OT: Books

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I can't do audio books because I don't read pages from beginning to end. I skip around all over and piece things together as I go. I thought I was alone in doing this and that I was some kind of weirdo until I listened to the Rogan podcast with Naval Ravikant.
I can't do podcasts. I wait for the transcript and just skip around all over the place and piece things together.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'm a voracious reader, with usually several books on the go at any time. Right now, I'm just finishing 'Les Miserables', about half way through a Lovecraft set of short horror stories, a Wodehouse comedy, Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything', 'Crossroad - the Robert Johnson Story', and starting 'RCHA - Right of the Line', which is a history of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, my father's regiment.

For sports books, 'The Game' is great, and so was 'Ball Four'. My favourite is 'Open Ice - the Tim Horton Story'. I got the Bobby Orr book for Christmas last year, and haven't started it yet.
How's the Robert Johnson book?

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
If anyone's into audiobooks and history, 'Endurance', which is about Ernest Schackleton's attempt to get to the South pole in 1914, is one of the greatest survival stories and audio books I've ever listened to, and I go through about one a week.
Also, Heroin diaries by Nicky Sixx from Motley Crue is outstanding. Not really into their music, it's just a great listen.
Takes me an hour to get to/from work. Audio books are perfect for this.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
a Wodehouse comedy
Awesome, and a LI connection to boot (he lived on the East End the last half of his life). I'm about halfway through the Jeeves series. Cracks me up, and he's a really good writer. I'll start on the Blandings series when I finish Jeeves.

I never read the Narnia series so have been doing that recently and am on the 2nd to last book now. I'll probably read The Count of Monte Cristo next (another classic I've never read). A few of my all-time favs are LOTR (duh), The Secret of Santa Vittoria (60s movie I've never seen but a book I've read a few times), and A Soldier of the Great War (Mark Helprin, my favorite living author - not to be confused with the columnist Mark Helperin).

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Finished We Want Fish Sticks a couple weeks ago. Good read. I forgot how much of an absolute piece of **** Milbury was/is.

Now reading Why We Don’t Suck by Denis Leary. Also good. You should read Why We Suck first, though.

Mustache Shenanigans is up next.

"We want Fishsticks" was a good quick read - but a brutal reminder of how bad Maloney & Milbury were, the Rangers winning the Cup in '94, knocking us out of the playoffs that year, the reactionary changing of the logo to jump on the trend of "new" 90's unis with teams like the Ducks, trading Turgeon and Hogue, the pain of the Kirk Muller saga, Ray Ferraro leaving, the hits went on and on.

Reactions: sabremike

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
"We want Fishsticks" was a good quick read - but a brutal reminder of how bad Maloney & Milbury were, the Rangers winning the Cup in '94, knocking us out of the playoffs that year, the reactionary changing of the logo to jump on the trend of "new" 90's unis with teams like the Ducks, trading Turgeon and Hogue, the pain of the Kirk Muller saga, Ray Ferraro leaving, the hits went on and on.
It was cringeworthy. I had put most of that stuff out of my mind, as any sane person should. There was a lot of “oh yeah, I remember that. Ugh”

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Healy leaving. And winning the cup with the Rangers.. Kasparaitis getting traded...

Reactions: Beacon Isles

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
How's the Robert Johnson book?
Good. Short, but well researched and written.

I have the Columbia two CD set "The Complete Recordings" that I bought when it came out in 1990. There's a long bio and essay by Stephen LaVere in it, and there are a couple of 'differences of opinion' between the two authors (addressed in the book), and a bit of new information unearthed in the last 30 years.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Awesome, and a LI connection to boot (he lived on the East End the last half of his life). I'm about halfway through the Jeeves series. Cracks me up, and he's a really good writer. I'll start on the Blandings series when I finish Jeeves.

I never read the Narnia series so have been doing that recently and am on the 2nd to last book now. I'll probably read The Count of Monte Cristo next (another classic I've never read). A few of my all-time favs are LOTR (duh), The Secret of Santa Vittoria (60s movie I've never seen but a book I've read a few times), and A Soldier of the Great War (Mark Helprin, my favorite living author - not to be confused with the columnist Mark Helperin).
Have you read Lewis' 'The Screwtape Letters'?

I've usually got a 'classic' on the go. Read Monte Cristo years ago. Last year I read 'The Scarlet Pimpernel', and 'The Lion of the North' is next on the list.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Have you read Lewis' 'The Screwtape Letters'?

I've usually got a 'classic' on the go. Read Monte Cristo years ago. Last year I read 'The Scarlet Pimpernel', and 'The Lion of the North' is next on the list.
Yes to the bolded. Great book. Lewis was so smart. To think he was buddies with Tolkien and they used to go out for dinner and beers together - talk about wanting to be a fly on the wall....
I have not read the other 3 books you mentioned.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes to the bolded. Great book. Lewis was so smart. To think he was buddies with Tolkien and they used to go out for dinner and beers together - talk about wanting to be a fly on the wall....
I have not read the other 3 books you mentioned.
Lewis was a brilliant writer, but I think a bit too preachy for many people. The Narnia stories are one example of the movies being better than the books (to a lot of people), because they skip some of that.

On the other hand, watching the LOTR movies, I'm regularly noticing what is left out.

Have you read Lewis' space trilogy: 'Out of the Silent Planet', 'Perelandria', and 'That Hideous Strength'?

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Have you read Lewis' space trilogy: 'Out of the Silent Planet', 'Perelandria', and 'That Hideous Strength'?
No, not yet anyway. One of these days I'll have time enough to read everything I want to read.

MV5BM2I2MmUyNGItYzM4Zi00ODFkLTk2MjctMWJjZGVhOTZjNzE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_SY264_CR122,0,178,264_AL_.jpg

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad