Value of: Bobrovsky to Flyers

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Agreed, it was pretty comical when the Flyers did it with Bob.
Bob was awful when the flyers traded him. I may be wrong so you can fact check me, but he was a sub .900 SV% and a plus 3 GAA as a starter.

Holmgren doesn’t care for Russians I take it. I’m pretty sure the only modern Russians to play for the flyers in recent memory were Provorov, Lyubimov, and now Vorobyev.., but Hextall was here for most of them if not all.

Couldn’t have known he would’ve turned into the player he is today.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Nobody expected him to win two Vezinas. But the Flyers traded Bob and went with Bryz and then Steve Mason. It was dumb back then. It just looks way dumber now. Bob was a young goalie that showed plenty of promise.
With the apparent goaltending curse in Philadelphia, it would only make sense is if Bob stayed... he would’ve ended up like Bryzgalov and Mason... now Elliot

EDIT: Bob went 54GP 2.59GAA .915% 2010-2011 | 29GP 3.02GAA .899% 2011-2012... that’s hardly any promise.

It’s so easy to go back and say what a dumb trade. Looking back at his clips... I just did because this trade left my mind... he did not look good. I also saw some clips from the KHL during the lockout season 2012-2013... Something clicked there and he changed.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Yup. We're super bitter at all the success the Jackets have had with Bob.

We just wish Bob could've led us to the same promised land he led you guys :(

Besides, if we were bitter about our dealings with the Blue Jackets and compare times when we got hte better of, we'd be bringing up the time Columbus got absolutely obliterated by giving the Flyers a PPG winger and a draft pick that became a Selke caliber #1 C for 20 games of Jeff Carter, but we're better than that and no sense in bringing up old business.

And this CBJ fan would do it again...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Bob was awful when the flyers traded him. I may be wrong so you can fact check me, but he was a sub .900 SV% and a plus 3 GAA as a starter.

Holmgren doesn’t care for Russians I take it. I’m pretty sure the only modern Russians to play for the flyers in recent memory were Provorov, Lyubimov, and now Vorobyev.., but Hextall was here for most of them if not all.

Couldn’t have known he would’ve turned into the player he is today.
Bryzgalov?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd take Carter Hart, Travis Konecny and a 1st. No way Philly does this but Bob is probably gone from the Jackets after this season anyway so why not from Columbus' perspective?

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I'd take Carter Hart, Travis Konecny and a 1st. No way Philly does this but Bob is probably gone from the Jackets after this season anyway so why not from Columbus' perspective?

Your take is correct. No chance Philly entertains that. Goalies don’t hold that kind of value in this day and age. I’d be hesitant to offer a first let alone a top line RW and one of the top goalie prospects in the sport as well.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Wade Allison and a 1st. You try and convince bob that 3x8 is a reasonable extension and see what the playoffs bring. You can't drink champagne out of a vezina. If not you took a crack at one of the best goalies in the world and you still have a top 10 prospect pool with ratcliffe and farabee at wing.
I think combus makes every effort to extend him and holds on to hom as long as possible to try and get that done

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
If we’re going to trade for a goalie it’s for someone with ~2 years left and Elliott or Neuvirth need to go the other way.

Any takers?

Reactions: Tripod

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
With the apparent goaltending curse in Philadelphia, it would only make sense is if Bob stayed... he would’ve ended up like Bryzgalov and Mason... now Elliot

EDIT: Bob went 54GP 2.59GAA .915% 2010-2011 | 29GP 3.02GAA .899% 2011-2012... that’s hardly any promise.

It’s so easy to go back and say what a dumb trade. Looking back at his clips... I just did because this trade left my mind... he did not look good. I also saw some clips from the KHL during the lockout season 2012-2013... Something clicked there and he changed.

You know the Philly goalie curse isn’t a real thing? It’s just stupid management.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I was always under the impression that moving Bob was a bit of “help the guy and his career out” type move. At the time we had Bryz locked up long term, it was a nice move from management to give him a chance to go somewhere else and take a crack at becoming a starter.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
You know the Philly goalie curse isn’t a real thing? It’s just stupid management.
Idk about management... we haven’t had good developmental coaches for our goaltenders in a bit. Philadelphia has never really been a good home for Russian players. Philly doesn’t prefer that language barrier.

If you meant like developmental coaching being synonymous with management... then yeah I agree. I know there’s no such this as a curse like that, but it certainly feels like it.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I know the Flyers have Carter Hart but what would Flyer fans give up to finally have a number one goalie?

You’re just being cruel. As a Flyers fan I am still trying to get past this debacle of a trade.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Dude no no no to Bobrovsky. Y'all don't want to pay him and historically paying goalies the insane money he's due is going to be a bad decision.

And just to throw this out there: people love to trash Steve Mason but the dude was the best goalie we had since like 2003. We got a great deal out of CBJ even though they (of course) got a better one acquiring Bob.

Just no no no to Bob. It's done and we have Carter Hart coming. Signing Bob would be like signing Bryz again, except Bryz actually had a great playoff performance on his resume by that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad