News Article: Bobby Ryan Wins the Masterton for Perseverance

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Not sure what to say about it;

Congratulations, your childhood was shit and it’s eaten away at you.

Just proud the guys managed to get the help he needs.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Congrats to Bobby getting the help he needed and coming (and staying hopefully) out the other side.

If watching the highlights of his return game doesn't bring tears to your eyes then you are a robot.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Congratulations to Bobby on this one. I really hope he uses it as motivation and reassurance that his hard work in recovery has paid off and to continue pushing himself to keep sober and healthy.

I think we have a secret weapon in Ryan that most fans have already basically written off as a player, but this guy was drafted 2nd overall for a reason. He has elite skill and has proven to be a lethal player when he is on his game.

At 33 he can still easily turn his body into a fitness machine if he is willing to put in the training, something maybe he has never fully committed to. A healthy, in shape Ryan would easily be our 2nd best RW and a top 6 player for us no problem.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Congratulations to Bobby on this one. I really hope he uses it as motivation and reassurance that his hard work in recovery has paid off and to continue pushing himself to keep sober and healthy.

I think we have a secret weapon in Ryan that most fans have already basically written off as a player, but this guy was drafted 2nd overall for a reason. He has elite skill and has proven to be a lethal player when he is on his game.

At 33 he can still easily turn his body into a fitness machine if he is willing to put in the training, something maybe he has never fully committed to. A healthy, in shape Ryan would easily be our 2nd best RW and a top 6 player for us no problem.

Even as broken down and "wrote off", he still has produced over 0.5 PPG since 2017-18 (so the context is after the Cup run and when the team started sinking) and only 4 forwards currently on the team have paced better

Brady Tkachuk 0.63 PPG (142 GP)
Anthony Duclair 0.62 PPG (87 GP)
Connor Brown 0.61 PPG (71 GP)
Chris Tierney 0.56 PPG (152 GP)
Bobby Ryan 0.51 PPG (164 GP)

Despite injuries, despite personal problems, despite playing on a bad teams, despite 3rd line minutes, despite average linemates...

An "healthy" Bobby in a more favorable situation can still pace around ~0.6 and be a good 2nd line forward. He's not a 1st liner anymore because of age, injuries and the game getting faster but his skill, vision and hockey IQ allows him to still be somewhat efficient.

The written off part comes more from the fact that he has been overpaid the last few seasons more than anything. He's also a finesse type that always left you wanting more (like Kovalev, Spezza, Brown...)

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Congratulations not just for the award but having the courage to face your issues head on and come out the other side.
In doing so you have raised awareness for those who may also be going through difficult times and giving them a reason to explore help as well.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Finally, a feel good story about the Sens. Really proud of Bobby. Takes a lot of guts to do what he did. He is a great example for anyone who feels too ashamed to get help. Congrats!

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad