Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009

Reactions: tealhockey

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo. The other Booker Prize winner this year.

Reactions: GB

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
914Z2snKSPL.jpg

Historical fiction centered around the (Civil War) battle of Chancellorsville.. and the immediate battlefield events preceding it.
I'm 45 pages in, it's a couple days before the battle..

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
91lrUW1wHIL.jpg

History of walls built for communal self-defense.. First chapter goes back to Mesopotamia.. Pretty good so far, relevant history for a current debate..

Reactions: halincandenza

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Please review this one. I read it recently it rocketed up for me. Probably a top-7 favorite book for me.

I quite liked it. I knew the backstory going into it - -hadn’t realized you had read it recently until after I started.

great little book with a big meaning. My favourite parts were with Granny when she caught the gambling bug and spiralled into a bit of madness. Not as heavy as my other experience with Dostoyevsky - the brothers karamazov. I don’t know if I’ll get to another one of his this year but 2020 for sure - what should I read crime and punishment or the idiot ?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I quite liked it. I knew the backstory going into it - -hadn’t realized you had read it recently until after I started.

great little book with a big meaning. My favourite parts were with Granny when she caught the gambling bug and spiralled into a bit of madness. Not as heavy as my other experience with Dostoyevsky - the brothers karamazov. I don’t know if I’ll get to another one of his this year but 2020 for sure - what should I read crime and punishment or the idiot ?

Never read either. Unfortunately, I've not read his bricks.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I haven't read The Idiot, it's on my shelf waiting for some spare time, but Crime & Punishment is excellent and not a particularly long read.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I haven't read The Idiot, it's on my shelf waiting for some spare time, but Crime & Punishment is excellent and not a particularly long read.

Guess like a lot of readers, Crime and Punishment is my favorite Dostoevsky book..
'House of the Dead' is an underrated Dostoevsky read I like a lot (story based on his experience in Siberia).. (peace)

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009

Nice. I think I’d like to read crime and punishment - seeing as how it’s his most known book.

haven’t seen you posting lately. Still reading a ton?

Reactions: GB

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Nice. I think I’d like to read crime and punishment - seeing as how it’s his most known book.

haven’t seen you posting lately. Still reading a ton?

I've just started Lisa Taddeo's Three Women, that'll be book 90 this year.

I've cut my time on HF a lot but I'd be happy to take part in a book club here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad