Value of: Bobby Ryan

Ser Grogu

Dank farrik
Aug 6, 2009
Bobby Ryan is under contract for four more seasons (21-22) at a cap hit of $7.25M. When he's not dealing with recurring freak finger injuries he's still a pretty good player (See 2017 playoffs)

Assuming the role of your favourite/favorite team's GM or in general, how much would the Sens need to retain on Cherry Hill's #1 son's contract for you to pay the following respective prices/value?

Future considerations (aka you'll take him for free):

A nominal asset (late round pick or NHL/AHL tweener, etc):

Something decent/substantive (2nd round pick/B prospect):

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The biggest problem is the Sens are really bad, and that is a problem because 4 years at 7m would cost about 2 1st round picks in compensation. As Otts picks will be too high their options could include:

-trade him for an equally bad contract
-Or as has been rumored try to put him with EK, granted that would lower what you would get back.

No matter how you cut it though it would take something substantial for a team to take him on.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The real question is, how much are the Sens willing to pay to move him?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Bobby Ryan is under contract for four more seasons (21-22) at a cap hit of $7.25M. When he's not dealing with recurring freak finger injuries he's still a pretty good player (See 2017 playoffs)

Assuming the role of your favourite/favorite team's GM or in general, how much would the Sens need to retain on Cherry Hill's #1 son's contract for you to pay the following respective prices/value?

Depends how much the salary the Sens want to eat.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Honestly believe Vegas has already agreed to take BR in an EK deal. Now does Vegas include Glass, which supposedly was the sticking point at TDL.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The Bolland trade gives a good comparison for what it would take and why he hasn’t been dealt yet. Bolland was actually a much more attractive player since he had less term, a much lower salary, and could be placed on LTIR so the aquiring team didn’t have to pay his full salary. Bolland (with some additions) fetched Crouse, a recent 11th overall draft pick in the best draft since 2003. Crouse was a player that was slated to go in the top 10 by pretty much every publication and was a similar prospect to Tkachuk of this years draft, all throughout the year he had many scouts tout him as a top 5 pick. Obviously he hasn’t developed as well as originally thought but he had a lot of value at the time.

For the Sens, if you wanted to trade him without taking a Lucic/Seabrook contract back, the equivalent pieces would be Brown or White (at least), as I think the 4th overall or Chabot is probably too high in value to be compared to Crouse, even though Ryan has a much worse contract than Bolland had. This might seem rich, but you need to remember that you’re asking a teams owner to pay 30 million dollars over the next 4 years. How many owners would pay 30 million dollars right now if you offered them the 22nd overall pick? And that’s without factoring in that Ryan needs to take a roster spot and you lose 7.25 million in cap space. That’s why any proposal that has Ryan + 22 for future considerations is unrealistic to me, the Senators would have to package him with a player that really hurts to lose (or by packaging him with Karlsson which cripples the return) which is why he hasn’t been traded yet.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I can't count the number I've times I've heard the 2017 playoffs referenced when trying to convince people that Ryan is still a good player. That's a 19 game sample size. We've got a much larger sample size over the last few seasons that show pretty strongly he isn't a good player anymore. That's what we should be using to evaluate him. Finger injuries obviously dont help, but he's shown nothing in ages that should convince people he'll ever return to being a productive top 6 player. His value is as negative as it gets in the entire league right now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ryan with money retained is a positive asset. Not taking back garbage if we're already paying part of his contract.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Ryan + ? for Marc Staal

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
I think Ryan at 5m and 22ov would get a few teams in build mode and with cap space to spare to think about it.

Could see Vancouver, NYR, Montreal, Vegas contemplate that.

Also wouldn’t do it if I’m the sens because they have tons of cap space so they should just ride out his deal rather than give up 22ov but melnyks eyes would light up when Dorion tells him he’s going to save him 20m over the next 4 years.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I honestly wouldn't mind if the Habs took on that contract. Sens will have to pay a pretty penny though.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
How is Ryan on the powerplay? Is he a trigger man or more of a passer. I haven't watched him in some time. Regardless I would much rather STL give Ryan a shot at 5 or 5.5 with Berglund going the other way and maybe a smaller add from OTT

Would much rather go that route than go after Kovalchuk unless Kovalchuk signs a 1 or 2 year deal

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
How is Ryan on the powerplay? Is he a trigger man or more of a passer. I haven't watched him in some time. Regardless I would much rather STL give Ryan a shot at 5 or 5.5 with Berglund going the other way and maybe a smaller add from OTT

Would much rather go that route than go after Kovalchuk unless Kovalchuk signs a 1 or 2 year deal

If the point of moving Ryan is to clear salary then they aren't likely retaining and taking Berglund in return.

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016

You should compare Ryan and Berglund's stats over the past couple of seasons. It's down right ugly at his current cap hit and still bad at 5.5. With the plethora of RW prospects the Blues have in the pipeline it makes more sense to just to use Berglund as a stop gap than being tied down to Ryan's contract.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
As someone stated, what are the sens willing to part with ?

Ryan at 0%retained + ?

Ryan at 50% retained for?

Ryan at 50% retained has some value imo, but I don't see Melnyk wanting that.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
If Ottawa is going to be tanking the next few seasons why trade him? By the time they're ready to compete again his contract will be up. If the rebuild happens a little quicker than that just buy out the final year when that time comes.

Reactions: Klaus3154

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->