold medal at the 2004 IIHF World Junior Championship and the 2002 IIHF World Under-18 Championship.

Detroit hosts the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday at 7:30 p.m.

The Griffins host the Rockford IceHogs on Saturday at 7 p.m. before the AHL all-star break.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
For Booth, this could be a "paper" transaction than an actual sent down to Grand Rapids if the Griffins make the playoffs this season. He will replace Bertuzzi on the Griffins playoff roster. That would be my guess to these "transactions" this week.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
For Booth, this could be a "paper" transaction than an actual sent down to Grand Rapids if the Griffins make the playoffs this season. He will replace Bertuzzi on the Griffins playoff roster. That would be my guess to these "transactions" this week.
Makes sense.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Pretty much my thinking as well, Seeing that the guys have the next 5 days off for the All Star Break by sending Turgeon down that gives him a game or two with GR then just sitting gives him a few games as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->