News Article: Bobby Ryan: Why Not Us? from the Player's Tribune

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Great piece.

Hopefully Bobby can start grocery shopping again after this great run he's had in the playoffs, it's ridiculous that he had to stop in the first place.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Great piece.

Hopefully Bobby can start grocery shopping again after this great run he's had in the playoffs, it's ridiculous that he had to stop in the first place.

He'll never have to pay for Groceries ever again in Ottawa. Ryan could make it rain groceries in Ottawa right now if he wanted to. Be like pizza-pops and mini cheeses dropping from the CTC roof top.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Bobby seems like such a down to earth guy. Crazy considering the crap that guy has went through in his life.

I really hope he's a contributing member of the Senators for a long time.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Holy hormones!! Every hockey article I read about ottawa I end in tears! This was no exception. A great read and such a great mentality. Most of us fans have been able to see this season that there was a bigger picture and I'm thrilled that even though there were ups and downs, this team has come together and has so much heart and fight that they could overcome a lot of things. Why not!?

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Well written. He seems like a all round good guy.

He is a regular at the restaurant my wife works at and she chats with him whenever she gets the chance, not about hockey just life in general and she has nothing but good things to say about him.

It has been a tough year for Bobby so I am glad he has found success in the playoffs.

utah

Apr 12, 2006
Bobby Ryan shortly after the trade, was introduced to the Ottawa Media at an event at the Bell Sensplex. Un-known to us, this included visiting a Novice Hockey camp going on which our little guy was at.

Bobby spent some time with the little hockey player in our family who was in novice at the time ( now going into Minor Bantam ). The two of them talked for a while, and then Bobby ended up standing by the side of the net, deflecting in our little guy's shots. I've always liked Bobby, and think he was underappreciated a lot this season.

I've got some photos from that day. Bobby was great with the kids.

Great article.

LeafRaker

Jul 28, 2010
Kanata
I truly have believed that this is the year since game 2 in the second round. Sounds like they believe it too. Exciting times in Ottawa!

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Bobby "not as good as" Ryan "Dzingel" has a nice ring to it, but hopefully this article helps put to rest the silly belief that Bobby fell off. If anything, I think we're about to witness a turning point for the better.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Have always supported Ryan, stayed away from the player thread for most of this season though.

Hope he continues his success as he is an amazing community and personable guy. Love that on the team.

I forgot who it was, but a panelist during the Rangers game on post game show raved about how he is essentially an assistant coach on the bench in how he coordinates everyone.

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
People always seem to assume that money makes these guys into emotionally bullet proof targets. It simply isn't the case. They get stressed out just like everyone else and they have normal emotions. The money doesn't change that.

Bobby Ryan seems like a real stand up guy and I'm proud that he's playing for the Sens.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Have always supported Ryan, stayed away from the player thread for most of this season though.

Hope he continues his success as he is an amazing community and personable guy. Love that on the team.

I forgot who it was, but an panelist during the Rangers game on post game show raved about how he is essentially an assistant coach on the bench in how he coordinates everyone.

During the game this was said by Pierre, who was between benches for the broadcast. Not sure if thats the panelist you're talking about but I'm assuming the comment you heard is at least in reference to that.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
During the game this was said by Pierre, who was between benches for the broadcast. Not sure if thats the panelist you're talking about but I'm assuming the comment you heard is at least in reference to that.

I think so, I do remember someone on the panel team bringing it up on the post-game show analysis.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The lesson of the article is: you meet better people at the bookstore than at the grocery store.

Seriously though, there's some good insight in the article. I wonder why they tried to mold Ryan into Hornqvist while there might have been better fits for the job? Also, if the philosophy is to have presence if front of the net I don't see it executed as systematically or as often as it should. Very often this year I found myself yelling at the TV: "someone go to the front of the net"! I guess it's hard to do when your forwards are sitting back.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My favourite two favourite lines from that article are, "Playoff hockey is different. A lot of the goals aren’t pretty – they’re a battle. And the longer you play, the more toughness starts to count for more than skill".

Could not have said that better myself.

And ... "Playoff hockey isn’t played man-for-man. It’s all about who’s the better team".

:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad