Proposal: Bobby Ryan to the Oilers

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I can see Ryan easily getting a 2nd at the deadline, maybe more. Vet player on a 20 goal pace, I believe he is a RS RW which is coveted. Only making 1M, if DET retains (won't necessarily need to) his cap hit to the acquiring team would be something like 250K. If DET takes back a contract the cap hit would probably be a wash or maybe even free up cap space. I can see plenty of contenders wanting to add that for a playoff run.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If Ken Holland makes anymore deals with his former team then he's going to get himself fired.

That being said, it would take Edmonton's 2nd round pick (which we already have) and possibly a 4th for Bobby Ryan.
Even though he's only got 12 points that's good for first on a shitty Detroit team. we're starved for offense.

Or! (And Ken Holland loves to do trades like this...) What about if we send you the 2nd round pick back, AND Bobby Ryan for Edmonton's 1st?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If Ken Holland makes anymore deals with his former team then he's going to get himself fired.

That being said, it would take Edmonton's 2nd round pick (which we already have) and possibly a 4th for Bobby Ryan.
Even though he's only got 12 points that's good for first on a shitty Detroit team. we're starved for offense.

Or! (And Ken Holland loves to do trades like this...) What about if we send you the 2nd round pick back, AND Bobby Ryan for Edmonton's 1st?

Is that a joke?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Didn't Bobby just want to be new NJ/home?

Philly is Bobby's true home city if thats what your getting at.

But lets be honest. Bobby is a wonderful person and a human that I admire. But teams were not lining up to sign him this offseason, and its likely that he took one of (if not the only) contract available to him. And Im guessing that any team south of the boarder could have signed him.

Having said that, on his current contract he would be a great add for a legit playoff team with good centers that wants to add one more top 6/9 winger that can score big goals. Hes shown that he has another gear in the playoffs when hes all fired up.

A 2nd rounder seems like a fair deal for a former 2nd OV star player.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd pass on Ryan. I don't see him as enough of a difference marker to be sending out assets for.

Lots of spare parts being offered here. Poster asked for Samorukov. If he's available it's in a package for a clear upgrade or impact rental (likely won't do that either) like Hall 50% at the deadline.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds like a bad fit.

I'd listen on Glendening, although his defensive metrics don't seem to match his reputation. But at least putatively he is the sort of player Edmonton is short on. Bobby Ryan? Not short on that. Edmonton should be looking to add strong defensive forwards.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
even in his last 2 years, he has 20 points in 47 games(19 being at EV), on some questionable teams.
Hey now!

There's nothing "questionable" about how bad my team is...

Also, I'm not interested in a 3rd. I like the guy and if a 3rd is the best offer I'd rather keep him around, it seems like he's helping our kids learn a few things. And this coming from a fan who has extreme bias against ex-Ducks.

2nd or gtfo.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Hey now!

There's nothing "questionable" about how bad my team is...

Also, I'm not interested in a 3rd. I like the guy and if a 3rd is the best offer I'd rather keep him around, it seems like he's helping our kids learn a few things. And this coming from a fan who has extreme bias against ex-Ducks.

2nd or gtfo.

If you're asking for a 2nd I think the GTFO part kind of applies more to you than Oiler fans.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
lol, Oilers fans are the ones asking for Bobby Ryan. As I've said, we're more than happy to keep him if we can't get at least a 2nd.

They are? It looks to me like Oiler fans are almost universally against this trade. I don't know about the OP, not sure who he cheers for,

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
They are? It looks to me like Oiler fans are almost universally against this trade. I don't know about the OP, not sure who he cheers for,
I mean this thread is literally
I think the Oilers should take a page on Bobby Ryan
Therefore I responded to the OP, for the price you are offering, gtfo.

Pretty straightforward.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'd pass on Ryan. I don't see him as enough of a difference marker to be sending out assets for.

Lots of spare parts being offered here. Poster asked for Samorukov. If he's available it's in a package for a clear upgrade or impact rental (likely won't do that either) like Hall 50% at the deadline.
I'd take a chance on him, but not for a second. Few teams wanted him this summer. I get that he is playing well, but that doesn't mean that all of a sudden, teams who could have signed him without giving up assets are going to line up and overpay for him. I'd bring in Bobby Ryan. But it would need to be for a later pick than is being discussed here.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I mean this thread is literally
Therefore I responded to the OP, for the price you are offering, gtfo.

Pretty straightforward.

lol, Oilers fans are the ones asking for Bobby Ryan. As I've said, we're more than happy to keep him if we can't get at least a 2nd.

When you said Oiler fans are asking for him that is what I disagreed with. I think you're overrating Bobby Ryan's value quite a bit, but each to their own.

Torsten

Jan 12, 2020
Ryan has really impressed me this year, hes been one of the bright sports on a awful detroit team. I think alot of playoff teams could use him, and he is on a very cheap cap hit. Anything less then a second ronder and I would gladly keep him and would not mind stigning him for next year as well if he wants to stay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->