OT: Bombers Thread: Bombers down Sask. Next West Final @CGY Nov 18

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sounds like the weather is going to be brutal in Saskatchewan. I like the CFL, but I do wonder about the situation where a lot of the most important games are played in brutal conditions.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Reading the papers today, it seems that Collaros might get the start, and I wonder if Jones is just playing with the Bombers.

(by the way, we already freed Dano). :thumbu:

Collaros didn't practice today. Bridge took the first team snaps. It honestly doesn't really matter. Neither Sask QB is very good. The media has been talking up Collaros, but when you actually look at it he is a mere 61.3% completion percentage, 9TD to 13INT and a 79.5 QB rating. There were 15 QB's this year to throw more than 75 passes. His rating is 13th in the league among those QB's. Only Montreal's Antonio Pipkin and Saskatchewan's Brandon Bridge are worse. This Sask offense is completely useless as long as they don't get a lucky 85 yard TD run.

Reactions: jetsforever

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sounds like the weather is going to be brutal in Saskatchewan. I like the CFL, but I do wonder about the situation where a lot of the most important games are played in brutal conditions.

Same thing in NFL. It's actually worse in the NFL. Places like Boston, Green Bay, New York are going to snowier and colder in December and January than the prairies in November.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB

Well at least Kevin Glenn wont have to wear his parka under his jersey this week, weather always effects the game whether it's brutally hot and humid or cold and snowy, how you prepare is the key. GO BOMBERS GO.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Same thing in NFL. It's actually worse in the NFL. Places like Boston, Green Bay, New York are going to snowier and colder in December and January than the prairies in November.
No argument. But the CFL could start its schedule 2 weeks earlier and it would make a difference for the playoff games. Who cares if the weather is a bit gnarly for training camp?

Reactions: SM17 and GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Collaros didn't practice today. Bridge took the first team snaps. It honestly doesn't really matter. Neither Sask QB is very good. The media has been talking up Collaros, but when you actually look at it he is a mere 61.3% completion percentage, 9TD to 13INT and a 79.5 QB rating. There were 15 QB's this year to throw more than 75 passes. His rating is 13th in the league among those QB's. Only Montreal's Antonio Pipkin and Saskatchewan's Brandon Bridge are worse. This Sask offense is completely useless as long as they don't get a lucky 85 yard TD run.
Oh, I agree. Collaros isn't to be feared. The Bombers need to minimize mistakes and force him to play on a long field as much as possible, and they should be fine.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No argument. But the CFL could start its schedule 2 weeks earlier and it would make a difference for the playoff games. Who cares if the weather is a bit gnarly for training camp?

They pushed the season 3 weeks earlier this season. We had pre-season games in May, camps usually started like 2nd week of June with no games until 3rd week. And that's the absolute limit to how early they can start the season. No wiggle room at all now because of the NFL draft. They don't have a choice to move it any earlier, or else CFL teams will not be able to sign anyone.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Gotta say I’m disappointed that the CFL is holding a game on Remembrance Day. Remembrance Day isn’t a regular STAT like Lanour Day. I get it that the game is being played well after 11:00 but still... it’s simply not just a day off. The game could have easily been scheduled for Friday or Saturday.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Gotta say I’m disappointed that the CFL is holding a game on Remembrance Day. Remembrance Day isn’t a regular STAT like Lanour Day. I get it that the game is being played well after 11:00 but still... it’s simply not just a day off. The game could have easily been scheduled for Friday or Saturday.
I think a morning to remember the sacrifice and an afternoon to celebrate freedom is a perfect way to honour those who served.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
They pushed the season 3 weeks earlier this season. We had pre-season games in May, camps usually started like 2nd week of June with no games until 3rd week. And that's the absolute limit to how early they can start the season. No wiggle room at all now because of the NFL draft. They don't have a choice to move it any earlier, or else CFL teams will not be able to sign anyone.
they also put in more bye weeks.

Reactions: Jets 31

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
they also put in more bye weeks.

Yes. Which is why the Grey Cup is at the same time as always in 3rd/4th week of November. I think 3 byes is too many. But fact remains that the CFL cannot move up their start date any more unless the NFL moves up their draft. This is as far up as te CFL can go until then. They could shorten the end of the season by removing some byes, but history tells us they would likely just delay the start not the end.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yes. Which is why the Grey Cup is at the same time as always in 3rd/4th week of November. I think 3 byes is too many. But fact remains that the CFL cannot move up their start date any more unless the NFL moves up their draft. This is as far up as te CFL can go until then. They could shorten the end of the season by removing some byes, but history tells us they would likely just delay the start not the end.
it's too much from a fan point of view. it's not enough from a player's point of view.
i can't believe that, 20 years ago, the CFL would have 5 days between some games and allow teams like Winnipeg to have green concrete as a so-called turf.
league's getting smarter and realizing that you need to invest in your players.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
it's too much from a fan point of view. it's not enough from a player's point of view.
i can't believe that, 20 years ago, the CFL would have 5 days between some games and allow teams like Winnipeg to have green concrete as a so-called turf.
league's getting smarter and realizing that you need to invest in your players.

20 years ago? 2 years ago they had teams playing on 3-4 days rest. The unbalanced schedules had teams playing Fridays into Tuesdays. Which was awful. The expanded byes helped with that no doubt. But with a balanced schedule coming up (Halifax 2020/2021) there should be no more than 2 bye weeks, IMO. 2 byes in 18 weeks is enough, imo.

Reactions: jetsforever

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Drpz7Z-UwAAyfMN.jpg:small

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think the schedule is as close to perfect as it can get. Bye weeks are good, injuries are down on the whole aside from receivers who play for Calgary and Hamilton.

I'd rather play games in this weather than start training camp in rainy 5 degree celsius weather and have everyone pulling groins and hamstrings. If training camp goes any earlier it will be happening indoors, this year they didn't even run many full practices. Hurts the ability to find the new star players as the guys aren't coached up for the pre-season games and the practices are nearly meaningless. There's also the issue of the NFL Draft/mini-camps for both imports and non-imports (and the CFL Draft). That will be more pressing with a couple pro leagues starting up down south.

If anything I'd prefer they lose one exhibition game and push training camp back a week. Let them run more full practices and scrimmages to identify players.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

They'll have a pre-game ceremony. It isn't the first time playoffs have fallen on Remembrance Day. Won't be the last. Those who sacrificed wouldn't care as long as we honour them too

None

Feb 22, 2012
With Collaros confirmed out it'll basically take a miracle for the Riders to win as long as the Bombers defense shows up.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

With 9 teams, the bye structure has to be weird

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad