• 1710445956073.png
    1710445956073.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 1

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My initial reaction to the parents of Klebold and Harris was not sympathetic.

That has changed, in part,

Her ted talk was good and she's done a few others. I appreciate that she's come out and actually apologized to victims and is trying to do something positive. It takes real guts to put yourself out there the way that she has.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Her ted talk was good and she's done a few others. I appreciate that she's come out and actually apologized to victims and is trying to do something positive. It takes real guts to put yourself out there the way that she has.

I've seen a few interviews. She seems sincere.

Apparently, she was an attentive parent and devastated by her son's actions.

Unimaginable pain, guilt, depression, etc.

Yet she brought light from darkness.

It takes great strength of character to do what she's done.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoccoF14 and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I've seen a few interviews. She seems sincere.

Apparently, she was an attentive parent and devastated by her son's actions.

Unimaginable pain, guilt, depression, etc.

Yet she brought light from the darkness.

It takes great strength of character to do what she's done.
100% agree. Cullen made it a point to say repeatedly that she was very attentive as was his dad.

It is 25 years this year.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
100% agree. Cullen made it a point to say repeatedly that she was very attentive as was his dad.

It is 25 years this year.

I will check the .pdf of Cullen's book.

My understanding is that Harris was a psychopath.

As with the Kip Kinkel case

and the Waltham business, I can be morbidly interested in subjects like this, though not overly so. For the most part, I prefer to focus on good stuff.

Reactions: Alicat

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Just finished reading this. Read it in a day and a half on a flight to the West Coast and back. I like Michael Lewis' work but never got around to reading this one when it came out 5 years ago. Warning.....It IS a little political and is not flattering to the previous administration, but that's not the main intent. This is a fascinating book about the unsung heroes who work for the Federal Government, behind the scenes, to keep our country running on a day to day basis, and keep our nation safe.

Civilian government workers are often unfairly stigmatized for being under-educated and under-qualified hacks who can't cut it in the private sector. This book crushes that myth. I've never heard of any of the folks portrayed in this book and many of them are truly national heroes for the work they do behind the scenes with little fanfare. These are career government officials, who've worked through multiple adminstrations. Their dedication matches anything I've seen from my time in the military.

@Alicat , you'd be interested to know that Kathy Sullivan and Kim Klockow are two people featured. Kathy Sullivan is a bad-ass former Naval Officer and Astronaut who ran the NOAA. Kim Klockow is a psychologist who worked at NOAA and revolutionized how the National Weather Service warns people about approaching tornados, after the Joplin disaster.

1710451355735.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Just finished reading this. Read it in a day and a half on a flight to the West Coast and back. I like Michael Lewis' work but never got around to reading this one when it came out 5 years ago. Warning.....It IS a little political and is not flattering to the previous administration, but that's not the main intent. This is a fascinating book about the unsung heroes who work for the Federal Government, behind the scenes, to keep our country running on a day to day basis, and keep our nation safe.

Civilian government workers are often unfairly stigmatized for being under-educated and under-qualified hacks who can't cut it in the private sector. This book crushes that myth. I've never heard of any of the folks portrayed in this book and many of them are truly national heroes for the work they do behind the scenes with little fanfare. These are career government officials, who've worked through multiple adminstrations. Their dedication matches anything I've seen from my time in the military.

@Alicat , you'd be interested to know that Kathy Sullivan and Kim Klockow are two people featured. Kathy Sullivan is a bad-ass former Naval Officer and Astronaut who ran the NOAA. Kim Klockow is a psychologist who worked at NOAA and revolutionized how the National Weather Service warns people about approaching tornados, after the Joplin disaster.

View attachment 835881
I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

A lot of things changed after Joplin and Moore and thankfully, are still changing for the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad