Bobby Ryan v. Dustin Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Ryan, hard to argue against a player picked 2nd after Crosby.

We won't really know for 5 years though. Obviously right now Brown is better since he is an NHLer but in the long run Ryan's upside is higher.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
AgentNaslund said:
Dustin Brown Cause hes a better skater.

Ducks have a tendency to draft guys that have skating issues and by the time they make it pro they skate just fine. (see Lupul, Getzlaf, Perry)

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
McDonald19 said:

We won't really know for 5 years though. Obviously right now Brown is better since he is an NHLer but in the long run Ryan's upside is higher.

Being drafted after Crosby really means absolutely nothing. The 2003 draft was much better than 05. I get the feeling that his draft postion is the only thing you are basing this "higher upside" on as well.

Sure they may skate fine once they get to the NHL, but that still doesn't make them great skaters. And when you are talking about two players who play a similar game, and have similar skills, the better skater wins out everytime.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Legionnaire said:
Being drafted after Crosby really means absolutely nothing. The 2003 draft was much better than 05. I get the feeling that his draft postion is the only thing you are basing this "higher upside" on as well.

Sure they may skate fine once they get to the NHL, but that still doesn't make them great skaters. And when you are talking about two players who play a similar game, and have similar skills, the better skater wins out everytime.

Yeah it means something. We all know how good the 03 draft was, but the fact is Ryan is one of those players that doesn't come along very often either. His potential is clearly higher than Browns.

how about which player has a better shot and is more creative with the puck, I'd take that over better skater.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
McDonald19 said:
Yeah it means something. We all know how good the 03 draft was, but the fact is Ryan is one of those players that doesn't come along very often either. His potential is clearly higher than Browns.

how about which player has a better shot and is more creative with the puck, I'd take that over better skater.

:biglaugh: We're talking Bobby Ryan here. He's good, but he ain't no second coming. Brown's shot easily rivals Ryan's. Creativty with the puck? Good lord you make it sound like he's Mario Lemiuex. Get a grip. While Brown is more of a north south player, the difference between the two is not that great. It's not as though Ryan can dipsy-doodle through a whole team or thread the needle like Oates. He has slightly better vision. Brown's skating is far, far better.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
McDonald19 said:
Yeah it means something.

Pat Falloon was drafted right after Eric Lindros. What does that mean to you?

Draft position means jack.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Legionnaire said:

I wouldn't say Brown's game is like Ryan's at all. I also think you're shortchanging Ryan's skillset a bit here. Brown is one of my favorite prospects, but he's definately a notch below Ryan skill-wise. Yes, he's a better skater than Ryan, but Ryan is also considerably bigger and more powerful.

Roger's Pancreas*

Legionnaire said:
:biglaugh: We're talking Bobby Ryan here. He's good, but he ain't no second coming. Brown's shot easily rivals Ryan's. Creativty with the puck? Good lord you make it sound like he's Mario Lemiuex. Get a grip. While Brown is more of a north south player, the difference between the two is not that great. It's not as though Ryan can dipsy-doodle through a whole team or thread the needle like Oates. He has slightly better vision. Brown's skating is far, far better.

I think I've heard that somehwere but I just can't put a finger on where exactly.

I'd take Ryan based on his offensive creativity. He's slow on his skates but that's only one knock against him; He can take shots himself and he's also a gritty playmaker that can take a ton of abuse. His heads on straight and always has the team before him mentality which I love. The skating is his only real flaw, otherwise he's pretty good all around.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Ryan has much higher upside, Brown is much more likely to reach his upside.

If both reach their potential this wouldn't even be an issue, Ryan would be head & shoulders above Brown but since things rarely go according to the plan, it's hard to say which one to pick.

AgentNaslund*

well I wouldnt be surprised if Bobby Ryan one day rips it up. Back in 2003, Dustin Brown was in the same levels of Bobby Ryan. Potential top pick. I ment like, Bobby Ryan would have went anywhere between, 2-5, the same with Dustin Brown. He dropped to 11, but he could have went number 2 as well, because of his scoring abilities. He was regarded as one of the best prospects going into the 2003 draft.

Transported Upstater

Rabid Ranger said:
I wouldn't say Brown's game is like Ryan's at all. I also think you're shortchanging Ryan's skillset a bit here. Brown is one of my favorite prospects, but he's definately a notch below Ryan skill-wise. Yes, he's a better skater than Ryan, but Ryan is also considerably bigger and more powerful.

Brown and Ryan are very different players.

And I would take them both.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
IMO, comparing these two players, who are very different and far apart in NHL-readiness, is just looking to start a fight between Ducks and Kings fans. The only reason I see for a Ducks fan to post this is to hope that unbiased readers pick the Ducks player over the Kings player, providing a boost to the egos of Ducks fans and a blow to the egos of Kings fan. Is this really necessary?

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I haven't seen Brown but I've been to a few Owen Sound games and Bobby Ryan is amazing. His skating isn't as bad as adverstised and his combination of imposing size, elite skill, and creativity is awesome.

Randall Graves*

I have to wonder how much you guys have watched Ryan play. Both are potential power forwards but play a different style, Ryans offensive upside is higher.

Old Hickory

Osprey said:
IMO, comparing these two players, who are very different and far apart in NHL-readiness, is just looking to start a fight between Ducks and Kings fans. The only reason I see for a Ducks fan to post this is to hope that unbiased readers pick the Ducks player over the Kings player, providing a boost to the egos of Ducks fans and a blow to the egos of Kings fan. Is this really necessary?
Easily the best post in this thread

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Rabid Ranger said:

It will be in the future. Ryan's game is different, but his moves are not going to fly in the NHL the way they do in juniors.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
McDonald19 said:

He was actually considered a reach at 2 if i'm not mistaken. Many thought he would be taken 5-10.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Legionnaire said:
It will be in the future. Ryan's game is different, but his moves are not going to fly in the NHL the way they do in juniors.

What moves are those? His toe drag? Ryan's game is predicated on the fact that he's as strong as an ox coupled with elite skill. By the time he makes the NHL he'll likely be 6'3'' 230 lbs. I think that will "fly" at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad