Bobby Ryan

lammy

Jul 18, 2006
It might be bad form to second quess Brian Burke, but I have a question. I know that the Ducks have an abundance of young talent, but I wonder why they wouldn't want to have Ryan around for this cup run? Seems to me, he was/is billed as a franchise type player. Why not throw him in, since they don't have much fourth line depth anyway. Anyone know what is happening?

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
The Ducks fourth line does the job of a fourth line. Putting a scoring forward on that line wouldn't serve the purpose. Ryan would have been out of place last night when the fourth line provided the entire team with a jolt of energy there in the first period, for example.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
It might be bad form to second quess Brian Burke, but I have a question. I know that the Ducks have an abundance of young talent, but I wonder why they wouldn't want to have Ryan around for this cup run? Seems to me, he was/is billed as a franchise type player. Why not throw him in, since they don't have much fourth line depth anyway. Anyone know what is happening?

I'm guessing you missed the game last night?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Last night was all about the 4th line!
If he could play left wing he might have stolen Millers spot even though Drew may be further along in his development

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON

Ryan isn't ready for the style of play that the NHL playoffs brings. He'd be out of place. I'd even be surprised if he was in the NHL at the start of next year - he'll probably need some time in the AHL first.

I also question whether or not Ryan will actually be a franchise type player, although I do think he'll be a good nhler.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i think tho they should really fly him in there, practice maybe a little or train off ice with a few of the guys, see how its like to be around guys in this situation, watch from the box upstairs and take it all in..

many teams do that often

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
i think tho they should really fly him in there, practice maybe a little or train off ice with a few of the guys, see how its like to be around guys in this situation, watch from the box upstairs and take it all in..

many teams do that often

Anaheim did that earlier in the playoff run with a number of prospects (I know Bryce Swan went for example) but returned them home after the second round I think.

Geese_Howard*

the guy is good, he'll probably go on the 3rd line with Pahlson and Nidermayer and Moen will be put on the 4th.

Man if the Ducks resign Selanne and Giguere and get one more top 4 dman they just get better.... inserting a player like Ryan is huge.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston

many teams do that often

At this point, veterans having to worry about teaching a bunch of kids is the last thing the team needs. Ryan would be a distraction.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
the guy is good, he'll probably go on the 3rd line with Pahlson and Nidermayer and Moen will be put on the 4th.

Man if the Ducks resign Selanne and Giguere and get one more top 4 dman they just get better.... inserting a player like Ryan is huge.

The way Moen is playing in these playoffs, he's done nothing to deserve less ice time.

Anaheim's strategy with younger players has been the same lately, don't rush them, but don't hold them back (see Perry, Penner, O'Brien and Getzlaf). I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the year in the AHL (actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays the whole year there), until he can beat out of veteran for a spot. Obviously, with Ryan as a scoring forward, they might have to integrate him into the lineup carefully with things like the top three lines appearing fairly solid at this time, but he's pretty much being primed to step up and fill the void that will occur on right wing when Selanne eventually retires. I think the hope is that he'll stick around until Ryan is ready however.

Tfighter

Jul 27, 2006
Alhambra, CA
Never seen the kid play. I know Bobby Ryan is groomed to be a power forward and all, but can the kid hit or play with an edge? Or is he just a scorer?

Bill_Crosby*

Ryan isn't ready for the style of play that the NHL playoffs brings. He'd be out of place. I'd even be surprised if he was in the NHL at the start of next year - he'll probably need some time in the AHL first.

I also question whether or not Ryan will actually be a franchise type player, although I do think he'll be a good nhler.

Andrew Ladd 2, Revenge of the overhype!

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
When they drafted him 2nd overall in the Crosby draft I at first felt bad for the guy, because I had a really bad feeling about his NHL career.

Overhype, whatever you want to call it, I wasnt sold on him as a blue chip prospect adding to that the weight of being the man behind Crosby.

I really hope he becomes a solid scorer in the NHL, but I have my doubts. What I remember most about this kid is how much Bobby Clarke wanted to draft him and how highly regarded he was by the flyers in general.

I believe the word on his potential was somewhat of an Erik Cole type player?, I am not entirely sold on this comparrison, but if he could be anything close to Erik Cole, he will fit in nicely with the ducks and their young core.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
When they drafted him 2nd overall in the Crosby draft I at first felt bad for the guy, because I had a really bad feeling about his NHL career.

Overhype, whatever you want to call it, I wasnt sold on him as a blue chip prospect adding to that the weight of being the man behind Crosby.

I really hope he becomes a solid scorer in the NHL, but I have my doubts. What I remember most about this kid is how much Bobby Clarke wanted to draft him and how highly regarded he was by the flyers in general.

I believe the word on his potential was somewhat of an Erik Cole type player?, I am not entirely sold on this comparrison, but if he could be anything close to Erik Cole, he will fit in nicely with the ducks and their young core.

He's nothing like Erik Cole. He's also not what you'd call a traditional power forward. He's a big kid who is very skilled but has slow feet. I would agree that there are questions about his potential impact, but if brought along correctly, and if he polishes his footspeed a bit, I don't see why he can't become a legit first line player in the NHL. He's tremendously skilled and can run a power play.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006

I wonder now that two years have passed if the Flyers would like Ryan enough to trade this years pick for him. Somehow I doubt it.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
Burke has stated many times he isn't trading Ryan, but I fully believe he' trade bait... With that top line of Selanne-McDonald-Kunitz and second line of Perry-Getzlaf-Penner there really isn't room for him. Then throw in the rumours of Kariya and other UFA's coming to Anaheim plain and simple there is no room for Ryan you don't play him on the fourth line that's a waste. So he's destined for at least a couple years in the AHL or be traded IMHO...

Talentless Practise*

there is no room for Ryan you don't play him on the fourth line that's a waste. So he's destined for at least a couple years in the AHL or be traded IMHO...

He needs atleast a year in the minors before his ready for NHL duty. Selänne might retire this summer and i think Burke plans for Ryan to slot in Teemu's spot seamlessly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad