boo chicago

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Non-stop loud probably wears off. But, fans being engaged by hearing a roar during certain moments of the game is certainly inspiring. It's not just folks screaming, people just get louder during the big moments if they're on the edge of their seat.

That said, yeah, after 2010 it even started to infect the 3rd level where I sat next to STH'ers who would complain about others being too loud...and by too loud you're talking the average hockey fan who was around in the 90's type loud. Haven't been back since 2015, maybe I was the secret sauce?

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I don't think we need people to scream but actually be into the game and understand what's going on.

When games are crazy expensive (StubHub 200 level tickets for $250+ for a mid week game against Arizona) and a team is popular, you are gonna get a lot of people at games who don't understand what's going on. Especially when most people didn't grow up playing hockey like they did football or baseball.

I don't mind fans that aren't die hard or super knowledgable. Remember, everyone had to start somewhere. Case in point - client of mine is from Nigeria. He attendeed a suite event we did. Great OT win against LA about 4 years ago. Never watched a game in his life. Dude got ADDICTED to it at that game. Me and another guy had a blast explaining the game to him - and yes, offsides and icing were the two he struggled with most. Fast forward to now - dude texts me all the time during games! After that terrible shift by Seabs the other not where he went backwards and fell, he texted me saying 'lay off the nachos, dude'. :).

I think we can all agree that the know it alls who don't know jack - ie. Nashville fans - are the annoying ones.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not sure what point you are making TBH ..... but if you are saying that players aren't inspired by a loud crowd cheering for them you are dead wrong. If you think players are unaware when the stadium goes quiet and their fans are sitting on their hands you're wrong again.

Inspired? Does it make them play better? I'm sure it pumps them up a bit and so does Pantera playing on the speakers, but does it make them play better? Does it make them faster?

Hell, you hear athletes often say the opposite - that they zone it out. Especially on the road.

Football matters - loud crowds impact play calling and can lead to a false start penalty or two (Seattle). But how much, everyone talks about Seattle. I believe Arrowhead is actually louder. Do the Chiefs win every home game? Do they make it two SBs? No, they've just lost two straight home games.

Baseball - absolutely. Ballparks are all different. Home run stats the strongest evidence. It's not about crowd noise or interaction, but about the geometry of the park and the wind and altitude.

Basketball - don't get me started. Drake basically stands at center court and NBA games are basically hip hop concerts.

The point? I think fans give themselves to much credit as to how their 'fandom' impacts the success or failure of the players on the ice/field/court. I think fans want the volume and screaming for THEIR experience, but I'm not sure it impacts the result on the ice/field/court all that much.

Reactions: bwana63

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
The cheers are awesome and will be there once the team actually starts winning, sometimes they might need help and the fans feel it and will give them help, but when the team flat out sucks and no amount of cheers will get them to the playoffs why bother?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
When games are crazy expensive (StubHub 200 level tickets for $250+ for a mid week game against Arizona) and a team is popular, you are gonna get a lot of people at games who don't understand what's going on. Especially when most people didn't grow up playing hockey like they did football or baseball.

I don't mind fans that aren't die hard or super knowledgable. Remember, everyone had to start somewhere. Case in point - client of mine is from Nigeria. He attendeed a suite event we did. Great OT win against LA about 4 years ago. Never watched a game in his life. Dude got ADDICTED to it at that game. Me and another guy had a blast explaining the game to him - and yes, offsides and icing were the two he struggled with most. Fast forward to now - dude texts me all the time during games! After that terrible shift by Seabs the other not where he went backwards and fell, he texted me saying 'lay off the nachos, dude'. :).

I think we can all agree that the know it alls who don't know jack - ie. Nashville fans - are the annoying ones

Classifying an entire fan base is always wrong. They have the same mix of fans we do!

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
This is silly. They are professionals - motivation should come from within. When they do something worthy of applause, it will be received.
I had a really good meeting at work last week. I was blasting through my 400 power point slides! Right about slide #273, they all started cheering and I presented KPIs and blocking and tackling and not putting lipstick on a pig and not boiling the ocean. I got a bit down at slide #312 when I noticed people fading and going to the bathroom, then really got into it at slide #374 when they started screaming.

I got a slow clap when I left the room. I was the first, second and third star.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
There are some players that play the same no matter what, but there are definitely players that feed off the noise and atmosphere. Think about working out with music and without. A lot of people consider working out with headphones cheating because it is so easy. Gets the adrenaline going and helps the push through the fatigue.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Classifying an entire fan base is always wrong. They have the same mix of fans we do!

I disagree. They Hawks are a historical team in a cold weather climate.

Most in Nash are new fans - not anything wrong with that per se as you gotta start somewhere, but I just don't like the whole NASCAR vibe of it and the 'oohing and aahing' as if every play is offsides or a penalty.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Inspired? Does it make them play better? I'm sure it pumps them up a bit and so does Pantera playing on the speakers, but does it make them play better? Does it make them faster?

Hell, you hear athletes often say the opposite - that they zone it out. Especially on the road.

Football matters - loud crowds impact play calling and can lead to a false start penalty or two (Seattle). But how much, everyone talks about Seattle. I believe Arrowhead is actually louder. Do the Chiefs win every home game? Do they make it two SBs? No, they've just lost two straight home games.

Baseball - absolutely. Ballparks are all different. Home run stats the strongest evidence. It's not about crowd noise or interaction, but about the geometry of the park and the wind and altitude.

Basketball - don't get me started. Drake basically stands at center court and NBA games are basically hip hop concerts.

The point? I think fans give themselves to much credit as to how their 'fandom' impacts the success or failure of the players on the ice/field/court. I think fans want the volume and screaming for THEIR experience, but I'm not sure it impacts the result on the ice/field/court all that much.

HA,HA; so true, used to love basketball, played at the university level in Canada, been a Basketball official for 25 years and at this point in time I really want nothing to do with the game as a result of the underlined part above.

I still officiate but its for the money only (65$ a game), I get in do my double header and get out as fast as possible. Used to go early to catch some action and stay after the game sometimes especially if some good talent was playing after my games but I just can't be bothered anymore, the hip hop culture truly has taken over Basketball at the high school and university/college level here.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
HA,HA; so true, used to love basketball, played at the university level in Canada, been a Basketball official for 25 years and at this point in time I really want nothing to do with the game as a result of the underlined part above.

I still officiate but its for the money only (65$ a game), I get in do my double header and get out as fast as possible. Used to go early to catch some action and stay after the game sometimes especially if some good talent was playing after my games but I just can't be bothered anymore, the hip hop culture truly has taken over Basketball at the high school and university/college level here.
Hip-hop culture?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I disagree. They Hawks are a historical team in a cold weather climate.

Most in Nash are new fans - not anything wrong with that per se as you gotta start somewhere, but I just don't like the whole NASCAR vibe of it and the 'oohing and aahing' as if every play is offsides or a penalty.

Nashville has a high amount of relocations coming from all over, some Chicago. Good for them the town has supported the hockey team. This is not much different than when the Hawks came back from the dead IMO.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I’m just wondering what you think it is and why you seem to think it’s a bad thing.

It's loud, brash, in your face, tattoo trash talking 'me first' vibe and it's annoying.

When you let a Canadian former child actor, now rapper who spends a large percentage of his time trash talking other 'celebrities' on social media effectively stand on the court and be a part of the game, it's a bad thing.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
It's loud, brash, in your face, tattoo trash talking 'me first' vibe and it's annoying.

When you let a Canadian former child actor, now rapper who spends a large percentage of his time trash talking other 'celebrities' on social media effectively stand on the court and be a part of the game, it's a bad thing.
I love all of those things. Makes it entertaining.

Must be because I’m a millennial.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
The finals featured great play and good defense. So basically Drake is the reason for you. That’s cool.

No I just don't like the overall vibe of what the NBA has become. I'm late 40s so I prefer the 90s brand of basketball and the atmosphere.

And it's Drake per se. It's the idea of Drake, or Spike Lee or any other dopes. At least Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton sat there silently.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
No I just don't like the overall vibe of what the NBA has become. I'm late 40s so I prefer the 90s brand of basketball and the atmosphere.

And it's Drake per se. It's the idea of Drake, or Spike Lee or any other dopes. At least Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton sat there silently.

Spike Lee was doing that shit in the early 90's. Trash talking with Jordan, ect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad