Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I went through a similar search for new fantasy stuff last year after reading most of the bigger series . Here are some of my recommendations, some are lesser known, some are more well known series that you hadn't listed:

KJ Parker - The Fencer Trilogy
Andrzej Sapowski - The Witcher Series
Marlon James - Black Leopard Red Wolf: This book is not for everyone so maybe look into it first
Alex Marshall - The Crimson Empire Trilogy
Jesse Bullington - The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart: Another one not for everyone .
Guy Gavriel Kay - A Brightness Long Ago
Jeff Vandermeer - The Southern Reach Trilogy
Stephen KinG - The Dark Tower

That's great. I haven't heard of any of these besides the Witcher and Dark Tower. I tried to get into both a few years ago, but neither immediately grabbed me.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That's great. I haven't heard of any of these besides the Witcher and Dark Tower. I tried to get into both a few years ago, but neither immediately grabbed me.
A Brightness Long Ago I read recently and loved it. It's also refreshing to read a single novel in the Fantasy genre. Sometimes the massively long series are just too much :p

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
tendernightcover.jpg

Reactions: Thucydides

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
You'll have to let me know what you think. Obviously, it's not as mind-numbingly YUGE as WoT and some of the similarities are a bit spurious but again, I don't personally care much about all that because I found it to be a good story.

Also, stick with it if things seem a bit confusing initially. There's some time-jumping and some fuzzy memory type plots but if you like it and stick with it it will all be clear by the end.
Just wanted to circle back to this post to thank you. I'm about halfway through the first book and having a really difficult time putting it down. I've been very tired at work the last week or so because I keep saying to myself "just one more chapter" like 3 or 4 times in a row when I should be going to bed.

I could definitely sense the Wheel of Time vibes from the very beginning. I feel the book does a good job of feeding me just enough info to satisfy me while at the same time keeping so many things mysterious and hidden. Definitely scratching the fantasy itch I was having recently and will fill the gap until Stormlight Archives next book comes out next month.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Just wanted to circle back to this post to thank you. I'm about halfway through the first book and having a really difficult time putting it down. I've been very tired at work the last week or so because I keep saying to myself "just one more chapter" like 3 or 4 times in a row when I should be going to bed.

I could definitely sense the Wheel of Time vibes from the very beginning. I feel the book does a good job of feeding me just enough info to satisfy me while at the same time keeping so many things mysterious and hidden. Definitely scratching the fantasy itch I was having recently and will fill the gap until Stormlight Archives next book comes out next month.

That's great! Nothing better than introducing someone to something new they enjoy.

Honestly, the first half of book one was the slowest part I think. If you've flown through that, you're in for a furious finish through 2 and 3. And I agree, it does a very good job of keeping enough hidden that you need to keep going to get answers, there's a pretty big cliffhanger reveal at the end of book 1 that will absolutely hook you in for 2.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

Regarding the Dark Tower, if it was the first book you tried to read and get into ... I totally understand not getting into it. It's a slog of a read. I'd recommend skipping the first book altogether and start with book 2, the rest of the series is fantastic.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Regarding the Dark Tower, if it was the first book you tried to read and get into ... I totally understand not getting into it. It's a slog of a read. I'd recommend skipping the first book altogether and start with book 2, the rest of the series is fantastic.
Its on my list to give another go down the line I think. I started with book 1 and got about a quarter of the way through and just had no interest to keep going. I might try your recommendation when I pick it up again.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Its on my list to give another go down the line I think. I started with book 1 and got about a quarter of the way through and just had no interest to keep going. I might try your recommendation when I pick it up again.

That's an interesting strategy. I would agree that the first book is on the slower side in comparison to the rest of the series, that being said I think there is some valuable character work and world building that is set up in the first book. Maybe try an audiobook or something like that, but I would not skip it all together.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
That's an interesting strategy. I would agree that the first book is on the slower side in comparison to the rest of the series, that being said I think there is some valuable character work and world building that is set up in the first book. Maybe try an audiobook or something like that, but I would not skip it all together.

I don't disagree, it definitely builds Roland and Jake's character and their relationship ... but man, it is not a good book. Probably because it was one of King's earliest works and was published in several parts to a Science Fiction magazine (not to mention it took him something like a decade to finish). If a new reader can finish it, by all means they should do so. However, every person that I've recommended the series to has quit part way through that book and didn't finish the series. That's why I now recommend to people that are interested in the series but turned off by that book to skip it. But again, if a person can stick with it they should do so.

Also, for the love of God, don't watch the movie. Hopefully Amazon changes their mind or someone else picks up the television adaption and does it justice.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't disagree, it definitely builds Roland and Jake's character and their relationship ... but man, it is not a good book. Probably because it was one of King's earliest works and was published in several parts to a Science Fiction magazine (not to mention it took him something like a decade to finish). If a new reader can finish it, by all means they should do so. However, every person that I've recommended the series to has quit part way through that book and didn't finish the series. That's why I now recommend to people that are interested in the series but turned off by that book to skip it. But again, if a person can stick with it they should do so.

Also, for the love of God, don't watch the movie. Hopefully Amazon changes their mind or someone else picks up the television adaption and does it justice.
That is a fair assessment. If Gunslinger is really going to make or break reading the rest of the series, than yeah skip it. Find a summary or something like that for the background it provides!

The movie is brutal definitely skip it at all costs.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
42201398.jpg

Was looking for a good biography of Thomas Edison, which I found (by Edmund Morris). Also noticed this book.

Edison and Henry Ford developed a friendship and they began taking road trips together. Which was a challenge because of the vehicles and road conditions of the era. Were joined by others including Harvey Firestone, John Burroughs (a naturalist) & their families. Interesting read so far with background of the travellers, conditions and the places they visited.

The Vagabonds - The Henry Ford

0x0-3f784884-d30d-6b61-be8b-ff000073bae4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad