Boondock's Top 14 Shake-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
After reading mock after mock that look basically the same, I've redone my top 14. I decided to make some risky picks in the hopes of livening up some of the debates around here.

#1 - WAS - Alex Ovechkin

I said I was making some risky picks.... I didn't say I was an idiot. No question here....

#2 - PIT - Evgeni Malkin

Pittsburgh takes the concensus #2 talent out of this draft pool. 2nd easiest decision made all day....

#3 - CHI - Alex Radulov

Pulford decides that his upside is too much to pass up on, and reunites him with brother, Igor. His U-18 performance might have a bigger influence on his draft stock than anyone here imagined.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040417/nhl_draft-mck.html (read the very bottom)

#4 - COL - A.J. Thelen

MacLean looks long and hard at both Barker and Thelen, and decides on Thelen after his dominant year in the NCAA.

#5 - PHO - Andrew Ladd

The Coyotes look at Ladd and Tukonen and decide that while Tukonen may be the better two-way player, Ladd's potential as a high-scoring power forward tips the scales in his favor.

#6 - NYR - Robbie Schremp

The Rangers take a close look at both Schremp and Barker, but decide that they can find a potential top-pairing d-man with their other first or one of their multitude of seconds. A potential franchise center like Schremp, however, will be long gone by their other picks.

#7 - FLA - Rotislav Olesz

Feeling that they are set on defense and in goal for years to come, the Panthers snap up Olesz. Dudley goes to sleep dreaming of Olesz, Horton and Stewart terrorizing on the forecheck for years to come.

#8 - CAR - Cam Barker

Incredulous that Cam slipped to them, Rutherford wastes no time making his way to the mic to announce that Cam Barker would be making the move to Raleigh.

#9 - ANA - Wes O'Neill

With Getzlaf, Perry, Lupul, Chistov, etc. up front and JSG, Gerber and Bryzgalov in goal, the Ducks take the best available defenseman with their pick. O'Neill has been inconsistent, but still has the potential to be the big, two-way d-man that every team seems to need.

#10 - ATL - Drew Stafford

Waddell feels that Stafford's strong two-way game will complement Kovalchuk and Heatley nicely. Atlanta was hoping for a d-man here, but just missed O'Neill. Stafford's strength down low could open up all kinds of room for Kovalchuk.

#11 - LA - Cory Schneider

Taylor shocks the hockey world by making Schneider the first goalie selected in the first round. Although Schneider is rough around the edges and has only played high school hockey, Taylor feels that Schneider holds higher top-end potential than some of the other goalies available.

#12 - MIN - Kyle Chipchura

Since Burns moved back to defense, the Wild have felt that they still need some help up front. Chipchura will fit into Lemaire's system, perhaps as soon as next year. The Wild's emphasis on team speed and defensive responsibility make Kyle a good fit.

#13 - BUF - Lauri Tukonen

Buffalo gets Tukonen, who they had much higher on their draft list. Regier feels that Tukonen will one day patrol the wings with Vanek, doing a lot of the dirty work.

#14 - EDM - Sergei Ogorodnikov

In typical Edmonton fashion, Lowe gets a highly-skilled forward with some question marks. Ogorodnikov is fast and highly-skilled. However, he is also small and defensively inept. Lowe feels that Ogorodnikov could be the high-end scorer that the Oilers have been after for so long.

I stepped out on some limbs, but there are always some big surprises on draft day... Who knows??? I might get one of them right.....

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I realize this is a shake up and yet I feel that there's little to no chance that Tukonen and Olesz fall that far. The rest is not all that far fetched based on how many surprises I see at the draft every year.

thestonedkoala

I dont think Barker will fall that low, personally...

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
ya i gotta say a lil shocked but FINALLY a mock that goes on a limb and takes a chance. So tired of the same 14 and a few differences among the bottom 16. Not sure that Barker, Olesz and Tukonen fall that far but i like it (Schremp :yo: )

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I realize this is a shake up and yet I feel that there's little to no chance that Tukonen and Olesz fall that far. The rest is not all that far fetched based on how many surprises I see at the draft every year.

Ya, I know, it's very doubtful... but in order to fit Thelen and Radulov that high, someone had to get bumped... glad to see most took it with a grain of salt and didn't come out flaming... :handclap:

I'd like to see a couple other guys do a top 14 or first round like this where they step out on a limb and make some risky picks....

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Kick Save said:
Please, oh please, Bryan Murray, if Tukonen and/or Stafford are available, do NOT take Wes O'Neill!

Amen, brother. Well, except for the Stafford part. O'Neill has a better chance of making a bigger impact IMO, and I'm not sold on Stafford. Anyway, I'd want BM to offer up alot to move up and take Barker if he fell to #8.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
ducksflytogether said:
Amen, brother. Well, except for the Stafford part. O'Neill has a better chance of making a bigger impact IMO, and I'm not sold on Stafford. Anyway, I'd want BM to offer up alot to move up and take Barker if he fell to #8.

Amen to you bro! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad