Confirmed with Link: Boedker signs two year contract

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Latest from McLellan on Boedker: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coy...coyotes-still-trying-sign-mikkel-boedker.html

Boedker did not file for arbitration, and (Boedker's Agent) Jarrett Bousquet and Titan Sports Management have a good rapport with Coyotes brass. The agency also represents defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

And it wasn’t until eight days before camp in 2010 that the Coyotes were able to lock up then-RFA center Martin Hanzal to a new deal. So it’s not necessarily unusual to wait the entire off-season for a resolution.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
hmmm... seems like Sarah is getting info from our posts ;)

I do tweet her from time to time with some of the ideas and discussions we've had around here. She's pretty and knowledgeable enough to make me overlook the fact she's from Edmonton, haha. But I do remember her shooting down the idea of reacquiring Lombardi last off-season because she asserted Maloney wouldn't go for old, and ultimately our instincts were proven correct.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Just a thought, but could it be that the Coyotes haven't come to a deal with Boed's because they are holding salary to see if they can upgrade with a more proven point producer?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Boed's and you can't really replace speed, but there are some guys out there as free agents or to be acquired through a trade that could be an upgrade. Especially if Boed's is looking for a long term in the $4M per year range (not that he is, that is my speculation).

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Just a thought, but could it be that the Coyotes haven't come to a deal with Boed's because they are holding salary to see if they can upgrade with a more proven point producer?

I honestly think it's waiting to move one of the vet Dmen.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Boed's and you can't really replace speed, but there are some guys out there as free agents or to be acquired through a trade that could be an upgrade. Especially if Boed's is looking for a long term in the $4M per year range (not that he is, that is my speculation).

According to Craig Morgan via twitter today, Boeds is looking for a long term contract.... and would be willing to give up some time from when he would turn UFA.

Anyone know the earliest he could turn UFA??

Feb 12, 2003
I don't like Boedker on a long term contract right now. He's shown some great potential, but if you pay him long term you are paying for potential which isn't really a Maloney kind of thing to do. If Boedker wants to get paid for the next 5+ years based on the player he is today, then sure, but I don't imagine he's asking for that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I do tweet her from time to time with some of the ideas and discussions we've had around here. She's pretty and knowledgeable enough to make me overlook the fact she's from Edmonton, haha. But I do remember her shooting down the idea of reacquiring Lombardi last off-season because she asserted Maloney wouldn't go for old, and ultimately our instincts were proven correct.

Watch it there young man, I'm from Edmonton.:)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
2017-2018 season. As of right now he's an RFA for 4 more seasons.

If the reports are true they're talking UFA years that would mean a 5+ year contract.

A 5-year would match OELs contract length. IIRC both have been teammates before the NHL.... both have the same agent..... Coincidence?

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
A 5-year would match OELs contract length. IIRC both have been teammates before the NHL.... both have the same agent..... Coincidence?

It's no secret that OEL and Boedker are very good friends off the ice. Mikkel should know that he's not at the same stage of his career as OEL, though. While a long term deal was the obvious path for OEL, I can't see how it's a good idea for Boedker just yet, unless he gets heavily overpaid of course.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's no secret that OEL and Boedker are very good friends off the ice. Mikkel should know that he's not at the same stage of his career as OEL, though. While a long term deal was the obvious path for OEL, I can't see how it's a good idea for Boedker just yet, unless he gets heavily overpaid of course.

I would pay Boedker $3m for 8 years. That would be dumb on his part, though. It's all about finding the right amount of security for each party. The team doesn't want to risk too much and Boedker doesn't want to pass up too much. Honestly, I don't see him breaking out and becoming a huge scoring threat. I think he will always be an excellent 2 way player just above Korpikoski. He should be paid as such.

For all we know he is being a company man and waiting to sign until the team is ready.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Latest scuttlebutt from the media this past evening is Boedker is close to signing a 2-year deal.

Just my speculation but GMDM may be keeping door open to an extension if Boeds' production gets back to his playoff levels from 2 years ago.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Marcus Johansson just signed two years, two million. That helps us. He's actually a year younger than Boeds and has much better career numbers. If Boedker is getting a two year deal, it should not be a penny over five million.

TheMurdocktor

102, Row K, Seat 4
Jul 11, 2010
Glendale, AZ
To be fair, Johannson played in a system that encouraged offensive production above everything and got to play w/ a bevy of playmakers.

Boedker had to earn his stripes in a defense-oriented system (except that one Gretzky year) and has never got a real opportunity to play w/ a legit set-up man.

The contract SHOULD be similar to Johannson's, although I think Boeds has a higher ceiling and more talent.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
To be fair, Johannson played in a system that encouraged offensive production above everything and got to play w/ a bevy of playmakers.

Boedker had to earn his stripes in a defense-oriented system (except that one Gretzky year) and has never got a real opportunity to play w/ a legit set-up man.

The contract SHOULD be similar to Johannson's, although I think Boeds has a higher ceiling and more talent.

Yeah, we probably shouldn't be too agressive in short-changing him right now; if we intend him to be part of the long term plan (which he absolutely deserves to be). He definitely is one of the players I think you expect to become a solid 2nd line player for quite some time, and should be paid according to similar players (Johansson).

I think he can really do a lot better now, in the offensive zone, now that we have a stablized center situation, and more players (Ribeiro, e.g.) and players maturing (Stone, Rundblad) who can play transitions well, that can allow us to sustain pressure in the O-zone more frequently. That might mean that his production will significantly improve over the next couple of years, and that we will look back at this as a bargain.

Plus, many of the higher priced pieces will be coming off the books in the next two off-seasons. I don't think that in the long run, a relatively large deal for Boedker is of significant concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->