Proposal: Bonino to Pittsburgh

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd guess Nashville would likely want McCann back in any deal for Bonino.
What don't you guys like about McCann? He's in a lot of trade proposals. I don't know much about him. But we like Bonino a lot, so I doubt McCann would be of interest. Definitely not with any dumps like Bjugstad attached. I don't think you guys want or need Bonino back badly enough to pay what it would take. That's fair enough.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
On a serious note, I'd rather not acquire former Penguins. I think it's a risky strategy that rarely ends up paying off. Bringing back Hagelin, Cullen, and (ugh) Scuderi being recent examples that ranged from meh to disastrous.

If JR wants to improve the 3C spot, he should be looking at someone younger and faster.

when did we bring back hagelin?

Reactions: Khelandros

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What don't you guys like about McCann? He's in a lot of trade proposals. I don't know much about him. But we like Bonino a lot, so I doubt McCann would be of interest. Definitely not with any dumps like Bjugstad attached. I don't think you guys want or need Bonino back badly enough to pay what it would take. That's fair enough.

We like McCann. Our management won’t play him in his natural position and we don’t have the wing talent to surround him with on L3 to see him excel here so he’s a redundant piece that is an RFA who is a valuable piece in a trade.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Why would NSH trade Bonino for any package that includes cap dumps? He can clearly get a 2nd or a 2nd and a 3rd, and potentially even a late 1st, at next years TDL. Since NSH doesn’t have immediate cap issues, why would they trade him for a lesser package?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
We like McCann. Our management won’t play him in his natural position and we don’t have the wing talent to surround him with on L3 to see him excel here so he’s a redundant piece that is an RFA who is a valuable piece in a trade.
And what would you trade McCann for? A 2nd? A 1st? Which is why this proposal is ludicrous. Those are the kind of offers that will be proposed for Bonino next deadline. The problem with Bonino isn’t his play, it’s his salary, which, as an expiring contract, will make him extremely valuable at the deadline.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
We wouldn't.
That was the whole point. Bonino’s negative isn’t his play, it’s his salary (which, I think, is actually fair given his level of play, but could be risky for a longer term deal). That means that at the deadline, or even this offseason if the Preds decide to move him, Bonino will command a significant return. Therefore, any proposal including cap dumps will be a non-starter.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
That was the whole point. Bonino’s negative isn’t his play, it’s his salary (which, I think, is actually fair given his level of play, but could be risky for a longer term deal). That means that at the deadline, or even this offseason if the Preds decide to move him, Bonino will command a significant return. Therefore, any proposal including cap dumps will be a non-starter.

Yeah, I am totally in agreement. Bonino was amazing this year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No it doesn't.

If you have an issue with Bonino, offer an alternative.

On a serious note, I'd rather not acquire former Penguins. I think it's a risky strategy that rarely ends up paying off. Bringing back Hagelin, Cullen, and (ugh) Scuderi being recent examples that ranged from meh to disastrous.

If JR wants to improve the 3C spot, he should be looking at someone younger and faster.

I get your larger point, but...did we ever re-acquire Hagelin?

Also, I would rather have someone younger and faster too, but there are a lot of boxes to check for a 3C that we've had trouble checking. Needs to be defensively responsible, able to handle heavy d-zone deployments, and still produce at around 30-40 points a year with little quality PP time. McCann seemed to check those boxes but still struggled in that role this year because he didn't have the playmaking ability, and we have precious few assets left to get that player.

When Pageau became available, people balked at the price. But that's what it takes to get a younger 3C who can do those things well.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Would Nashville be interested in something around Hornqvist? Assuming Horny would be willing to waive his NTC. It's not that I want to see Horny go, but at his current cap hit, he doesn't exactly bring what the Pens need. Yes we don't have another person to put on the power play, but the Pens PP has been anemic for the last couple years, it's time to try something new. The Pens do need a reliable 3rd line centre that they have been looking for since Bones left.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So he's basically a young #3C? If we ever did trade Bonino (likely at the deadline), it's probably partly because we already have an heir apparent in Sissons, though. If McCann was good on the wing, that would actually make him more interesting to us than as a C.

It's always possible that Poile will decide to commit to a youth movement before seeing what next season holds. It has not been his MO in recent years, however. I don't see him moving Bonino this off-season. But if there was a sudden change in philosophy, maybe McCann would work. Except we would not be taking any bad contracts back along with him, so the odds are not in favor of this one.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would Nashville be interested in something around Hornqvist? Assuming Horny would be willing to waive his NTC. It's not that I want to see Horny go, but at his current cap hit, he doesn't exactly bring what the Pens need. Yes we don't have another person to put on the power play, but the Pens PP has been anemic for the last couple years, it's time to try something new. The Pens do need a reliable 3rd line centre that they have been looking for since Bones left.
I think we've touched on this in a few other threads in recent weeks. I think Nashville (some fans anyway) would have some degree of interest in Hornqvist. We like him. We have fond memories. We project to needing a winger. We have needed a netfront player for a long time. If Sissons and Bonino's 2019-20 seasons had been switched, I could see the Preds being willing to move Bonino for Horny. But we're not on that alternate timeline. So basically the only way we take Horny now is if we find some other way to move Turris to somebody without any significant retention or salary coming back, and that's not at all likely either. So while we might have an interest and use for Hornqvist, I don't think there's going to be a practical way to make it work. We'd have to have more cap space than we do, and you'd have to be willing to let him go for almost nothing, neither of which is going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad