3F434EF3-B867-4C2C-ADE5-8A68E9E7BE51.jpeg

Much, much better than “Turn”.

Reactions: halincandenza

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
The-Book-of-Koli-by-M.R-Carey-Review.jpg

Over half way done this first book in a planned trilogy and I’m really enjoying it so far. Seems to be getting pretty good reviews all around.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Unfortunately, I’ve got a feeling that I’m going to be out for a hot minute. Probably going to need back surgery #2 so more books might be needed haha

PM me your address(if you want ) and I'll send you a couple of good ones to help pass the time. :)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just finished The Book Of Koli (highly recommended) and am looking forward to the second and third books in the trilogy. The second one is coming later this month.

In the mean time, I’m reading some good ‘ol Bentley Little.

108570._UY475_SS475_.jpg

Reactions: halincandenza

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I look forward to your comments.

Enjoying it so far, although I can't help but shake the feeling that for an autobiography, Nabokov must have embellished or fictionalized certain descriptions or sentiments for childlike show. Not that it's a bad thing, but I can't possibly believe that memories from being five years old and the subsequent surroundings can be truthfully remembered that vividly or at least, with such confidence and reverence. I'm starting to look at the book as another, more nuanced Nabokov trick where while the large strokes will certainly hold true to the events of his life, he won't have any qualms with amping it up for aesthetical reasons and as a way to recreate a happy childhood (I haven't gone his life as an adult yet). Still, there's a passage where he relates an art for art's sakes moment where a 4 feet tall pencil he has been gifted is filled with real lead. Highly amusing. And like you said in your review, not one page goes by where I'm not looking up a definition twice or thrice. It can be a tad annoying.

Reactions: kihei

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
878442.jpg

A lot of wisdom from someone at one point considered 'the richest man in the world'. Watched All the Money in the World which got me interested in his take of the kidnapping. Business, politics, relationships, a lot of mea culpa in here. His house in England, Sutton Place, where he spent most of his final years may be worthy of a book on it's own (i.e. may be where Henry VIII met Anne Boleyn and the son of the owner was beheaded by Henry). He kept a diary from a young age and uses a lot of quotes from key points in his life. A good read so far.

Reactions: Thucydides

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
878442.jpg

A lot of wisdom from someone at one point considered 'the richest man in the world'. Watched All the Money in the World which got me interested in his take of the kidnapping. Business, politics, relationships, a lot of mea culpa in here. His house in England, Sutton Place, where he spent most of his final years may be worthy of a book on it's own (i.e. may be where Henry VIII met Anne Boleyn and the son of the owner was beheaded by Henry). He kept a diary from a young age and uses a lot of quotes from key points in his life. A good read so far.

Awesome. I'm adding this to my list. A couple of years ago I read Getty's book "How to be rich." If you want more Getty when you finish this - it was a great read.

Reactions: Chili
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad