Music: Bonobo - Migration

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Figured this deserved its own thread.

Bonobo's first album since 213 just dropped this morning. If you're a fan of trip hop, downtempo, dance, etc then definitely give this a listen. Very few producers have the range Bonobo does.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Colonials-What do you think?

I bought the album online but it won't arrive until next week because I saved money by grouping it with school textbook purchases. I don't want to cheat and stream it, I want the old school experience of listening to an album straight through.

The North Borders was only OK. It felt a flat compared to Black Sands which is the album of the 2010s for me. And Zherdene is a good singer, but Andreya Triana is incredible and replacing her is tough. It had some good moments like the Erykah Badu track and the single Cirrus.

I heard the first single from this album and it was a little boring to me. I'm hoping that's one of the weaker tracks if not the weakest on this album. Also, I know Simon Green doesn't use singers more than once, but when Andreya Triana played with the Bonobo band last year, I thought maybe she'd be back.

It was interesting to learn about him though and how he moved to NY in the 2010s and now lives in LA, and also that he has no more family in UK.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Need more time to let it marinate, but thus far it's better than Northern Borders (as was Days to Come, Dial M for Monkey and Black Sands in that order).

I'm a much bigger fan of the trip hop songs over the dancier ones, and this album seems to go back to Bonobos roots a little bit more. Songs like Surface are a perfect mix; you'll get up and dance but it still makes you think, just not in the isolated, pondering way a typical downtempo songs makes me.

Agreed, Kerala is great, but very basic. I'd still put it in the top half of my initial song rankings for the album, but there are plenty that trump it. This album really resonates with me because of the whole Migration/travel theme. I saw a bunch of the world this year and this album kind of assumes the role of a nostalgic playlist.

After Day 1 I'm a huge fan. It's not life changing, but it's a great album, and I think you'll enjoy it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Need more time to let it marinate, but thus far it's better than Northern Borders (as was Days to Come, Dial M for Monkey and Black Sands in that order).

I'm a much bigger fan of the trip hop songs over the dancier ones, and this album seems to go back to Bonobos roots a little bit more. Songs like Surface are a perfect mix; you'll get up and dance but it still makes you think, just not in the isolated, pondering way a typical downtempo songs makes me.

Agreed, Kerala is great, but very basic. I'd still put it in the top half of my initial song rankings for the album, but there are plenty that trump it. This album really resonates with me because of the whole Migration/travel theme. I saw a bunch of the world this year and this album kind of assumes the role of a nostalgic playlist.

After Day 1 I'm a huge fan. It's not life changing, but it's a great album, and I think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to it. I'll let you know in about a week what I think. Happy it's better than Northern Borders. As I said, any album in any genre and that includes metal/rap/jazz/etc. released this decade is compared to Black Sands. That's my favorite album of the 2010s and I haven't found anything since that even comes close to touching it.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Figured this deserved its own thread.

Bonobo's first album since 213 just dropped this morning. If you're a fan of trip hop, downtempo, dance, etc then definitely give this a listen. Very few producers have the range Bonobo does.

Your youtube link doesn't work, because you have to cut part of the URL out, and just copy "dquO_by8GI8" into the [ YT ] brackets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad