Boedker and Bergman vs 2nd, 4th, 5th

What has more value?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Boedker is good on the PP and that's just about it. I'd rather take my chances with the 3 picks, easy choice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Boedker is a fine player, but his contract sucks. Easy choice.

2 years at $4 million for a guy producing middle-6 numbers isn't a bad contract.

This site is really dumb when it comes to draft picks. Boedker likely has the value of a 2nd rounder right now after having a pretty solid season last year, especially if Ottawa would retain salary on him.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Boedker is good on the PP and that's just about it. I'd rather take my chances with the 3 picks, easy choice.
this is a ridiculous statement. only 8 of his 37 points have come on the pp. he starts most of his shifts in the defensive zone, plays penalty kill and is an all around good winger.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Sounds like you haven’t watched him as a Shark. “Underrated” is the last word I’d use to describe him.
i meant his value is underrated. 4 million for 2 more seasons isn't a bad deal whatsoever for a player that plays in all situations and puts up 30 points

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
i meant his value is underrated. 4 million for 2 more seasons isn't a bad deal whatsoever for a player that plays in all situations and puts up 30 points

Plays in all situations? I can’t remember Boedker playing any significant minutes on the PK and he was garbo on the PP. He “technically” played on our shutdown line but it was by virtue of having nowhere else to put him rather than by virtue of his own play. His effort severely fluctuates. He rode the coattails of Hertl and Couture’s dominant playoff performances and put up okay numbers. He was trash defensively. Just like Yotes fans warned us, he’s the type of player who will put up three goals in two games and look like a world-beater (usually against bottom-feeders) and then look completely invisible at best for the next fifteen games.

No, Boedker is not a cap dump. But he is not worth a 2nd round pick and his contract isn’t good and he isn’t good.

Reactions: Peanut and TychoFan

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Plays in all situations? I can’t remember Boedker playing any significant minutes on the PK and he was garbo on the PP. He “technically” played on our shutdown line but it was by virtue of having nowhere else to put him rather than by virtue of his own play. His effort severely fluctuates. He rode the coattails of Hertl and Couture’s dominant playoff performances and put up okay numbers. He was trash defensively. Just like Yotes fans warned us, he’s the type of player who will put up three goals in two games and look like a world-beater (usually against bottom-feeders) and then look completely invisible at best for the next fifteen games.

No, Boedker is not a cap dump. But he is not worth a 2nd round pick and his contract isn’t good and he isn’t good.
i'm shocked to hear this really

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If you didn’t know anything about Boedker, then why did you make the strong statement “Boedker is extremely underrated”?
because i thought he was extremely underrated. i thought the people that said "he's a cap dump" were being too harsh on him

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
so why are we acting like Ottawa and SJ trading Hoffman is a comparable situation?

Last time I checked, everyone knew Ottawa had to move Hoffman and they had zero leverage in any deal.

Pretty big set of handcuffs SJ didnt have in making their deal

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If you didn’t know anything about Boedker, then why did you make the strong statement “Boedker is extremely underrated”?
Scored at a significantly higher rate 5v5 than Hoffman did last season... I find that surprising, considering all of the comments about the two players.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Depends. If i'm voting from Edmonton (my teams) views. I'd probably take Boedker as we don't need the picks. We need proven guys.

I voted as an Ottawa fan. I choose the picks easily. What does Boedker do for a team that's not going to be a cup contender anytime soon. Yeah he might throw in 10-15 goals next year, great good for him. Ottawa is still going to be a bottom 5 team IMO.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
2 years at $4 million for a guy producing middle-6 numbers isn't a bad contract.

This site is really dumb when it comes to draft picks. Boedker likely has the value of a 2nd rounder right now after having a pretty solid season last year, especially if Ottawa would retain salary on him.

It is when you could have similar production with guys that could be on ELC's. The problem with a guy like Boedker is that that 4M could be spent on a better player/more players to a contender, but it's not too bad of a contract on a team that isn't in contention and is spending to the cap floor.

Reactions: Peanut

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Depends. If i'm voting from Edmonton (my teams) views. I'd probably take Boedker as we don't need the picks. We need proven guys.

I voted as an Ottawa fan. I choose the picks easily. What does Boedker do for a team that's not going to be a cup contender anytime soon. Yeah he might throw in 10-15 goals next year, great good for him. Ottawa is still going to be a bottom 5 team IMO.
We also need cap flexibility. Boedker is being paid 4 million until 2020.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think most Sharks, Avs and Coyotes fans agree with Boedker. He's not terrible, he can put up some points and, well, you can put him on special teams but he's "empty calories". He's not especially great at anything other than being fast, he's not a natural scorer by any means, he's the definition of a "finesse" player with zero physicality, he disappears for huge chunks of the season and I'm not sure why he's got this MO of being a great two-way player - he's never impressed me even slightly with his defensive acumen or checking ability. He's not really a great top two line scoring player and he's definitely not a key part of an elite checking line. He'll be fine for Ottawa, I expect him to rebound closer to 45...maybe even 50 points. And he's not terribly overpaid. He's just...kind of a guy out there who will impress with his wheels every once in a while and not contribute a ton overall.

I'm not sure a grab bag of picks is worth significantly more than him, to be honest...he's at least a solid NHLer still. But also don't think he's going to be worth all that much to Ottawa either. He's certainly not a guy who is going to factor all that much in their success or failure next season. And that being the case, why not just grab the picks?

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

He's owed 6 million over two years, cap hit of 4mil.

Unless he really blows with Ottawa, he will probably return close to a 2nd at the 2020 deadline.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

How does his contract suck? 4M for two more years and he's a middle six player? That's pretty much going rate at this point.

He's only good on the PP? The same PP where he got only just a shade over 1/5th of his points? For someone who's only good on the PP you'd think more than 21% of his points would come on the PP, no?

Reactions: insomniac
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad