Online Series: BoJack Horseman

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I've seen every episode of this show and I just do not get it. It's not that funny and the serious aspect of it is so unappealing. I mean if you're going to do it character focused actually have some interesting character arc.

It's the same thing every few episodes, bojack wants to believe he can be a good guy, tries to be, but his inner scum bag always comes out. If that's the whole series what's the point? You're just as formulaic and one dimensional as the sitcoms you're parodying

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I've seen every episode of this show and I just do not get it. It's not that funny and the serious aspect of it is so unappealing. I mean if you're going to do it character focused actually have some interesting character arc.

It's the same thing every few episodes, bojack wants to believe he can be a good guy, tries to be, but his inner scum bag always comes out. If that's the whole series what's the point? You're just as formulaic and one dimensional as the sitcoms you're parodying
I started to kind of like it in the second half of season 1, but slept right through season 2. I don't really get it either. I always hear people talk about how it's so deep too, which I don't really feel with Bojack at all.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The new season is definitely the weakest of the 3, IMO. Some great moments, but far short of the previous two seasons. Todd's development as a character was interesting, but he was hardly in the season so it didn't really do much.

Meh.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Liked it but didn't get as many good character development feelings as I did in the previous two seasons

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Halfway through Season 3, really enjoying it

I've watched the first couple episodes of season 3..

I thought episode 4 (Fish out of Water) was really cool. Unique depictions of an underworld society, & it's muted sounds. It was something different; they did some good, creative storytelling w/almost no dialog.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Anyone else seen this show? I dont know if there's a thread up for it I looked and got nothing. I always skipped over this show when I saw it on Netflix because I thought it was a lame comedy, well it isn't. I relate to the character so much and it's actually brilliant. Wanted to see what you guys think of it, usually not into these types of shows but I'm addicted and a bit disappointed I've never gave it a chance

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Just finished Season 4.

The tone of this season was very different. It felt much smaller and more intimate than the previous seasons, and the underlying theme of family, loss, and growth were exceptionally done. I think this season was brilliant and might be the highlight of the series for me. The writing was just as sharp and cutting as ever, with the celebrity filled episode "Underground" absolutely slaying it from the comedic side, to "Time's Arrow" being emotionally devastating and an unflinching look at the horrors of mental sickness, abuse, loss, and time.

There are real consequences to characters actions and the happy endings are for the most part the truths they make themselves believe. However we are reminded that through all of it, there is always hope.

An absolutely brilliant piece of work which really does transcend the medium into something tragic, beautiful, and poignant.

10/10

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ehh, I thought it was the second weakest season yet (only ahead of 3). While there was certainly a couple central plot lines, the season felt much more like a collection of episodes than a continuous story or theme. This was doubled down upon with both character-focused episodes and individual episode directing differences. The framing devices used in episodes like "You Stupid Piece of ****" and "Ruthie" were rather jarring when binging the season.

Todd could pretty much have been removed entirely from the season with very little impact outside of "Hooray! Todd Episode!"

Obviously any season Bojack will have some very powerful moments and some very funny moments. But in the first couple seasons the two were joined together, with gallows humor originating from the plot and actions of the characters. As the show has progressed, the humor and darkness have increasingly become separate entities rather than "two sides of the same coin."

Plus even the stand-alone humor has really dialed down on the clever animal puns of the first couple seasons, which is a bit of a bummer to me.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ehh...I liked Season 4.

I hate that now I have to wait for Season 5. Damn you Netflix and my need for wanting all the episodes now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Loved season 4 but I won't deny the criticism that the episodes feel less linked overall, and the subplots don't pay off nearly as well as previous seasons.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Got into this show two weeks ago, I am in season three now and just watched the 4th episode of season three (it's the underwater episode). Not 100% sure what to think yet but I'm amazed; the mood reminds me of lost in translation, it's probably one of the best and deepest (litteraly :laugh:) things I've watched so far from a cartoon show.

It's amazing when you think about that they had to create all this with basically zero text and only emotions and facial expressions - with drawn characters, and not real actors. Great stuff.

Haven't watched season 4 so far, but I feel the episodes are less connected in season 3 already. As long as they're still good on their own it's not a problem I think.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Best season yet. I didn't think a cartoon could be so powerful. Still had laugh out loud scenes, but just plain amazing storytelling.

I don't really care that it's not a straight serial. Forcing every story to be related to the main plot isn't a good thing.

Reactions: montreal

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Season 5 was a definite step up from seasons 3 & 4. Beyond the expected dark humor and depression, it was actually funny again. Some quality running gags worthy of the first couple seasons. The Henry Fondle arc was hilarious. Overall, I enjoyed this season a lot more than the past two, and find it a more or less positive change.

That being said, it was a little too "on the nose" at times. The second half of "BoJack the Feminist" was practically assaulting the viewer with "Hey, we're talking about our own show, get it!?!" The Eulogy episode felt like it was "artsy" for the sake of being artsy, trying to recapture the magic of the underwater episode from season 3. While it certainly wasn't objectively bad, it felt tacked on self-indulgent. It was there simply to break the expected format.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad