News Article: Bobby Ryan: Why Not Us? from the Player's Tribune

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Read it and realized Bobby Ryan's problem. You never call a Woman Ma'am always Ms. Even if she has a ring on the finger and regardless of age.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Cool article.

Only thing that made me raise an eyebrow was when he said he took a cab to the arena in Kanata. Don't visiting teams take a team bus?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
People always seem to assume that money makes these guys into emotionally bullet proof targets. It simply isn't the case. They get stressed out just like everyone else and they have normal emotions. The money doesn't change that.

Bobby Ryan seems like a real stand up guy and I'm proud that he's playing for the Sens.

Some players are emotional players, some are bullet proof emotionless machines. To me it seemed so obvious that Ryan in the former category, and it affected his play.

I've been arguing this all season, when I was the only one basically defending him:

Last December:
Look at Alfredsson for example. When he was Bobby Ryan's age (29), he got 71 points, tying his career best from his sophmore year. He was often injured, and considered a playoff choker.

After that, his career took off, became the greatest Senator of all time, and didn't drop below 71 points again until he was 38.

Ofcourse he's an exceptional case. But don't act like it's a given that players drop off. Nobody is a fortune teller.

I will say though, one of Alfredsson's problems earlier in his career was that he cared too much. Tried too hard to do it all himself when things got tough. As he matured, his game aged gracefully. I think Bobby Ryan's problem with consistency is that he's too hard on himself and gets down on himself. That's why he's so streaky. He has the talent and ability. Will his game improve as he matures? Who knows. But every case is different. You can't just apply blanket statements like "he's close to 30, he will decline".
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=125639037&postcount=76

Last March
Yes he's had a rough first part of the season I'm willing to give him a pass due to his circumstances off the ice (his mother dying suddenly in the off-season and the birth of his first child), and circumstances on the ice (breaking his hand twice, unlucky). He's looked much better since returning from his latest injury. Karlsson had a really rough 2013-14 season due to off and on ice issues (divorce, alfie gone, injury), and nobody jumped on him. So why with Ryan?

Edit: To add. I'd like to say that I agree with you that Ryan is a confidence player. He plays much better when he's confident, and less so when he's not, causing him to be streaky. I also think that Boucher is capable of getting the most out of him. I also believe that it's very possible he came to camp slightly out of shape. Considering his mother died suddenly in the off-season (have you even read his Player's Tribune article?), I'm willing to give him a pass on that one. Nobody gave Anderson **** when he stepped away from hockey to be with his wife.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=129802383&postcount=897

Some sweet sweet redemption.

He has probably matured more in the past year, dealing with his mom passing, and the birth of his first child than he ever has in his whole life.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Very well written.

Proud to sport the Heritage Classic "Ryan 6". Keep it going guys.

I've actually been wanting to wear mine all playoffs, but don't wanna jinx the run he's been on. I'm not even supersticious, either.. but I am a little sticious.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The team has definitely surpassed my expecations, and Bobby has definitely been one of our best players this run. I'm also very impressed with our system, our coaching, our players, but I feel like being in Final Four is too early for the actual team itself to be saying "see, you didn't believe in us, look how far we've come and have yet to go." Sure, if they make the finals, maybe it's time to start pounding their chests, and ECF is an accomplishment of its own, but lets not start demanding respect. We've seen fluke years before in Calgary, Florida, Tampa, and Colorado.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Great piece.

Hopefully Bobby can start grocery shopping again after this great run he's had in the playoffs, it's ridiculous that he had to stop in the first place.

Are you serious? You think a hockey player playing in a Canadian city shouldn't expect people to come up to them to discuss the game?

Sounds like no one was being impolite or brash towards him. It's just people being people.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Now I feel like setting up a hidden camera in the grocery store, just so we can catch some lil old lady start whacking Ryan with her cane. :laugh:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Are you serious? You think a hockey player playing in a Canadian city shouldn't expect people to come up to them to discuss the game?

Sounds like no one was being impolite or brash towards him. It's just people being people.

I think if every time someone talked to me the only ever talked to me about my job, and were consistently telling me how to do it better despite not being a professional in that field (most being amateur enthusiasts at best, and completely ignorant at worst), I'd probably stop going out in public too.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I think if every time someone talked to me the only ever talked to me about my job, and were consistently telling me how to do it better despite not being a professional in that field (most being amateur enthusiasts at best, and completely ignorant at worst), I'd probably stop going out in public too.

Jean Beliveau describes going out in Montreal during the 50s and 60s in his biography (which is a fantastic read).

Jean said that during the good times (which admittedly were frequent for him) he felt like a king. People would stop him and give him presents, buy him things or just want him to talk hockey. But during the bad times he felt under siege where folks would shake their fists at him and give him holy hell everywhere he went.

My approach has always been to give them a nod, say keep working hard and leave them alone. Sometimes they'll feel like talking and that's great. Had a good discussion with Alfie one day during the lockout. They're humans just like us and will respond the exact same way we would depending on the attitude.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

This is so true. I work for the House of Commons and I see a lot of what happens here behind the scenes and how completely wrong the press gets it in almost every news article I read. Not only that, but almost every single reporter that writes about politics, has no real understanding of the rules or procedures. And these are the 'experts' that are relating the story to the general public.

I don't bother debating anything political (not policy but what actually happens on the Hill) with most of my friends because they are so outside the loop, and fed so much nonsense in the media that it isn't a fair dialogue.

Must be like in football when viewers yell at the QB for throwing a pass to 'nobody' when in reality, a receiver turned the wrong direction on a timed pattern.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
After reading both of his Players Tribune articles I very impressed with Bobby's writing ability, but then thought that maybe the players have a lot of help, or the articles are heavily edited. But then I read Logan Couture's article and that reads like it was written by a 14 yr old who stopped caring about school because he was going to make the NHL.

It would be awesome if Bobby wrote some more articles

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
After reading both of his Players Tribune articles I very impressed with Bobby's writing ability, but then thought that maybe the players have a lot of help, or the articles are heavily edited. But then I read Logan Couture's article and that reads like it was written by a 14 yr old who stopped caring about school because he was going to make the NHL.

It would be awesome if Bobby wrote some more articles

I very much doubt the players are the ones doing the writing.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I've often wondered this. How heavily edited are the pieces? I have a difficult time imagining every star athlete has the writing skills of a journalist.

It's the equivalent of a rockstar writing an autobiography. A writer essentially sits down with the (human in question) and writes it for them based on the stories they tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad