OT: Books

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Anyone else here read?

I just started reading Ken Dryden's The Game. Wow. Can't believe it has taken me this long to get it. I'm about a third of the way in and it is nothing short of an incredible read. Just fascinating. He has high praise for Bob Gainey that reminded me a little of our own Josh Bailey.

"If there is such a thing as a 'player's player,' it would be Gainey. A phrase often heard and rarely explained, it is seldom applied to the best player of a sport, as Gainey is not, for performance is only a part of it. Instead, the phrase is for someone who has the personal and playing qualities that others wish they had, basic, unalterable qualities - dependability, discipline, hard work, courage - the roots of every team. To them, Gainey adds a timely, insistent passion, an enormous will to win, and a powerful, punishing playing style, secure and manly, without the strut of machismo. While other players, in their roles, constantly battle between the tension between team and self … simply put, what is good for Bob Gainey is good for the team; and vice versa. In many ways he is like former basketball star Bill Bradley. Without virtuoso individual skills, team play becomes both a virtue and necessity, and what others understand as unselfishness is really cold-eyed realism—he simply knows that works best, for the team and for him.

If I could be a forward, I would want to be Gainey."

Love his writing style. Anyone else read this or any other good books lately?

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Anyone else here read?

I just started reading Ken Dryden's The Game. Wow. Can't believe it has taken me this long to get it. I'm about a third of the way in and it is nothing short of an incredible read. Just fascinating. He has high praise for Bob Gainey that reminded me a little of our own Josh Bailey.

"If there is such a thing as a 'player's player,' it would be Gainey. A phrase often heard and rarely explained, it is seldom applied to the best player of a sport, as Gainey is not, for performance is only a part of it. Instead, the phrase is for someone who has the personal and playing qualities that others wish they had, basic, unalterable qualities - dependability, discipline, hard work, courage - the roots of every team. To them, Gainey adds a timely, insistent passion, an enormous will to win, and a powerful, punishing playing style, secure and manly, without the strut of machismo. While other players, in their roles, constantly battle between the tension between team and self … simply put, what is good for Bob Gainey is good for the team; and vice versa. In many ways he is like former basketball star Bill Bradley. Without virtuoso individual skills, team play becomes both a virtue and necessity, and what others understand as unselfishness is really cold-eyed realism—he simply knows that works best, for the team and for him.

The last great book I read was Ready Player One... plowed through it in two days right before the movie came out. For anybody who lived through the 80's it's an absolute blast.

Book was excellent / movie was pretty mediocre in comparison.

Reactions: mm11

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Anyone else here read?

Im just about wrapping up some book now. Ill check this out next. I like a good hockey book. Thanks for the tip.

That and perhaps the irishman book. I hear its fascinating...as opposed to the movie which certainly wasnt.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Finished We Want Fish Sticks a couple weeks ago. Good read. I forgot how much of an absolute piece of shit Milbury was/is.

Now reading Why We Don’t Suck by Denis Leary. Also good. You should read Why We Suck first, though.

Mustache Shenanigans is up next.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The last great book I read was Ready Player One... plowed through it in two days right before the movie came out. For anybody who lived through the 80's it's an absolute blast.

Book was excellent / movie was pretty mediocre in comparison.

I agree, I read through ready player one in 2 days as well. Could not put it down

Reactions: Riseonfire

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The Gold Coast by Nelson Demille had me cracking up. Great story about the history of the North Shore of LI inside this hilarious read.... The wasps were invaded by the MOB.....Just a hint if anyone was curios

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I read weird fantasy/space fantasy crap.

The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is a masterpiece.

Love the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown even if it is an 'easy read'.

Would have suggested A Song of Ice and Fire 8 or 10 years ago.... f*** all that now unless GRRM actually finishes.

Currently reading Edward Snowden's newest book.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Anyone else here read?

Read The Game many years ago and have the book still. I tend to read a lot. Lately it's been Sandy Koufax by Jane Leavy. Revolves around his last perfect game and his biography. Lots of interesting things about who he grew up with. I have a pretty eclectic collection of tastes, from the Clancy/Flynn genre through history (Victor David Hanson) and one book I highly recommend is An Empire of Wealth, which is the best economic history of the U.S. I've ever read. Of course, I encourage everyone here to follow the website Florida Lacrosse News too!

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Reading David Baldacci’s “Divine Justice”. Picked up the first book at the airport and now I’m reading the whole series. Not too bad. Easy read.

Up next for me is “Prisoners of Geography”.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I read way less than I ought to. I do most of my reading on the internet and most of it is psychological papers, history and socio/politico/economic theory, because that helps me the most right now in business. I read a lot more when I was younger. I tend to do different things for pleasure now, like video games or listen to music. I guess the last things I've read are (once again) Ulysses by James Joyce, and Viv Albertine's autobiography.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Reading a book called, "All Fisherman Are Liars".

Pretty good read, but only half way through. It's fishing stories (who knew?) but you don't need to be a fisherman to appreciate the wisdom, humour, and downright nasty, unbelievable shit that happens.

Greenlaw, the writer, is pretty good, and the book was on the NYTimes best seller list...

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just finished Goodnight Moon and 123 Ireland for the 792nd time, it was tough at first with some of the vocabulary, but once you start reading between the lines it gets easier.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I can't do audio books because I don't read pages from beginning to end. I skip around all over and piece things together as I go. I thought I was alone in doing this and that I was some kind of weirdo until I listened to the Rogan podcast with Naval Ravikant.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Going to try the audiobook of Shutter Island on the drive the Cape Cod later this month. Never really done audio books. Are the options for the narrator?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Going to try the audiobook of Shutter Island on the drive the Cape Cod later this month. Never really done audio books. Are the options for the narrator?

Usually there is only one but it may depend on the format you're going with (CD, Playaway, or a download). I'm sure some popular books have multiple narrators on various versions, but I wouldn't think Shutter Island would be among those.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm a voracious reader, with usually several books on the go at any time. Right now, I'm just finishing 'Les Miserables', about half way through a Lovecraft set of short horror stories, a Wodehouse comedy, Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything', 'Crossroad - the Robert Johnson Story', and starting 'RCHA - Right of the Line', which is a history of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, my father's regiment.

For sports books, 'The Game' is great, and so was 'Ball Four'. My favourite is 'Open Ice - the Tim Horton Story'. I got the Bobby Orr book for Christmas last year, and haven't started it yet.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Books are an interesting discussion because story is just as important as writing style.

Best nonfiction; Fear and loathing on the campaign trail.
Best fiction; Money by Amis.

As for sports books, one of the best is The wit and wisdom of Yogi Berra...

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh

I use Audible. The audio book is an art form in and of itself bringing so many reads into old time radio type listens or old time story telling. Most are single narrators, but many have 2 or more, sometimes an ensemble. One of my favorite listens is Tales from the Radiation Age by Jason Sheehan....Nick Podehl narrates...he is one of many narrators where i actually will listen to a book or series just because they narrate it. The Help, was an ensemble cast, normally not one i would pick up but i enjoy multiple narrators and this ended up being a fantastic listen, extremely well done. Of course there are some narrators who are not very good at all, so too, there are some i look to avoid.

Shutter Island looks like it has two versions, one shorter than the other ... best to go with the longer narrated by Tom Stechschulte. Not familiar with him but the clip sounded good.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->